Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New York advice appreciated

New York advice appreciated

Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default New York advice appreciated

Hello chaps
Im meeting my friend from the UK in New York in November. I’ve been before but years ago. It’s her first time. We have 5 days of total touristy things.. sight seeing and shopping. Question.. which location to is best to base ourselves? . I’ve been researching but it’s overwhelming. Midtown? Flatiron/ Union sq district. Chelsea?
Also pushing it but if you can recommend any reasonable hotels that would be a bonus.
Thanks muchly
Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York advice appreciated

If you don't mind spending big bucks then, of course, midtown is the poison of choice. Many people settle at a hotel in New Jersey and take the Path train into the city for sightseeing. You can check yourself on the rates for New York City hotel charges. Use hotels.com or expedia.com or Travelocity.com Chelsea is a trendy area where the movie stars like to live and hangout. Flatiron is around 34th street, I believe. Near the Empire State Building if I remember correctly. I've never stayed at a hotel in NYC as I worked in the city for nearly my entire adult life between 34th and 51st streets.

Is she flying into New York or New Jersey?
Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete...JFK I believe. I’ve been looking at Chelsea.. seems an interesting area
Old Sep 17th 2018, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a few times to visit my cousin. There's a few deals to be had on AirBnb but they're usually booked up or require a few nights minimum.

All of the touristy things seem to get pretty substantial queues so I'd get there early... Or be prepared to wait a little.

Also may sound obvious but do research using alternative transport (subway etc)... A few Ubers here and there (especially from JFK) cost a fortune.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 6:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If coming to JFK, you can take the subway or a shuttle bus into Manhattan. The shuttle has two stops that I am aware of one is at Penn Station and the other is at Grand Central. You can cab it to the hotel from there or if the hotel is mid-town you can walk. New York is very walkable if you are young and healthy.

As for sightseeing, depends on what you and she want to see. There's the Empire State Building, Hard Rock Café (don't know why people like it personally), Rockefeller Center, (all mid-town), Statute of Liberty, Ellis Island (tip of Manhattan), Wall Street, China Town, Little Italy, Harlem's Church of the Divine or spend some time on the Hop On and Hof Off double decker bus for the day. Great jazz clubs and cafe's in Greenwich Village. Central Park has the zoo and in November ice skating which is cheaper than ice skating in Rockefeller Plaza. Catch the taping of the Good Morning America show at Rockefeller Plaza in the morning. Times Square isn't so bad these days and you can stand on line for discounted Broadway shows for that day in Times Square as well. Go into Grand Central and literally star gaze at the stars on the ceiling. They are done in the reverse of what you would see if you outside. They viewed as if you were looking down to earth from beyond the stars. Great Jewish delis and one is located on the lower level for your pastrami, brisket or corned beef sandwich on Jewish Rye bread. Next to it is Junior's which has New York famous cheesecake.

If you are adventurous, have a dirty water dog from a street vendor. I love them and nearly all my visitors who I've taken to the city have insisted on having one. If you are in the mood for German wursts, there is a street ventor at 61st and 6th Avenue at lunchtime for a wurst platter with German potato salad and kraut.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all. Much obliged. Great info
Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If coming to JFK, you can take the subway or a shuttle bus into Manhattan. The shuttle has two stops that I am aware of one is at Penn Station and the other is at Grand Central. You can cab it to the hotel from there or if the hotel is mid-town you can walk. New York is very walkable if you are young and healthy..
Or take the Airtrain to Jamaica and then the LIRR to Penn: probably the fastest way to get to Midtown from the airport.

I won't try to improve on Rete's advice re sightseeing, other than to say if you're going to stay in Chelsea then the Rubin Museum on W 17th St might be worth a look. Himalayan art from India, Nepal and Tibet. Very interesting and quite different from most museums.

As to hotels, well we live in the 'burbs so we only rarely stay at hotels in Manhattan, usually if we're going to a show and don't fancy schlepping back late at night. The problem with a lot of NYC hotels is street noise, so try to find one on one of the one-way streets rather than avenues as they tend to be a bit quieter. The last place we stayed was the Cambria on W 46th St which was pleasant and not too noisy. I see they have one on 28th St in Chelsea so that might be worth a try.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 8:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I second the suggestions for Grand Central Terminal and the Rubin. Wet day, and you can spend it all in MoMA or the Met, or both. Nice day, the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan is fun. And lots of folks like to sneak a look inside Bloomingdales!
Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:23 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

I would personally avoid staying in the Times Square area as it is so crowded and touristy. Chelsea and the Flatiron District are well-located. There is SO much to do in NYC, but I would recommend starting with either (or both) the hop on and hop off bus tour or the Circle Line boat tour to get your bearings. I've been up most of the tall buildings in Manhattan and my favorite is the Top of the Rock because there are great views of everything, including the Empire State Building (which you can't see when you're on top of it!) The Met and MoMa are the two must-see museums.

Expedia, Trip Advisor etc. are good to get ideas on prices and availability, but you will get the best rates by booking directly with the hotel.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

If you're into art the Frick Collection is wonderful, and much less time consuming or overwhelming than the Met.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

Chelsea Market is fantastic - lots of great places to eat. The Highline is also worth doing and is in the same area. A wander around Greenwich Villiage is also a must I think, you wouldn't know you were in Manhatten. If you are anywhere near Wall Street/Battery Park area grab a cocktail in Dead Rabbits - won "best bar in the world", and as ridiculous as having any type of award like that is it's a good spot.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If coming to JFK, you can take the subway or a shuttle bus into Manhattan. The shuttle has two stops that I am aware of one is at Penn Station and the other is at Grand Central. You can cab it to the hotel from there or if the hotel is mid-town you can walk. New York is very walkable if you are young and healthy.

As for sightseeing, depends on what you and she want to see. There's the Empire State Building, Hard Rock Café (don't know why people like it personally), Rockefeller Center, (all mid-town), Statute of Liberty, Ellis Island (tip of Manhattan), Wall Street, China Town, Little Italy, Harlem's Church of the Divine or spend some time on the Hop On and Hof Off double decker bus for the day. Great jazz clubs and cafe's in Greenwich Village. Central Park has the zoo and in November ice skating which is cheaper than ice skating in Rockefeller Plaza. Catch the taping of the Good Morning America show at Rockefeller Plaza in the morning. Times Square isn't so bad these days and you can stand on line for discounted Broadway shows for that day in Times Square as well. Go into Grand Central and literally star gaze at the stars on the ceiling. They are done in the reverse of what you would see if you outside. They viewed as if you were looking down to earth from beyond the stars. Great Jewish delis and one is located on the lower level for your pastrami, brisket or corned beef sandwich on Jewish Rye bread. Next to it is Junior's which has New York famous cheesecake.

If you are adventurous, have a dirty water dog from a street vendor. I love them and nearly all my visitors who I've taken to the city have insisted on having one. If you are in the mood for German wursts, there is a street ventor at 61st and 6th Avenue at lunchtime for a wurst platter with German potato salad and kraut.
It's St. John the Divine. A beautiful Protestant church.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 6:16 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by NYer
It's St. John the Divine. A beautiful Protestant church.
Thanks. I have passed this beautiful church so very often but have never been inside. The way of a New Yorker, I suppose. We very often do not visit the touristy things ourselves. I worked in the Empire State Building for years and until then never went inside. The same with World Trade Center. Viewed it from the outside. Shuttered and refused to enter it for any reason whatsoever. Only went to the Statute of Liberty and Ellis Island with friends visiting New York. Have never been the Central Park Zoo or ice skating on the rinks I mentioned although I love the Bronx Zoo and ice skate on the many ponds and lakes in Westchester.
Old Nov 30th 2018, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Came back from NY a couple of weeks ago. Had the BEST TIME. love love love this city.
Great airport transfers. My friend booked on Expedia in uk. £54 for 2 people round trip.
We stayed 45 e street. The Roosevelt. An older hotel but adequate for our needs. Good location. Mixed weather. Dumped rain and I’m afraid California has made this northern lass a bit soft coz I found it freezing.
We walked and walked.
also went to Woodbury which if you are an outlet shopping fan is great.
We did however not eat great in the evenings. More research needed but made the trip to Katz’s deli.
Cant wait to go again with the hubster maybe April.
Going to stay Greenwich village or West Broadway. Cute as pie! ( never said that when I lived in the boro!)
A true NYC lover here!
Old Nov 30th 2018, 8:25 pm
Concierge

I use to walk through the Roosevelt Hotel to get further uptown when the weather was inclement. Lovely hotel and nice location.

Woodbury Commons on the Westchester/Orange County border? Or is there another Woodbury. Not a fan of outlets, myself.

Shame damn fine restaurants in that area having worked on 51st and Park for many years. Want lovely dinners and for a cheaper price then go to Restaurant Row in the theater district for the pre-fixed dinners served before the show.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.