Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New Jersey man faces seven years in jail for complying with the law

Wikiposts

New Jersey man faces seven years in jail for complying with the law

Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:47 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Jersey man faces seven years in jail for complying with the law

Brian Aitken's Mistake
A New Jersey man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner.

Radley Balko | November 15, 2010

"Sue Aitken called the police because she was worried about her son, Brian. She now lives with the guilt of knowing that her phone call is the reason Brian spent his 27th birthday in a New Jersey prison last month. If the state gets its way, he will be there for the next seven years."

http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/1...itkens-mistake

New Jersey - what a shiathole. Glad I don't live there.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:57 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Jersey man faces seven years in jail for complying with the law

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Brian Aitken's Mistake

"Sue Aitken called the police because she was worried about her son, Brian. She now lives with the guilt of knowing that her phone call is the reason Brian spent his 27th birthday in a New Jersey prison last month. If the state gets its way, he will be there for the next seven years."

I can think of worse places.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Brian Aitken's Mistake

As is typical in such cases the title of this post is misleading.

He was given a 7 year sentence for allegedly *not* complying with the law.

You can argue that the law is wrong and that the judge erred in not allowing the jury to consider all of the evidence and I would probably not disagree with you but that is different from saying that he got 7 years for "complying with the law" ...
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:39 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

What did he do wrong? He was transporting his guns during the relocation period. He called the cops to make sure he was legal.

The judge is an asshat and acted in a assholish manner. Karma if something terrible happens to him.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:54 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

It was there that the police confronted Aitken. Although they determined he wasn't a threat to himself or anyone else, they searched his car, where they found his handguns. They were locked, unloaded, and stored in the trunk, as federal and New Jersey law require for guns in transport. The police arrested Aitken anyway, charging him with unlawful possession of a weapon.
Surely the whole case is squashed if this is true and if he was moving them between residences??
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:36 am
Peace onion

The judge suppressed mitigating evidence, include the phone call made to the NJ police for advice on how to legally transport his legally purchased, legally held firearms.

I, for one, can sure sleep safer knowing this law-abiding innocent man potentially violent potential criminal is incarcerated, no doubt having run up significant legal bills.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Nov 16th 2010 at 10:52 am.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Brian Aitken's Mistake

In regards to Mr. Aitken's particular case, my examination of Google indicates that Mr. Aitken wrote his own press releases. Inasmuch as firearms is a hot emotional topic, Mr. Aitken's own writing appears to me to have propogated in a viral fashion.

I simply did not see any independent information on Mr. Aiken's case. In regards to Judge Morely -- now that is interesting. Judgeships in New Jersey are quite political. And there was a change in 2009 when Christie replaced Corzine as governor.

There has been some controversy about Judge Morely -- but the topics are actually "sexier" than Mr. Aitken -- see this one at NewJersey.com and this one from a law firm quoting from a Philadelphia paper.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Nov 17th 2010 at 12:05 am.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:30 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

We only have one side of the argument, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand based on what I've seen down here in NM. We even had one judge who would only accept pleas of 'guilty' or 'no contest' from defendants who were representing themselves.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
We only have one side of the argument, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand based on what I've seen down here in NM. We even had one judge who would only accept pleas of 'guilty' or 'no contest' from defendants who were representing themselves.
This thread has been on my mind -- it has, shall we say, percolating in the brain.

In reading the facts set forth by Mr. Aitken, I don't think he is a poster child for freedom to "bear arms." Contrary to the description, an argument may be made that he is an "irresponsible" gun owner who is not so "innocent."
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:54 am
Peace onion

How so?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:08 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Contrary to the description, an argument may be made that he is an "irresponsible" gun owner who is not so "innocent."
An argument may always be made. Having been made, an argument may be judged on its merits. But not while it only exists in potentia. It's presumptively just bollocks, until it's articulated.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:54 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
An argument may always be made. Having been made, an argument may be judged on its merits. But not while it only exists in potentia. It's presumptively just bollocks, until it's articulated.
I dare you to say that to my face.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting to comment on this thread.

I keep throwing the guy's name into Google News....and drawing an almost blank.

Strange!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This thread has been on my mind -- it has, shall we say, percolating in the brain.

In reading the facts set forth by Mr. Aitken, I don't think he is a poster child for freedom to "bear arms." Contrary to the description, an argument may be made that he is an "irresponsible" gun owner who is not so "innocent."

Come to Arizona where we don't need 'no stinkin' papers'.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...apons-law.html
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:05 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I dare you to say that to my face.
Only if you buy me a beer next time I'm in Dallas.

I would need the Dutch courage...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.