Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New iPhones and Apple Watches, oh my!

New iPhones and Apple Watches, oh my!

Old Sep 14th 2019, 2:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New iPhones and Apple Watches, oh my!

Same for me, had an ipod around that time, 2006 ish somewhere around there, never really used it though, but never bought another apple product since.

Originally Posted by RICH
My ex sister-in-law gave me an ipod for xmas in 2005. It got stolen in 2009. That is the extent of my Apple experience!
Old Sep 14th 2019, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Each to his own. For me, I was totally anti-Apple and had Android phones literally from day one. I had the original Droid on launch day and kept it updated with the latest software versions and apps. I got to the point where I had so much Google software and everything else that my battery was dying by 2:00pm!

When my next renewal came along, I decided to get an iPhone to compare it with what I was used to. That was about six years ago. I loved the fact that I couldn't 'tinker' with the iPhone and it lasted a good two days at a time. I upgraded to the 6s and passed the 5s to my DW, who used it for two years until my 6s was due to be upgraded. She tool that and the 5s got passed to my 91-year-old father in law, who still uses it today. I got the X two years ago and again, I'll pass that on to my wife when I get the 11 Pro Max next week. FiL will continue to use the 5s and the 6s will be a spare.

I sometimes wonder how much Android has improved, but I still enjoy the Apple eco-system and have iPads and Watches that would need to be updated with Android devices, so I'll stick with iOS, WatchOS and iPadOS for now.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Its certainly exciting, although I've never done it at launch. Going from an X to an 11, I hardly think you will notice. I think the iphone can easily go for 3+ years now and not feel very different from the newest one. The battery is what gets gassed eventually.

The watch however, you will be pleased with. I went from a Watch 1 to a Watch 4, and the real estate is much bigger now, and very noticeable. And for me the battery went from 3/4 day to 1.5 days. And it is much faster. Luckily I haven't fallen, but it has asked me if I have (once a football hit my arm). The EKG etc., are also very useful
Old Sep 14th 2019, 10:30 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
Going from an X to an 11, I hardly think you will notice.
I wanted a larger screen than my X offers. The 11 Pro Max gave me that. I often need to remote in to one of the PCs at the ER, whilst possible with the X the larger screen really makes a difference for my aging eyes. I can skip carrying a laptop/iPad for most short trips now.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Gave up with Apple after Steve Jobs died and I didn't see much innovation out of them.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 4:49 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I upgraded to an 8 this year. I would've got a later model, except they don't have finger print readers (very useful for opening the device on the lap or table, when I'm too lazy to pick it up. I hope the rumours about bringing the finger print reader back for next years model are true.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
I upgraded to an 8 this year. I would've got a later model, except they don't have finger print readers (very useful for opening the device on the lap or table, when I'm too lazy to pick it up. I hope the rumours about bringing the finger print reader back for next years model are true.
I hope so too...have to take my sunglasses off to open the phone.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I Have some pretty dark Maui Jim sunglasses and I never have to take them off for my phone!

As for the fingerprint reader, I'm delighted to have gotten rid of it. The rumour is that a fingerprint reader may be built in to the screen, not a button, for the future, but I sure hope they keep the facial recognition!
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I hope so too...have to take my sunglasses off to open the phone.
No you don't - not if you make a quick change in your settings:

Settings ---->Face ID & Passcode ---->Require Attention for Face ID (it will be turned on)...Tap it to Turn Off!

and Voilá....keep your sunglasses on with Face ID

and to make doubly sure you can go back to:

Settings --->General --->Accessibility--->Face ID & Attention--->Require Attention for Face ID---Tap to Turn Off (if it's not already)
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
but I sure hope they keep the facial recognition!
I'm sure they will because they (meaning Apple) say it's even more secure than Fingerprint ID.

It creeped me out to begin with.
After 30 seconds I was sold.
Now feel I couldn't be without it - which I am on my iPad - and it's annoying

Old Sep 16th 2019, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

Settings ---->Face ID & Passcode ---->Require Attention for Face ID (it will be turned on)...Tap it to Turn Off!

Settings --->General --->Accessibility--->Face ID & Attention--->Require Attention for Face ID---Tap to Turn Off (if it's not already)
You shouldn't actually need to do that, I haven't turned that off and can unlock my phone wearing sunglasses.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 8:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

Originally Posted by Olly_
You shouldn't actually need to do that, I haven't turned that off and can unlock my phone wearing sunglasses.

Sorry I should have said they have mirrored lenses. Regular sunnies are OK, it’s the mirrored Ray Bans that are the problem.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 10:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry I should have said they have mirrored lenses. Regular sunnies are OK, it’s the mirrored Ray Bans that are the problem.
well it's either take your glasses off, or put one of your G & Ts down.

Old Sep 16th 2019, 11:45 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I’m happy without the fingerprint reader - I find the face recognition way more convenient and more reliable.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I’m happy without the fingerprint reader - I find the face recognition way more convenient and more reliable.
Both would be nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.