Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New iPhones and Apple Watches, oh my!

New iPhones and Apple Watches, oh my!

Old Sep 13th 2019, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default New iPhones and Apple Watches, oh my!

'Tis the season...

The iPhone 11 and Apple Watch Series 5 were announced on Tuesday, along with a new base iPad.

For the first time, I have jumped on the bandwagon and ordered a new phone and watch, both of which I managed to place the order early enough to have them delivered on launch day, next Friday, September 20th!

I have a Series 3 watch and was considering the upgrade to the S4 because of the fall detection. As many of you know, I had a sepsis episode earlier this year and, combined with my lack of balance through neuropathy, really need this feature. I reached the four year landmark of quitting smoking, so I was due to buy myself a present anyway, so I waited for the new model.

As for the phone, I am due an upgrade. My iPhone X will be passed to my DW to replace her 6s and I'm getting the iPhone 11 Pro Max. My payments will increase by just a few cents over $4.00/Mo to get the bigger size.

This is the first time I got the 'launch-day' bug and I must admit, it's pretty cool!

Anyone else planning on upgrading?
Old Sep 13th 2019, 5:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New iPhones and Apple Watches, oh my!

The fall detector on the watch is useful. The dog tripped me up on a walk and I was left lying in the road and my S4 watch detected my plight. Mrs L was greatly amused. I haven't purchased on launch day for some years but it was fun tracking the FedEx package out of China when I did. Was going to replace my 7S+ but as the 11 doesn't have 5G decided to pass.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
'
No, I kept my last iPhone for five years and have had this one for three.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

'Tis the season...

The iPhone 11 and Apple Watch Series 5 were announced on Tuesday, along with a new base iPad.
For the first time, I have jumped on the bandwagon and ordered a new phone and watch, both of which I managed to place the order early enough to have them delivered on launch day, next Friday, September 20th!
I have a Series 3 watch and was considering the upgrade to the S4 because of the fall detection. As many of you know, I had a sepsis episode earlier this year and, combined with my lack of balance through neuropathy, really need this feature. I reached the four year landmark of quitting smoking, so I was due to buy myself a present anyway, so I waited for the new model.
As for the phone, I am due an upgrade. My iPhone X will be passed to my DW to replace her 6s and I'm getting the iPhone 11 Pro Max. My payments will increase by just a few cents over $4.00/Mo to get the bigger size.

This is the first time I got the 'launch-day' bug and I must admit, it's pretty cool!

Nah...was completely underwhelmed by everything.
Which was a relief - no temptation to resist...

My XR - purchased just 6 mos. ago - is just as good as the 11 upgrade, far as I'm concerned
Believe it or not - it replaced a 5s which I'd used since release day Sept. 2013 (!) - back in the Dark Ages
And loved.
I find the XR a technical marvel and aesthetic horror - a big, heavy, clunky brick - its 3 buttons in the wrong positions

My iPad Mini4 does all I need it for - and more
Still use my original iPad Mini as well
and have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro...which, tho technically great, pales beside the mid-2010 MacBook Pro it replaced.

Bottom line - tho I remain an Apple acolyte - I feel they've lost their Zen/Aesthetic sensibility since Steve Job's passing.
Fugly has replaced Subtle,

Old Sep 13th 2019, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

The days of me getting excited about the latest iPhone release and buying it on launch day have long since passed. More than happy with my current XS max.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Had the iPhone X since the day of release, passing it onto the wife as her iPhone 8 is destroyed and has been barely working for a while so upgraded to the 11 Pro.

Had a watch last year as a birthday gift from work, promptly gave it to my wife. Cannot stand the thing, I basically look at the watch and see I have a text message or email and then proceed to pick my iPhone up.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 8:58 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I've never bought on launch day, except this year. I was awake anyway as it was 7am Central. I ordered the new iPhone and decided to replace my Series 4 watch at the same time. I'm not at all concerned about 5G, it is not available in anything but a few isolated areas. 4G LTE is more than adequate for anything I currently do. 5G will, when and if its ever rolled out across the US, offer sub millisecond latency as posed to several milliseconds at present, so what....
Old Sep 13th 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

It’s weird that the latest iPhone is not supposed to support 5g, and yet my work iPhone XR shows me connected to a 5g network? Surely if it’s only getting 4g coverage, it should say as such?
Old Sep 13th 2019, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

What carrier are you on? I would suggest it's being mis-reported.

It's physically impossible to be using 5G as no iPhone is equipped with the hardware to use the technology, not even the new iPhone 11s.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

What carrier are you on? I would suggest it's being mis-reported.

It's physically impossible to be using 5G as no iPhone is equipped with the hardware to use the technology, not even the new iPhone 11s.
The carrier is first net, it’s a first responder network. Thought I’d run a speed test. It’s definitely quicker. 50mps download, 18.3 upload against my personal phone on Verizon which is 6.25 mps and 12.mps. Quite a big difference. Anyway, as you say, iPhones can’t handle 5g so it must be an error.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not an error, AT&T (who operate FirstNet) updated their carrier bundle a while ago so LTE shows up as 5GE. It's not really 5G, it's just LTE. They did the same with 4G years ago, labelling 3G HSPA as "4G"...

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/5ge/
Old Sep 14th 2019, 12:24 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
It's not an error, AT&T (who operate FirstNet) updated their carrier bundle a while ago so LTE shows up as 5GE. It's not really 5G, it's just LTE. They did the same with 4G years ago, labelling 3G HSPA as "4G"...

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/5ge/
alternative facts, aka marketing?
Old Sep 14th 2019, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
alternative facts, aka marketing?
Indeed
Old Sep 14th 2019, 1:30 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
Indeed
My ex sister-in-law gave me an ipod for xmas in 2005. It got stolen in 2009. That is the extent of my Apple experience!
Old Sep 14th 2019, 2:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I got a new iPhone last year. I change it when my contract runs out...every 2 years. I reuse mine old ones as bedside clocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.