Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New Challenge...Self Build Project

New Challenge...Self Build Project

Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Challenge...Self Build Project

Originally Posted by cricket1
We've only got so much money which has to fund the setting up of a business and a home. At 50, we don't want a mortgage and I don't trust banks anymore so remembering that I built my first home (living on site in a static caravan) when I was 20 (and loved every moment), we are returning to the UK with the intention of buying a plot of land, living on site and building our dream home over the next few years working abd running the business to fund the work.

I am so looking forward to this new challenge. Just wondering if anyone has done the same in the last few years? Planning applications are much more flexible than they used to be which is good. Not as much red tape. The last time I built a house was 6 years ago so things may have got even easier.
The first thing we are going to do is build an outside brick oven because the house will have a walled garden and vegetable plot.
We'll also have to install a portacabin for a laundry and shower, etc. I'm starting the new year with this new vision of having to do it tough for a few years but I'm sure it will be worth it. No debt, no mortgage and a great super fund that will only go up instead of down.

I would love to do the same if we ever go back, I don't mind hard work or mess . It would be nice to have a house 99% the way you wan't it, best of luck 2 you