Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Nettie's Road Trip, May 2010

Nettie's Road Trip, May 2010

Old May 21st 2010, 6:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nettie's Road Trip, May 2010

Reminds me, a few years back, Grayling was it, that did a blog and photo tour of his journey around Oz? I love stuff like this,
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:33 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Subscriberinos

Sorry for the hiatus: NO internet access in Yellowstone. Now out of the park (at Bozeman, MT, and just about ready to go and get some dinner).

As far as the next set of photographs goes, I had a problem with my camera: it wouldn't stop taking frickin' photographs, so I now have some 700 I need to sort through, and decide which ones to post. It's going to take some time, so nothing more tonight, I'm afraind.

However, Yellowstone was UNBELIEVABLE. Probably the most amazing place I have ever been.

Will update this thread when I have more info.

Oh, go on then, a couple of tasters:

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River from the North Rim (yes, we had about 3" of snow today):

The Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River:

One of the springs at West Thumb. Can't remember the name of this one: will post later when I can:

Here's a Pronghorn Antelope that we spotted about 5 minutes before we left the park:

Last edited by nettlebed; May 23rd 2010 at 12:35 am.
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's awesome

How busy is it up round these parts right now? I think Jellystone is the most popular NP.
Old May 23rd 2010, 1:05 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Wow, that's awesome

How busy is it up round these parts right now? I think Jellystone is the most popular NP.
Actually, I think Grand Smoky is the busiest, but Jelly is second for sure...

It wasn't too busy today, but all accommodation in the whole park is fully booked starting the end of next week, through to the end of the season, apparently!

We knew we were taking a chance with the weather (base altitude averages around 7000', with mountains on all four sides) but we decided to risk that rather than put up with the KNOWN annoyance of a packed park. As it was, we lucked out amazingly. Yesterday, we drove over Dunraven Pass (around 8700'). It was the first time this season the pass was open, and it was closed again today. Also, we got to see the Grand Canyon of the YS River in snow (today) AND sunshine (yesterday).

Last edited by nettlebed; May 23rd 2010 at 2:48 am.
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:53 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say how much I love this thread!
Old May 23rd 2010, 4:14 am
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Just wanted to say how much I love this thread!
Thanks, and thanks to everybody for the Vitamin K and positive comments. I love the National Parks, and the NPS represents what we (Americans) should be investing in. One of the things that made me very happy while driving through Yellowstone was the number of construction projects (needed for the park infrastructure) that were being funded by the the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. I saw American tax dollars being used to pay Americans to develop America. A far cry indeed from the waste of money and lives - both American and foreign - being funded by useless wars abroad.

And on a happier note, here are some bison standing in some cold water in the Hayden Valley on the East side of the park:

Old May 23rd 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow, more fab pics. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 23rd 2010, 1:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

National Geographic quality methinks!!
Old May 23rd 2010, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
National Geographic quality methinks!!
Seconded
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Actually, I think Grand Smoky is the busiest, but Jelly is second for sure...
Oh noes, we are heading to Gatlinburg tommorow!

I read (probably in a Bill Bryson book) that something like 80% of the visitors to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area don't actually visit the Park.

Last edited by The Horticulturalist; May 23rd 2010 at 2:15 pm.
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:40 pm
Shocked of Redmond

I read (probably in a Bill Bryson book) that something like 80% of the visitors to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area don't actually visit the Park.
Yep, that's described in The Lost Continent, one of the funniest travel books I have ever read. He describes Gatlinburg as one of the tackiest places he has ever been.

Have fun!

BTW, message to Charty: no, I didn't see Zephram Cochrane's birthplace, but then again I left my dilithium crystals at home (oh, and my flux capacitor is horked too )

The reason Cochrane was located here, I guess, is because Brannon Braga, one of the show's authors was born here - but I didn't see his birthplace either.
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:41 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Seconded
/me blushes
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:43 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW, message to Charty: no, I didn't see Zephram Cochrane's birthplace, but then again I left my dilithium crystals at home (oh, and my flux capacitor is horked too )

The reason Cochrane was located here, I guess, is because Brannon Braga, one of the show's authors was born here - but I didn't see his birthplace either.

Keep up the good work, Nettie, this is a top thread!
Old May 23rd 2010, 3:47 pm
Sursum corda

Yep, that's described in The Lost Continent, one of the funniest travel books I have ever read. He describes Gatlinburg as one of the tackiest places he has ever been.

Have fun!

I was in Gatlingburg in '74 and I thought it was a tourist trap then. Couldn't wait to get out and visit the park.
Old May 23rd 2010, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I was in Gatlingburg in '74 and I thought it was a tourist trap then. Couldn't wait to get out and visit the park.
Pigeon Forge is awful. (Pancake houses, airbrush t-shirts, Jesus and chainsaw art.) Tacky, tacky, tacky. Gatlinburg is only slightly better. The mountains and hiking you can do there, however, is fantastic. Just skip the towns as much as you can and you'll have a great time.

Consider Asheville in the future too - very close to Gatlinburg and we really liked it.

To the OP - great pics of our country!!! Keep them coming!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.