Netflix

Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

dnolan1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Netflix

Problem with that is easy to spot though.

Even if you keep your DVD for one night only, and return it, it still takes 3 days to get to you, and 3 days to get back to them. Thats 7 days per DVD, you would get 4-5 DVDs a month like this. You can get the same 4-5 DVDs from Redbox for much less.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I just got the email announcement about the price changes and new format. I was on the 1-DVD plus unlimited streaming for $9.99. I find myself mostly watching streamed stuff, but I know there's a lot out there that's only available on DVD, so I hate to give up getting the DVDs completely. I like the flexibility of streaming, I can watch a bunch of different things in a row, in the middle of the night, if I want. Argh. Just when I was all happy with Netflix and singing their praises to my friends, too! Bleh.

I might keep both for a while, and just make sure I turnaround the DVDs quicker...then do only streaming for a while to let the DVD queue build up again. Seems you can easily switch your account setup back and forth anyway.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dnolan1337

Even if you keep your DVD for one night only, and return it, it still takes 3 days to get to you, and 3 days to get back to them. Thats 7 days per DVD, you would get 4-5 DVDs a month like this. You can get the same 4-5 DVDs from Redbox for much less.
That's a long turn around, it takes 1 day each way here.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dnolan1337

Redbox selection is as bad as Blockbuster. And Netflix brings them to me.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
That's a long turn around, it takes 1 day each way here.
Over here, if I send one back on Monday, they receive it Tuesday. They send my next one out on Wednesday and I receive it Thursday. So a few days in between, waiting time.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

You got to be close to your local service center, ours is in another state, we are lucky if we get them in under 4 days.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Over here, if I send one back on Monday, they receive it Tuesday. They send my next one out on Wednesday and I receive it Thursday. So a few days in between, waiting time.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:14 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I usually get the DVD 2 days after I send the one back but as we tend to keep the DVDs for 2 or 3 months at a time with the price changes it will work out just as cheap for us to buy them so I'll be getting rid of the DVD part.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I usually get the DVD 2 days after I send the one back but as we tend to keep the DVDs for 2 or 3 months at a time with the price changes it will work out just as cheap for us to buy them so I'll be getting rid of the DVD part.
I was doing that too, keeping the DVD for a couple of months at a time...I'll have to definitely stop doing that.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I just dropped the streaming part.
I would have dropped the DVD part instead, but our this being east freaking Texas, our options for highspeed internet at a reasonable price are rather limited and expensive. Can't even watch a YouTube video without waiting for it to download completely first. Also, to make the unlimited streaming worthwhile, as opposed to merely a nice add-on, we'd have to get a newer TV and some kind of streaming box, whether that be a PS3, or a Roku box or something like it, and hook it up to the non-existing newer TV.
_I_ would have been fine with just streaming stuff to my computer or the netbook, but watching something with the wife would be rather difficult that way.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

They can shove it up their arse.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
It's not just that the streaming is more limited than the DVD selection, but that they keep removing streaming content. In my instant queue of 198 titles, 48 have been removed from the streaming service.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/tech...dex.htm?iid=EL
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be dropping the DVDs at the end of August and going with streaming only.

DVDs get to me pretty quick, I turn around at least 2 if not 3 in a week.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
Sounds to me like the Wall st bankers have moved in and hi-jacked it all for profit. I really hope they take a good kicking on this one.
Well it did get bought out by what was it, NBC? Massive cluster mess over streaming TV rights and a bunch of the licenses were due to expire this summer, which is probably why this is coming about.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:53 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Currently watching "Cemetery Junction" DVD that arrived today. Cute little film, set in the 70's.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'll be cancelling I think. It takes far too long for movies to get onto streaming and we use it most for movies, streaming the odd TV show and naff Saturday afternoon filrm.

Think its a bit of a kick in the teeth for customers who have been with them for years and built them into the company they are.
I agree. I get maybe 3-5 blu-rays a month and really only stream Thomas the Tank Engine for my son every other day or so, sometimes I get to watch something I want. At the price we pay now it's OK value for both but with the new plans I don't watch enough streaming anymore to justify the streaming only plan and don't get enough discs to justify the disc only plan. It doesn't look like they are going to offer a plan that will work for me. I'd be happy to keep the same price and be capped at 4 discs a month and 15-20 hours of streaming a month but their limited option is a joke, 2 blu-ray rentals a month and 2 hours of computer only streaming for $6!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

If Netflix doubled their streaming account costs, but in return allowed us to view all new releases, etc, I would keep the account.

But as is, their offerings suck balls and I cant justify that account price myself. Hell, I would pay $20 a month to get new releases direct to my TV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.