Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Neighbours Burgled Yesterday

Neighbours Burgled Yesterday

Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neighbours Burgled Yesterday

Fascinating thread. As for the idea of being paranoid "living somewhere like that", during the 7 years I lived in the Bahamas (yeah, you know, Paradise"):

Every house I lived in had every window covered with security bars. Great for stopping people coming in, but if there's a fire how the heck do you get out? Several people I knew had panic rooms that also had security locks.

Despite said bars, burglars climbed up the wall, smashed a window, and used a stick to lift my camera out of my bedroom.

We were burgled, during the night (yes, people in your bedroom while you are sleeping) on three occasions. On one of the occasions, the guy was "caught in the act" and jumped off the balcony with our TV in his hands (first floor) - cops said he probably didnt feel a thing due to being high on drugs,

My car was broken into so many times that I ended up simply leaving it unlocked with some change in the ashtray. Cost me maybe a dollar a week in change to not get my car window smashed.

Had a brick thrown through the windscreen of my car by a kid in a supermarket car park because I had the temerity to give him shit when he was making lascivious gestures to my girlfriend (you know, the kind that involve your tongue).

After a minor traffic altercation, I was threatened with a gun.

I could relate a stack more examples of things that happened to acquaintances (including rape and stabbing of two guests staying at my old house, the year after I left), mostly due to intruders who were high on cocaine.

The funny thing is, back then I never felt my life was in danger. In the same situation these days, I'd be more than a little worried.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr

Vermont has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the USA, yet one of the lowest crime rates....stats show increased gun ownership results in lower crime rates, not the other way round.
depends, VT also has next to no population and it's fairly well clumped...also not many shit holes, though some parts of burlington are a bit rough.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
We actually have an alarm system which gives me a bit of peace of mind (of course so did our neighbours who did not have theirs turned on!). Am thinking about a baseball bat as I don't like the idea of a gun and an 11 year old in the same house (obviously not Texan enough yet).

Someone suggested keeping your car keys next to the bed as well so you can hit the panic button if you hear anything. Haven't tried that yet - do you think it will work through the walls?.

Am thinking I will wake up in the middle of the night, trip over the baseball bat and stab myself with the penknife while struggling to turn on the torch .

Dog not for me and these bad boys have not had their SAS training yet.
Shame, dogs are best at preventing burglary. Maybe you could just get a dog warning sign

The alarm is good, because it will keep emitting noise until turned off. You do remember your silent alarm code right, just in case?

You should probably have the kid sleep in the same room as you. Lock the bedroom door and barricade it with something; you don't have to put a sofa in front of it but if you can jam some wood between the door and a sofa it might buy you enough time to call the cops (or answer the call from the alarm company). Plan your escape route from the bedroom; if you can make it quickly to the front yard and the car that's good, the intruder will be less likely to harm you if you're outside in the open because he'll be worried someone might see.

Keep your cellphone in the bedroom too.

I'd hesitate to recommend a baseball bat to a female. Sorry girls, it's too easy to take that off you. If you don't want a gun then pepper spray and a stun gun is the next best thing if the intruder does make it to your room.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

I'd hesitate to recommend a baseball bat to a female. Sorry girls, it's too easy to take that off you..
If said female played softball for many years, it probably wouldn't be too easy.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:03 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
If said female played softball for many years, it probably wouldn't be too easy.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:05 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My father had me carry a tire billy and instructed me if I needed to use it, to crack the assailant across the knee(s), or ankles with it, or to jab them in the gut, thereby knocking the wind out of their sails.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:06 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that the sport where as soon as you hit something you drop the bat?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:18 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

bats knives and clubs don't really have a place in home defence for the less powerful defender, you miss and ya fecked (pun intended) as your attacker is already close enough to prevent a second try.

Now a nice big high capacity pistol works at greater distances, is far more intimidating and is easier to wield effectively...cos they are designed to do exactly what you need them to do.

Throw together alot of practice at the range, few specific training courses and decent gun with an alarm system.....you'll have nowt to worry about...except stain removal and redecorating.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe... just remember if you miss with the first swing you're done.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
bats knives and clubs don't really have a place in home defence for the less powerful defender, you miss and ya fecked (pun intended) as your attacker is already close enough to prevent a second try.

Now a nice big high capacity pistol works at greater distances, is far more intimidating and is easier to wield effectively...cos they are designed to do exactly what you need them to do.

Throw together alot of practice at the range, few specific training courses and decent gun with an alarm system.....you'll have nowt to worry about...except stain removal and redecorating.
an attacker with a knife is far more likely to come in range and stab you before you got a shot off though...