Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Neighbours Burgled Yesterday

Neighbours Burgled Yesterday

Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:21 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neighbours Burgled Yesterday

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I might have read a bit much into your passing mention of licences. Sorry about that - it's a touchy topic for some of us.

Now, on that, we are in complete agreement. Good job neither of us is called Nick!
Griffin?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

The problem isn't bad people having guns. It's bad people being bad. Make guns illegal and you'll get what is happening in the UK - criminals have guns and law abiding folks can't defend themselves. Perform a miracle and eliminate all guns, even the memory that guns ever existed. Get rid of knives, for extra credit. Then the bad guys will have sticks, etc.... Sorry. I can't go on. It feels like I'm stating the bleeding obvious. For the nth time.
Based on this logic, do you believe that there are more people who are "bad" in the US then? We have an awfully high murder rate compared to other countries. If the problem isn't the incidence of gun ownership, surely there are more evil people in the US, right?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:05 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
Griffin?
Oh yes!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:07 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Based on this logic, do you believe that there are more people who are "bad" in the US then? We have an awfully high murder rate compared to other countries. If the problem isn't the incidence of gun ownership, surely there are more evil people in the US, right?
I wouldn't know where to start in confirming or refuting that statement. There are so many variable and poorly defined terms as to render it meaningless.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't know where to start in confirming or refuting that statement. There are so many variable and poorly defined terms as to render it meaningless.
I guess what I'm asking you is, if you believe the higher incidence of gun ownership is a complete non-factor, why do you think violent crime is so much higher here?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:09 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

I guess what I'm asking you is, if you believe the higher incidence of gun ownership is a complete non-factor, why do you think violent crime is so much higher here?
If you look at who it is thats getting shot....usually young males, it's pretty clear alot of it is gang related.

Vermont has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the USA, yet one of the lowest crime rates....stats show increased gun ownership results in lower crime rates, not the other way round.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:12 am
Carmel Indiana

Oh yes!
Clearly some subjects of discussion have no place in a civilised society....how long it will remain civilised remains to be seen!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
If you look at who it is thats getting shot....usually young males, it's pretty clear alot of it is gang related.

Vermont has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the USA, yet one of the lowest crime rates....stats show increased gun ownership results in lower crime rates, not the other way round.
I agree that gun violence is certainly prevalent among gangs, very prevalent. That's a major problem, particularly in the past 30 or so years it would seem. Still, there's more to it than just gangs.

"Gun-related homicide is most prevalent among gangs and during the commission of felony crimes. In 1976, the percentage of homicides caused by firearms during arguments was about the same as from gang involvement (about 70 percent), but by 1993, nearly all gang-related homicides involved guns (97 percent), whereas the percentage of gun homicides related to arguments remained relatively constant. The percentage of gang-related homicides caused by guns fell slightly to 94 percent in 2004, but the percentage of homicides caused by firearms during the commission of a felony rose from about 60 percent to 77 percent from 1976 to 2005."

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/topics/...ce/welcome.htm

According to this, while nearly all gang-related homicides involve guns, still, 70% of homicides resulting from arguments are caused by guns. So it's not gangs alone. Food for thought.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:41 am
Carmel Indiana

I agree that gun violence is certainly prevalent among gangs, very prevalent. That's a major problem, particularly in the past 30 or so years it would seem. Still, there's more to it than just gangs.

"Gun-related homicide is most prevalent among gangs and during the commission of felony crimes. In 1976, the percentage of homicides caused by firearms during arguments was about the same as from gang involvement (about 70 percent), but by 1993, nearly all gang-related homicides involved guns (97 percent), whereas the percentage of gun homicides related to arguments remained relatively constant. The percentage of gang-related homicides caused by guns fell slightly to 94 percent in 2004, but the percentage of homicides caused by firearms during the commission of a felony rose from about 60 percent to 77 percent from 1976 to 2005."

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/topics/...ce/welcome.htm

According to this, while nearly all gang-related homicides involve guns, still, 70% of homicides resulting from arguments are caused by guns. So it's not gangs alone. Food for thought.
But the figures are %, of the total number of homicides in the USA what % of those result from domestic arguments which end up in shootings?

There's little doubt the access to firearms in the home makes it easier for the "unstable" to commit murder, though I doubt in the absence of guns some of the murders would not have happened....may have been alittle harder or more messy and physically demanding??

I still maintain private firearm ownership reduces overall crime.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:39 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I farted earlier on and it sounded like a gun going off. And the smell would have seen off any burgler (at least that's my assumption based on Mrs tonrob's reaction).

If anyone is interested in learning more about home defence, PM me for my new veggie spaghetti bolognese recipe.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tonrob
I farted earlier on and it sounded like a gun going off. And the smell would have seen off any burgler (at least that's my assumption based on Mrs tonrob's reaction).

If anyone is interested in learning more about home defence, PM me for my new veggie spaghetti bolognese recipe.
How many sprouts are included?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:46 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

How many sprouts are included?
None, but this stuff seems to do the job...

http://www.lightlife.com/product_det...=gimmeleanbeef
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

None, but this stuff seems to do the job...

http://www.lightlife.com/product_det...=gimmeleanbeef
None? NONE?!?!??! Sproutboy, you've let us down.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:51 pm
Septic Sprout

None? NONE?!?!??! Sproutboy, you've let us down.
I actually hardly eat any sprouts out of season. Makes me look forward to the little darlings even more.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I actually hardly eat any sprouts out of season. Makes me look forward to the little darlings even more.
Ah, you're a sprout purist then. That I can accept. Carry on, carry on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.