Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Negativity that cannot be reversed?

Negativity that cannot be reversed?

Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negativity that cannot be reversed?

Originally Posted by GMM2003
I agree
I have always been very struck with curiosity by the notion that Americans are characterized by false positivity.

For one thing, the US is a HUGE country that consists of 50 mini-countries (call them states if you want, but they are more different from each other than many countries are from each other). How can you compare the outlook of people in LA (for example) with people in NYC (for example)?

But besides that, my own experience of living mostly in the American South (which seems to be especially tarred with the "fake polite" brush) is that the consideration, concern, politeness, positivity, whatever you want to criticise them for, has been for the most part quite genuine.

But mostly, I'd take a smiling "How are you?" over a grumpy glare that says "**** off!" any day.

Hey, what's going on? My **** (the word that Father Jack says in the Father Ted series) turned to ****! Where's the fun in that?

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 14th 2008 at 4:34 pm. Reason: Wanted to see if I could say **** in my post
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have always been very struck with curiosity by the notion that Americans are characterized by false positivity.

For one thing, the US is a HUGE country that consists of 50 mini-countries (call them states if you want, but they are more different from each other than many countries are from each other). How can you compare the outlook of people in LA (for example) with people in NYC (for example)?

But besides that, my own experience of living mostly in the American South (which seems to be especially tarred with the "fake polite" brush) is that the consideration, concern, politeness, positivity, whatever you want to criticise them for, has been for the most part quite genuine.

But mostly, I'd take a smiling "How are you?" over a grumpy glare that says "**** off!" any day.
I agree, I can't say that I've ever come across any more examples of "false politeness" here than I did in the UK.
It's a generalization which tends to be dragged out frequently when people are looking to criticise the US. There are plenty of things this country can be criticised for, but fake politeness isn't one of them, unless, of course, you're referring to people running for political office.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GMM2003
I agree
me too...
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Hey, what's going on? My **** (the word that Father Jack says in the Father Ted series) turned to ****! Where's the fun in that?
That reminds me of my Australia Aunt when she was visiting us here in Toronto a few years ago and besides complaining about the cold (it was May and 20 dregrees) I remember she was irrated by the "politness" of the staff in the hotel especially when she would say "thank-you" and the response would be "you're welcome".

Last edited by Elaine B.; Mar 14th 2008 at 4:46 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
That reminds me of my Australia Aunt when she was visiting us here in Toronto a few years ago and besides complaining about the cold (it was May and 20 dregrees) I remember she was irrated by the "politness" of the staff in the hotel especially when she would say "thank-you" and the response would be "your welcome".
hehe it really is irritating however over the yrs i have switched off to it thank goodness
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
That reminds me of my Australia Aunt when she was visiting us here in Toronto a few years ago and besides complaining about the cold (it was May and 20 dregrees) I remember she was irrated by the "politness" of the staff in the hotel especially when she would say "thank-you" and the response would be "you're welcome".
That reminds me of Borat:

"Thank you"
"You're welcome"
[pause]
"Thank you"
"You are welcome"
[pause]
"Thank ... you"
"... You're welcome"

[I am having quite a day today. Decided to work from home and have spent half the day on BE. Makes a change from working every day, evening and weekend for the past few weeks]
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And nowhere did I say that they weren't. You appear to have a large chip on your shoulder when it comes to Americans as the same things I said when said by others are welcomed by you and not by me.

And the BE board is not primarily a dumping ground for your or anyone else's pity pot. By all means wallow in your self-pity and rehash your negative feelings over and over again to any and all who will listen. That's you privilege as a BE member. You needn't worry, I will no longer feel sorry that you are stuck in a country you can't tolerate or that you deeply miss your family and friends. Nor will I read your posts or ever respond. You have told me, not so nicely, that I am not welcome to your little party. I will take my NYS wine back though before I leave

I do not take your negativity of my country personally nor did my post say that I did nor did I respond because I thought your negativity of my country was personal. I'm sure that you would not take my negativity of your province of Quebec personally either.

Again that was told to you in this thread by Brits and you accepted it nicely. But from you, the evil, sinister American, you must publicly renounce my offering of help.

Being from Quebec, perhaps you have an English reading comprehension problem. You have turned a well meaning post into a vendeta against you by me. It is irrevelant how others feel when it comes time for you to finally make a decision to stay or go. If you decide to stay, then stop bitching. If you decide to go, then go.

I understood perfectly. You are the one with the inability to comprehend and understand a gesture of friendship.

Adios!

Why the ***flicking F U C K*** do you bother to post on the MBTUK board, seeing that you clearly have absolutely NO IDEA what it is like to be an unhappy expat, nor do you have even a nanogram of insight into Mademoiselle's situation.

I have pretty much abandoned BE because of tossers like you, but this post of yours pretty much takes the biscuit. You should confine yourself to the Immigration Boards - where your advice is valued.

Stop stirring up S H I T in this part of the forum.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why the ***flicking F U C K*** do you bother to post on the MBTUK board, seeing that you clearly have absolutely NO IDEA what it is like to be an unhappy expat, nor do you have even a nanogram of insight into Mademoiselle's situation.

I have pretty much abandoned BE because of tossers like you, but this post of yours pretty much takes the biscuit. You should confine yourself to the Immigration Boards - where your advice is valued.

well said elvira, that's my girl
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

That rude and unfair ... everybody is entitled to an opinion
good, bad, for or against ....

an apology would be nice .,..
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray

no more rude and unfair than the post elvira is replying to. an opinion is all well and good but when someone is not an expat how can they begin to even understand, let alone give advice
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:33 pm
Ping-ponger

Hey, don't waste your expletives on this thread - contribute here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521729

- before they move it to Rovers.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You're in the hostile stage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2848359
Sounds about right I am past the 6 month mark though!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MademoiselleMtl
Sounds about right I am past the 6 month mark though!

Alas, MM, it can come back and bite you in the arse at any time.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

an apology would be nice .,..

As far as politeness is concerned, I even sent a note further explaining myself, no hard feelings etc and did not even get a reply. I guess one's compassionate nature is one with many limitations.

I am all for anyone having a right to their own opinion, after all, it's the American way (Sorry, could not help myself) but if you have never been in this type of situation, there are some things that will be almost impossible to comprehend and that lack of understanding will definitely taint one's opinion.

The post itself did not bother me as much as the following comment...

"There are many Canadians who enjoy and want to live in the US and my husband is one of them and he is from Montreal but of English descent, not French."

The undertones are quite clear...

"And the BE board is not primarily a dumping ground for your or anyone else's pity pot. By all means wallow in your self-pity and rehash your negative feelings over and over again to any and all who will listen"

Whatever the case, I am not going to waste time on message board conflicts but I am not the only one with a chip on their shoulder...

End of story for me.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MademoiselleMtl
As far as politeness is concerned, I even sent a note further explaining myself, no hard feelings etc and did not even get a reply. I guess one's compassionate nature is one with many limitations.

But do remember this is just pixels ..its not real life ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.