Need Phone Advice

Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:39 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need Phone Advice

We're heading back to the UK for a couple of weeks soon, and was curious what people thought the best options are regarding phones. I have an unlocked iPhone 5s, and as near as I can work out I have 3 options. Get an international plan for the duration of the visit, purchase a PAYG sim card after we get there, or just get a cheap phone there.
So to anyone who's had experience, what do you think my best bet is?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:49 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Phone Advice

I have a 4s into which I put an o2 PAYG sim. Thing I like about the o2 sim is the balance says current between trips.

Haven't tried using my 5s yet as it is a smaller sim to the 4s, so I need to get a new sim when I'm next in the UK.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:58 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy a PAYG SIM card when you arrive. Usually pretty cheap and you have a local number which is easier for friends, family and the pizza delivery guy to contact.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 6:19 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
We're heading back to the UK for a couple of weeks soon, and was curious what people thought the best options are regarding phones. I have an unlocked iPhone 5s, and as near as I can work out I have 3 options. Get an international plan for the duration of the visit, purchase a PAYG sim card after we get there, or just get a cheap phone there.
So to anyone who's had experience, what do you think my best bet is?
If you just need a phone for local service, then get a SIM in the UK.

If you need to stay in touch with important contacts in the US, then I would get a roaming plan with your US provider. (If you have CDMA service such as Verizon or Sprint, then you might need a CDMA-GSM "world phone" to do this. AT&T should have a roaming plan.)

If you have Vonage, then you might want to check into their smartphone app so that you can make calls via wifi. (I'm not quite sure how this works, so investigate it if that applies to you.) If you have one of their international plans, then the UK land line calls and all US calls should be free (although you may have to pay for the wifi.)

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Oct 30th 2014 at 6:21 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a cheapo when you arrive with a pay as you go deal.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You can pre-order a free SIM from giffgaff.com and have it delivered to wherever you're staying. Then all you need to do is activate it online, add 10 quid to the plan and you're good to go.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I use GiffGaff, pretty good.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We're on an AT&T family plan and it was just easier to pay something like $60 additional for a month of roaming voice, text, and data. I couldn't be bothered faffing around with SIM cards and suchlike for that price.