Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Need ideas for UK MEALS

Wikiposts

Need ideas for UK MEALS

Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:04 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need ideas for UK MEALS

[QUOTE=kiwichild]
Originally Posted by honeymommy
Gotta have:

Bubble and squeek.

Bubble & squeak YUM!

For our American friends it is leftover meat and vegetables pan fried in a little oil until heated through. Great with ketchup or worcestershire sauce (a thin black sauce containing tamarind, spices, vinegar etc). It really is best if there's chunks of meat and potato in it as well as the greens, carrots etc
ALso great with HP sauce ( brown spicy sauce). HP sauce is one of the best things God ever invented: it works with just about everything
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:13 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

'Specially bacon butties.

'Specially if the bacon is smoked and has been fried in lard (I know!!) and the bread rolls are white, soft and floury.

<Drooooooolll>

[QUOTE=kiwichild]
Originally Posted by kiwichild

ALso great with HP sauce ( brown spicy sauce). HP sauce is one of the best things God ever invented: it works with just about everything
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kiwichild]
Originally Posted by honeymommy
Gotta have:

Bubble and squeek.

Bubble & squeak YUM!

For our American friends it is leftover meat and vegetables pan fried in a little oil until heated through. Great with ketchup or worcestershire sauce (a thin black sauce containing tamarind, spices, vinegar etc). It really is best if there's chunks of meat and potato in it as well as the greens, carrots etc

Meat in bubble and squeak... No!!! Just spuds and left over veg... Gotta keep it traditional English now... Especially brussle sprouts...

It's best with the left over meat cold on the side with pickles... A nice bit of branston or picalilli....
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They are different, in the US, spring onions are called green onions...
in the north east of england and ireland and maybe scotland spring onions are called scallions
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use the white part, apparently it's not advised for some reason. Not sure why.

always use the white part of spring onions!! use the green till it gets too old and bitter
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

To really show your love, serve the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and mushy peas. Here is the recipe for mushy peas (they love them over any meat)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 handful fresh mint, leaves picked
1 pound (500 grams) frozen peas
2 large knobs butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions, mint, and peas. Cover and leave for a few minutes to steam. Mash with a potato masher. You can do this with a food processor as well, just pulse it until smooth. Whether mashing or pulsing, when it's done add the butter and season very carefully, to taste.
i have to dissagree with your recipe for mushy peas.

for a real nothern english recipe you need to use dried green peas, soak them with bicarb of soda overnight, rinse, then bring to boil, and simmer till soft. Then you mash them with butter salt and pepper. No onions, no mint.

ps, many southerners hate mushy peas, not sure what the welsh take is on them!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

This isn't a recipe, but read on; I'd see if there are any British Shops close to you or in the city. We are from Canada and have a British Shop in our small town, I'm originally from the UK and find this store, excellent. They have frozen foods/breads, baked from a Scottish bloke. They have British hotpot ideas for lamb and chicken & curry, on the back of the packet is the shopping list of ingredients to make a lovely meal. Your husband would probably love the taste, as all is imported from the UK. Our store has a tea room served with Devon cream tea/scones, also a wide assortment of chocolates/crisps/tizer all from England

Good Luck in your search!
Deana
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dewdrop
This isn't a recipe, but read on; I'd see if there are any British Shops close to you or in the city. We are from Canada and have a British Shop in our small town, I'm originally from the UK and find this store, excellent. They have frozen foods/breads, baked from a Scottish bloke. They have British hotpot ideas for lamb and chicken & curry, on the back of the packet is the shopping list of ingredients to make a lovely meal. Your husband would probably love the taste, as all is imported from the UK. Our store has a tea room served with Devon cream tea/scones, also a wide assortment of chocolates/crisps/tizer all from England

Good Luck in your search!
Deana
Tizer? I haven't seen Tizer in the UK for years! You may want to check the expiry date on some of that stuff, lol!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

yorkshire puddings, chips and onion gray.....*drool*
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Now that actually sounds delicious to me! I love really thick pea soup so I will probably love this recipe! THANKS.
you're welcome, the texture shouldn't be runny, more of a wet mashed potato consistency

its esp good with gammon or a bacon joint- but you probably can't get that there!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Of course we can~!
phew! what a relief dont think they can in canada- or maybe its called somthing else which would explain the blank faces when i asked for gammon, or maybe they were vegetarian............
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:01 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

LOL my thoughts exactly! By the way the spring onions in my mushy peas recipe ARE called green onions in the US The long green ones.
I've just been shopping, they are called Green Onion Scallions here. Also saw a small packet of shallots, must've been imported from somewhere, and Pearl Onions, which looked like really small shallots.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:25 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I'll post my chicken pie recipe, so easy, and delicious!

Pillsbury pie shell
2 cubed cooked chicken breasts (I usually nuke them for about 5 mins)
Milk (2 cups or so) - this is hard, I do it off the top of my head
Butter - about 3 tbspns
All purpose flour - tablespoon
Salt/Pepper
White wine if you've got (not a prob if not but I'm a lush lol)

Boil milk, butter and flour, whisking all the time. Simmer until sauce thickens.

Add seasoning and wine if you have and chicken.

Let boil for a minute.

Throw the lot into the pie crust, top with the other crust, poke a couple of holes in them, give it an egg wash (1 egg yolk beaten with some water) with a pastry brush, and cook as indicated on the box.

Shouldn't take more than 30 or so mins to make. Serve with mash and peas and loads of mushroom or onion gravy.

Steak pie

Pie shell
About a lb of steak/broil whatever you have sliced really thin (stirfry thin)
Flour - season with salt and pepper
2 onions
1 cup of Brown gravy (preferably Bisto granules - found at any Brit store - can't beat it! if not use a small can or so of beef stock but add 2 tbspns butter to the pie filling before cooking).

Chuck the steak around in the flour.
Fry in a teeny bit of olive oil, turning constantly, for a few mins until browned.
Throw in chopped onions. Stir until tender.
Add gravy, stirring constanly on low heat until all thickened. Leave it for about 10 mins, stirring often.

Throw into pie shell, same as chicken pie. Takes nearly no time and is truly delicious.

You can add curry to the steak or chicken to make it curried pie....yummy!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Another one, if no one has suggested it, not that I really like it, but Rice Pudding...and another pud, apple crumble with lashings of custard, yum
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:15 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
apple crumble with lashings of custard, yum
Apple crumble works well with cream or vanilla ice cream too

Tell me something though: What is 'Toad-in-hole' ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.