Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

NBC Sports - Premier League Coverage

NBC Sports - Premier League Coverage

Old Aug 1st 2014, 5:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default NBC Sports - Premier League Coverage

Good afternoon all

So having got my fix of the Would Cup curtosy of Overplay, I managed to convince the wife to shell out for Dish TV, so I'm not subjected to dodgy streams of the EPL matches from next season.

What's the NBC coverage like? Who are the anchors/summerisers? Am I going to have to put up with 'he put that ball right in the end zone'-isms all year?

I'm looking forward, having missed the entirety of last season, to getting to see some of my team (Man United fan ) do a little better than they did lsat year under the mini-Glaswegian...
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NBC Sports - Premier League Coverage

It's good. There are a lot of commentators, most are English ex-premier league players. I'd say that going with Dish was a mistake though!
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Well we haven't pulled the trigger, it was just a first thought. Going to look through the options tonight. Care to make a recommendation?
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty decent and so are the apps for streaming, though they did crash a awful but a few updates seemed to have improved them a lot, especially on iOS...Android is still a bit iffy.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say the coverage in general is excellent.

If you are a supporter of one of the top teams or Man U (couldn't resist that ) Then you will see the vast majority of your team's games live in HD and the rest are available on a stream, so you will want a PC connected to the TV if you want to watch it on the telly.

I'm a Liverpool FC fan and saw 32 of their 38 games last year in HD, of the few that I was at home to watch via streaming there were very few issues.

Last season they had Ian Darke and Steve McManaman as primary commentators, Ian is not my fave commentator but he's ok, Macca tries to be funny but isn't.

There are plenty of overnight game replays and highlights shows during the week too - although sometimes you have to look out for them on other channels, they use non-sports channels for some games and shows, like USA and your local NBC affiliate's main NBC channel.

Overall I am very happy that NBC got the rights to the EPL and long may it continue. I saw virtually none of Liverpool's games when Fox had the rights because my cable provider couldn't supply Fox Sports.

As to what platform to receive the NBC channels on I can't help there, I just subscribe to my local cable provider and they are all on there. The great thing is that all the channels carrying the EPL stuff are in with the basic cable package so I don't have to subscribe to a more expensive one.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Better than Fox, I agree.

Who to use is location specific, I was Dish now Direct TV.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 10:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Well we haven't pulled the trigger, it was just a first thought. Going to look through the options tonight. Care to make a recommendation?
Whoever you choose, I have DirecTV, make sure whatever package you get has all the NBC family of channel. They show all the EPL games live and spread them across all their channels if they need to. Including as BG36 says their online channel.

I was always told DirecTV had the best picture quality because they comressed the signal less than Dish or cable. However I was in the Comcast store the other day and the picture on the screens they had there looked as good as I get.

If you get the internet from a cable company it might be cheaper to get a combined TV package from them. I would save if I went to Comcast just don't want to risk it over the possible dregregration in picture quality.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with DirecTV as well. It eventually works out more expensive but I've not had many issues and those that I've had got taken care of quickly and without too much hassle. Plus, the picture quality is great, the extras you get can be nice and they do throw a lot of free stuff your way throughout the year. The downside is that on demand is kind of crappy, although I do like being able to download shows from the on demand library to my DVR.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Last season they had Ian Darke and Steve McManaman as primary commentators,
Those 2 are the ESPN guys. NBC's main team were Arlo White and Lee Dixon. Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe are usually in the studio. The coverage is very good, all the commentators are British and if you watch their Match Of The Day show, Gary Lineker does a piece every week.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving to the US next week and I had been planning how to watch the premier league next season. I have a subscription to an online service (I got an account before they shut up shop and went hidden) the quality is HD most of the time and I can stream on my iPad and airplay to the TV. But they do have issues when the weather is bad in Portugal (where they are based).

So I got a mag250 box and an iptv service for the year which has all uktv, sky, all US, Canadian and all the bein channels and it will work in the US. I sold my sky box and my wifi router from the uk and the money I got for them covered the 12 month iptv sub. Its a bit of a grey area so I am not linking to them but I will be able to use this service without a VPN (even though I have one anyway).

Not sure what service we will end up getting in the US. I will need Internet and it seems to work out better to get tv and Internet through one provider so I will probably end up with sports anyway.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I also have DirecTV and the service is generally better than Dish overall from what I've heard. Just don't be tempted to get their TiVo model. The Genie is a good DVR and it also has the Whole Home feature, so you can watch whatever is recorded in any room that has a client. It also has five tuners so you can record what you want, when you want. Dish's Hopper records the main four broadcast channels during prime time plus, I think, two others, so don't get fooled by the advertising.

If you sign up with DirecTV, you get the first year of NFL Sunday Ticket for free as well as a decent first year's price. As long as you remember to cancel before the second season, it's a nice bonus if you're a football fan.

Plus, as others have mentioned, you can get the NBC family for the footie. Just be sure that the service level you choose has NBCSN, which is the main channel for the matches.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

Has anyone got TV through Verizon FIOS? We have internet from them and I'm thinking of adding TV for footy and NFL etc. Interested if its better than regular cable?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's okay...adding ESPN adds a big chunk of change to the rate plus the intro cheap rate doesn't include cost of the DVR boxes or HD service, so the rate goes right up before you even finish the promo rate.

Service is what it is though, no different to anyone else.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 6:18 pm
Often not so civil...

We went with Dish in the end, solely because the first 12 months price was cheaper after adding the cost of HDTV and the DVR. They'll be here to install it tomorrow in time for the Community Shield on sunday
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

It's the SECOND and subsequent years that count!

IMHO, you made a mistake, but you could be one of the few that's happy with Dish. You can always swap out after two years if you're not happy with it. All I know is that when I worked for a cable company that had pretty poor service, we got call after call from people who left us for Dish, wanting to get out of their contract and come back to our crappy service because the prices they were paying went up a ridiculous amount at the end of the first year and the add-ons were crazy! .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.