Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Nascar - what am I letting myself in for...?

Wikiposts

Nascar - what am I letting myself in for...?

Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:53 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nascar - what am I letting myself in for...?

.. if you really get bored you can always play a game of NASCAR Bingo.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:31 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
All I meant was that if you're sitting there, only really ever having heard of Dale Earnhardt beforehand, one car/driver is very much like another. Especially when whizzing past you at 100mph.

The last third of the race was when I was semi-concious and not really paying attention.....
To some extent NSCAR is better on TV than live. I've followed it for about 10 years know, and once the race starts it is much more a team sport than F1. There is a considerable amount of adjustments the pit crew make to the car during the race, to keep up with changing track conditions, or in the case of Jeff Gordon yesterday to make what started as a badly set up car competitive. On TV you can follow the adjustments the various teams are making much better than at the track.

I can see that for someone who doesn't follow the season, let alone know what goes on in the pits, it would be uninteresting.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
The last third of the race was when I was semi-concious and not really paying attention.....
How many Bud Lights does that take? Think I'd be stuck in the urinals long before feeling even slightly sleepy.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:12 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
To some extent NSCAR is better on TV than live. I've followed it for about 10 years know, and once the race starts it is much more a team sport than F1. There is a considerable amount of adjustments the pit crew make to the car during the race, to keep up with changing track conditions, or in the case of Jeff Gordon yesterday to make what started as a badly set up car competitive. On TV you can follow the adjustments the various teams are making much better than at the track.

I can see that for someone who doesn't follow the season, let alone know what goes on in the pits, it would be uninteresting.
You have surprised me. Not that you watch Nascar but that you admit it. It was a great charge by Gordon late in the season after his poor first half.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong, I can see if you know what's going on that it would be great. A high seat so you can see the whole track, a scanner to listen in to the teams and maybe a radio to listen to commentary.

I went out of mild curiosity, that's satisfied now. Onto the next thing.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:55 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
You have surprised me. Not that you watch Nascar but that you admit it. It was a great charge by Gordon late in the season after his poor first half.
If you know anything about driving, you appreciate the skill it takes to muscle a sprint cup car around the track. Those guys, and now Danica, are pushing an unstable car to the very limit of its adhesion at 200mph, that is a skill I have no problem in admitting I enjoy watching. Just as much fun is the Camping World truck series, where often they exceed their talent to stay in control.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Has a NASCAR Driver ever written his car up for having a poor right-hand steering lock?

Jim.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived here for nearly 15 years, I TRIED to watch a NASCAR race - the Daytone 500 at the beginning of the season. Apart from it being delayed until the next day, I think I lasted about 20 minutes before I lost the will to live!

I'll stick with F1.

(If anyone's got a spare ticket for the US race, let me know!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Has a NASCAR Driver ever written his car up for having a poor right-hand steering lock?

Jim.

Have you ever watched them race on a road course?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever watched them race on a road course?
Yeah, Watkins Glen comes to mind.

I don't follow it religiously, but I appreciate the skill and tactics involved, and enjoy watching a NASCAR race every now and then, too. So that makes two of us...

On a side note, if it wasn't for prohibition, we wouldn't have NASCAR today...
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by discoviking

On a side note, if it wasn't for prohibition, we wouldn't have NASCAR today...
There was a program on Moonshiners on one of the Discovery channel. Guy had 70s muscle car well tuned up to do the deliveries. Turned out he was also the local fire chief.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/moonshiners/