Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I have a great reply to this, and as soon as I finish the dishes I will post it.
Did you wear rubber gloves to keep your hands nice and soft ... ?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:00 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a great reply to this, and as soon as I finish the dishes I will post it.

And don’t forget to take the trash out; you don’t want to get yelled at again.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The real question is - do you leave the toilet seat UP or DOWN ...? That really shows who's boss!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:36 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Yeah right why don’t you give her back the pants and get back to the kitchen.
Originally Posted by Steerpike
Did you wear rubber gloves to keep your hands nice and soft ... ?
Originally Posted by hatfield1

And don’t forget to take the trash out; you don’t want to get yelled at again.
The real question is - do you leave the toilet seat UP or DOWN ...? That really shows who's boss!
And here all this time I thought you two were men!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So have you given in yet and bought the converter?

Two nights ago, we sat down after dinner and turned on the TV, which was set to PBS. They were showing the most amazing documentary on Monarch Butterflies, which apparently migrate from Canada to Mexico every year ... over 2,000 miles (a BUTTERFLY with a brain the size of a pin-head!!!!) - and then return to Canada. It was fascinating, and beautiful.

Anyway - my point is simply, I would never in a million years have searched out this show, so the fact I could netflix it or whatever is not really relevant. There is something to be said for 'accepting the choices of someone else'. PBS does offer a broad range of programming, so you can often just turn on the TV, tune in to PBS, and see something worthwhile.

This does make me wonder, more generally, how people in the future are going to see/hear 'new stuff' or be exposed to variety. When I was young, you turned on the radio and listened to whatever they played (there was only 1 radio station back then playing 'popular music!). This forced you to listen to a variety of stuff. Then I came over here, and discovered 'FM radio', which vastly expanded the choice, but also was much more focused - rock stations, soul stations, etc. And now, I have 'XM radio' - I now can tune to a 60's channel; 70's; 80's; 90's; Classic album rock; metal rock; mellow rock; etc etc - HUNDREDS of very focused selections. The same, of course, goes for TV - I grew up with 3 channels (BBC1/2, ITV) came over here to about 20, and now have cable with hundreds of channels - I can even watch the 'golf' channel if I want (I'd rather poke my eyes out ....). And now, people are doing away entirely with 'broadcast' media, and downloading whatever they want.

Obviously there are many benefits to the current situation - I'm happily consuming those XM channels and cable TV channels, and happily YouTubing stuff ... I just wonder if we are also missing something ...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Two nights ago, we sat down after dinner and turned on the TV, which was set to PBS. They were showing the most amazing documentary on Monarch Butterflies, which apparently migrate from Canada to Mexico every year ... over 2,000 miles (a BUTTERFLY with a brain the size of a pin-head!!!!) - and then return to Canada. It was fascinating, and beautiful.

Anyway - my point is simply, I would never in a million years have searched out this show, so the fact I could netflix it or whatever is not really relevant. There is something to be said for 'accepting the choices of someone else'. PBS does offer a broad range of programming, so you can often just turn on the TV, tune in to PBS, and see something worthwhile.

This does make me wonder, more generally, how people in the future are going to see/hear 'new stuff' or be exposed to variety. When I was young, you turned on the radio and listened to whatever they played (there was only 1 radio station back then playing 'popular music!). This forced you to listen to a variety of stuff. Then I came over here, and discovered 'FM radio', which vastly expanded the choice, but also was much more focused - rock stations, soul stations, etc. And now, I have 'XM radio' - I now can tune to a 60's channel; 70's; 80's; 90's; Classic album rock; metal rock; mellow rock; etc etc - HUNDREDS of very focused selections. The same, of course, goes for TV - I grew up with 3 channels (BBC1/2, ITV) came over here to about 20, and now have cable with hundreds of channels - I can even watch the 'golf' channel if I want (I'd rather poke my eyes out ....). And now, people are doing away entirely with 'broadcast' media, and downloading whatever they want.

Obviously there are many benefits to the current situation - I'm happily consuming those XM channels and cable TV channels, and happily YouTubing stuff ... I just wonder if we are also missing something ...

Neither would I.

But to answer your question...

We actually have two of the converter boxes. Got them several months ago, hooked them up and got... nothing. Just static. We are so far from the signal source that we need an antenna stronger than our rabbit ear setup. I happen to have a disassembled antenna tower and high powered antenna out laying next to the shed, just haven't quite found the motivation to put them up.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:20 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I found the History of Dung as narrated by Tony/Baldric of Blackadder fascinating.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:29 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

ABY, did you ever take the plunge? and if so, how is it going without TV?

We keep toying with the idea
Old May 11th 2009, 12:48 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Juswus
ABY, did you ever take the plunge? and if so, how is it going without TV?

We keep toying with the idea
Sort of... We are down to one channel. Apparently this particular channel got some kind of extension on the digital switch deadline. I think they are supposed to cease broadcasting in analog sometime this summer.

This reminds me, our internet at home is currently broken so I have to throw a bunch of stuff in our Netflix list...
Old May 11th 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This reminds me, our internet at home is currently broken so I have to throw a bunch of stuff in our Netflix list...
I was always wondering how, in this day and age, you could survive with only 'dial-up' internet access at home; now I know - you use the high speed connection at work ! One set of rules for the wife and kids ...
Old May 11th 2009, 3:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I was always wondering how, in this day and age, you could survive with only 'dial-up' internet access at home; now I know - you use the high speed connection at work ! One set of rules for the wife and kids ...
He's isolating them out there in the woods. It's scary. I'm scared. We should have the sheriff go check on them but he's probably in on it too.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

The connection here at work is wasted. No youtube/other vid sites/photohosting/games/humor/music/weapons.... Might as well be on dial up here too.

Last edited by another bloody yank; May 11th 2009 at 4:42 pm.
Old May 11th 2009, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

The connection here at work is wasted. No youtube/other vid sites/photohosting/games/humor/weapons.... Might as well be on dial up here too.

Is that because you are not 'allowed' to go to those sites at your place of work? I know hubby is always complaining about that in his office. He calls it the motherf***er monitor
Old May 11th 2009, 4:42 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Is that because you are not 'allowed' to go to those sites at your place of work? I know hubby is always complaining about that in his office. He calls it the motherf***er monitor
Yep...
Old May 11th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

amazoing what a proxy server can achieve There are ways around everything, locks are only made for honest people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.