My mother's ashes

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute
Default My mother's ashes

My mother died last week. Here is her obituary. She always wanted to go back to England, but as she got older and more infirm, it became more difficult, and eventually impossible. She also wanted her ashes scattered at sea. We are thinking of "taking her home" to England and scattering her ashes in the sea from there - has anyone had experience doing this in the UK?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My mother's ashes

Originally Posted by BellaE
My mother died last week. Here is her obituary. She always wanted to go back to England, but as she got older and more infirm, it became more difficult, and eventually impossible. She also wanted her ashes scattered at sea. We are thinking of "taking her home" to England and scattering her ashes in the sea from there - has anyone had experience doing this in the UK?
So sorry to hear that. Don't know about the ashes but wanted to say what a lovely Obituary for your mother. She sounds like she was an amazing lady, sorry for your loss.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry for your loss she sounds like a wonderful person, I don't think you will have any problem, my wife's mother died a couple of years ago and she and her sisters scattered her ashes in Hampstead Heath without any problem.

If its the transporting of the ashes I don't think that either should pose a problem.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

You can carry your mothers ashes on board. The only thing you will have to prepare yourself for, is the urn going through the x-ray machine and the urn being hand searched. They shouldn't open the actual urn but they will probably swab it for explosives. We used to have this a lot at Heathrow. Not a nice journey to have to make, sorry you are having to make it.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry for your recent loss. It is hard losing a mother.

You could maybe take a trip over to England on the Queen Mary and scatter the ashes, or some of them, from the ship if it allowed, and scatter the rest at some of her favourite places in Britain.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:39 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry for your loss.

I know that my dad's parents wanted to be scattered at sea (my pap was in the Navy in WW2). He died in 1992 so they kept his ashes til my Nan died in 2011, then hired a special boat that took them out to sea so they could be scattered together. All legal and above board, I know they found a company that specializes in this who handled all the paperwork for them. I'm sure if you Google you could find something similar.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:04 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like such a special lady -- condolences on your loss.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
You can carry your mothers ashes on board. The only thing you will have to prepare yourself for, is the urn going through the x-ray machine and the urn being hand searched. They shouldn't open the actual urn but they will probably swab it for explosives. We used to have this a lot at Heathrow. Not a nice journey to have to make, sorry you are having to make it.
Yeah, I wouldn't put it in check luggage.

A quick Google suggests making sure the urn is not opaque to xrays (apparently there a special temporary urns you can get) and also check individual airline rules.

Transporting the Deceased | Transportation Security Administration
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 8:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my own mum last year, I know how unbelievably hard this is.

I hope everything goes well as far as bringing her back home, so to speak. We didn't get my mum's ashes, they spread her in the garden of remembrance at the crematorium, which is where her own parents' ashes went.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences BellaE.

Recently I made the hardest ever call to my wife while she was at work in the school.

Her sister had called me at home to say their mother, fit, active, intelligent, had taken a shaky fall. I passed this info on to my wife.

10 minutes later I got another call...that she had passed away with a massive heart attack.

I loved my wife's mother as much as my wife did.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 9:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Reading the obit , you have a wonderful Mum BellaE. She may be gone from you now but she will always be with you in your heart. You are a part of her & she a part of you.

Condolences for your loss.

Spreading of ashes at sea in the UK is actually something that both my husband and I want for ourselves when the time comes. Back to the UK and hopefully some ashes , if not all of them somewhere off Bournemouth Pier & other area of that coastline. Pity the poor swimmers and sunbathers.

As far as I know, you do not need a special license or anything. It can simply be done.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Reading the obit , you have a wonderful Mum BellaE. She may be gone from you now but she will always be with you in your heart. You are a part of her & she a part of you.

Condolences for your loss.

Spreading of ashes at sea in the UK is actually something that both my husband and I want for ourselves when the time comes. Back to the UK and hopefully some ashes , if not all of them somewhere off Bournemouth Pier & other area of that coastline. Pity the poor swimmers and sunbathers.

As far as I know, you do not need a special license or anything. It can simply be done.
I want to end up in Glencoe...
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry about your mum. I bet you was very glad to have you as her daughter.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences for your loss
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My sincere condolences...your mum sounded like a wonderful lady. I can't help you with your question about her ashes but I do know what it's like to lose one's Mum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.