My lowest day

Old Mar 4th 2018, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My lowest day

Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk
Apart from the obviously top job you had, the story reminds me of when I first came to live here. We too had a court wedding followed by a church wedding a few months later. I got my work permit before the full green card and found it very hard to get employment because I was an alien, my first job here was salesman for the main Ford dealer, customers would prefer dealing with me just because I had an English accent, I was however verbally abused by management constantly and quit, it took a year to find someone else to employ me, but I have a good wife, just as you do, she stood by me and worked to support us both, I eventually got a job by resorting to driving a septic truck, I was so ashamed but had to do something, it didn't last long before I found a family run trucking company who took me on. I now work for a nationwide trucking company who are in my eyes the best in the nation. As for the being an alien, this company think so much of me and another Englishman who works with me that they would love to hire as many English drivers as they can get hold of. You shouldn't give up or think you are not liked by people because you are an immigrant, have some confidence, stop looking at the down side, stand up for yourself at the hearing, don't let them intimidate you because if they see you are downtrodden by them they will feel even stronger. Go to the hearing, give your dam best and if after that they let you go then you are better than they are and they do not deserve decent employees.
I have no idea what the work you do is but if it is so important a job you will be able to go elsewhere. Good luck to you sir and do not give up.
Well said Pat

It can take quite a few low points, job loses, and feelings of not belonging before things start to fall in place. A lot of us have been there and eventually we make it!
Old Mar 4th 2018, 6:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You have one thing a lot of people battling fatal illnesses don't have a future. With a future there is hope. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get out there and grab that future by the horns and make a good life for your family.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:46 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
We've talked about starting a business but again - No idea what!

Who's got hugs?
I've got hugs for you all. You'll get there, you know you will. The sort of person who decides to make a new life for himself in a new country is not the sort of person who will give up even when feeling like they really could. You are strong and you will get through this.

As for business ideas -- write down any that you can think of!
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You have one thing a lot of people battling fatal illnesses don't have a future. With a future there is hope. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get out there and grab that future by the horns and make a good life for your family.
That's what I've been trying but it's hard. This isn't a job it is a calling and not something thats easy to walk away from.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Needing a little pick-me-up. I don't seem to have the best success with employment in the US in the two years I have been here and the year I have been able to work.

Last April I was offered a job only to have it revoked over a case of mistaken identity and today I am given fired or hearing for something so trivial no one can actually believe it - However sadly, probationary period means bye bye and the reputation of loosing this big job will haunt me for a long time.

We own our home, but were literally about to sign the dotted line to build our dream home, wife was about to buy her dream car now that I was making excellent money.

So alas, my career of 15 years is essentially over in the US as I am highly unlikely to win my hearing (99% failure rate in my line of work - 911) and everyone knows everyone in this tight knit community - Getting a full time, well paid position at my skill level is extremely hard.

I feel so sorry for my wife who just needs stability that I cannot provide. Is it normal to be the foreign guy with which nothing seems to go right for a few years?

This past week our house has flooded (badly), wife in a wreck, lost my job, father in law in a wreck and our household has been ill for three weeks.

I'm at the end of my tether and had it not been for my wife to I'd be heading back to the cold and miserable UK with my tail between my legs. I literally have no idea what career to look at now my existing one is essentially over. We've talked about starting a business but again - No idea what!

Who's got hugs?
Hugs.

If you're really good at something then you'll always be in demand and have a good job. If you’re mediocre, you’ll always be insecure.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 3:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I've been trying but it's hard. This isn't a job it is a calling and not something thats easy to walk away from.
Going by what you said in your first post I think I have a fair idea of what the job is. You have developed a lot of skills doing it which are transferable and useful elsewhere.

As Ian would have said "respectfully" it isn't a calling it is a job. I've seen a number of people leave a similar job because they were hurt, burnt out or got sacked. All survived, all said how much better it was on the outside than they thought.

I've been sacked from a job so I appreciate how much of a blow it is to ones confidence and self esteem. My eldest son was sacked by the Met while still at Hendon training school for something someone thought he said. He felt sorry for himself for a week and then vowed to prove them wrong. Got accepted by another force, successfully completed their training which included a degree and is now a detective on a national counter terrorism unit.

The only person who will beat you is yourself.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 3:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had your hearing yet and/or your discharge interview? Hope you're feeling better about your future.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

MidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond reputeMidwestBob has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to move to another state. For employment Kentucky would not be my state of choice. Colorado would be my choice, where folks are less close knit, less judgemental and more laid back. And the climate is superb. As someone else said get a commercial drivers license. There is always work for CDL drivers. And there are a lot of jobs in the marijuana industry even for a short time until you get back on your feet.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidwestBob
My advice would be to move to another state. For employment Kentucky would not be my state of choice. Colorado would be my choice, where folks are less close knit, less judgemental and more laid back. And the climate is superb. As someone else said get a commercial drivers license. There is always work for CDL drivers. And there are a lot of jobs in the marijuana industry even for a short time until you get back on your feet.
I think part of the reason why he isn't considering moving is that his wife has two children from a previous relationship and might not be able to move the children out of state.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I think part of the reason why he isn't considering moving is that his wife has two children from a previous relationship and might not be able to move the children out of state.
States are more like individual countries in that respect.
Old May 25th 2018, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Well I pulled back a full time job fairly quickly - don’t enjoy it but it’s got benefits. Only to be told today that my wife is being laid off in a month.

Yay! Bald eagles n’ stuff.
Old May 27th 2018, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=notaclue;12504875]
Well I pulled back a full time job fairly quickly - don’t enjoy it but it’s got benefits. Only to be told today that my wife is being laid off in a month.

Yay! Bald eagles n’ stuff.
[/QUOTE

With the low unemployment rate maybe she can find something quickly. The hard part is finding something that pays well with benefits.
Old May 27th 2018, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So alas, my career of 15 years is essentially over in the US as I am highly unlikely to win my hearing (99% failure rate in my line of work - 911) and everyone knows everyone in this tight knit community - Getting a full time, well paid position at my skill level is extremely hard.

I'm at the end of my tether and had it not been for my wife to I'd be heading back to the cold and miserable UK with my tail between my legs. I literally have no idea what career to look at now my existing one is essentially over. We've talked about starting a business but again - No idea what!

Who's got hugs?
According to your earlier posts you were 27 in 2015, so would be approx 30 now? Not sure where a 15 year career comes from in that timescale.

Also how would you go back to the UK? Haven't you got a wife and 3 year old child?
Old May 27th 2018, 6:36 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
According to your earlier posts you were 27 in 2015, so would be approx 30 now? Not sure where a 15 year career comes from in that timescale.

Also how would you go back to the UK? Haven't you got a wife and 3 year old child?
The child is his stepchild.
Old May 27th 2018, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The child is his stepchild.
In his postings of 2016 he told us that his girlfriend was pregnant. Subsequent to that they married.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.