Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in America..

Healthcare in America..

Old May 18th 2018, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthcare in America..

I very rarely post but feel need to vent.. I am eligible for health insurance under ObamaCare. I am this year fortunate enough to pay only $120 per month for coverage. Suddenly I get notice my premiums will now be $859. I am now appealing this decision and trying to find reason why. All pertinent docs for 2016 and 2017 were submitted. In fact they just did a review of documents and said I was eligible for tax credits. This is someone who has gross of approx. $48k per year and net income profit/loss of 29k. There is now way in hell I can afford $859. So now I find myself in limbo whilst everything is reviewed. I cannot afford to pay the $859 for this month's premiums. I have grace period of 30 days and if premium is not paid by 6/30/18 I lose coverage. Appeals can take up to 90 days. I have asked for expedited appeal but who knows if it will be granted. If I do have to pay the $859 then I will have to go without insurance as I simple cannot afford it. Venting done..
Old May 18th 2018, 5:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in America..

Originally Posted by fulwood
I very rarely post but feel need to vent.. I am eligible for health insurance under ObamaCare. I am this year fortunate enough to pay only $120 per month for coverage. Suddenly I get notice my premiums will now be $859. I am now appealing this decision and trying to find reason why. All pertinent docs for 2016 and 2017 were submitted. In fact they just did a review of documents and said I was eligible for tax credits. This is someone who has gross of approx. $48k per year and net income profit/loss of 29k. There is now way in hell I can afford $859. So now I find myself in limbo whilst everything is reviewed. I cannot afford to pay the $859 for this month's premiums. I have grace period of 30 days and if premium is not paid by 6/30/18 I lose coverage. Appeals can take up to 90 days. I have asked for expedited appeal but who knows if it will be granted. If I do have to pay the $859 then I will have to go without insurance as I simple cannot afford it. Venting done..
It''s gone up because the Great Orange One decided to do away with Obamacare
Old May 18th 2018, 9:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing much has changed with OCare, the premiums change at the year end, my guess is that it has something to do with how your income is assessed or recorded and the tax credit you are due.

At least next year you will not have the penalty to worry about,

How anybody could consider these sort of premiums Affordable beggars belief. I remember looking at it when it came in and there was something like a $10,000 gap when every extra dollar you earned went to insurance.
Old May 18th 2018, 12:12 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

NHS care - free to citizens but the actual cost is 2500 pounds a year per user. Murica needs to smell the coffee [the smell/taste of murican coffee is a whole other complaint] and admit that the murican model of capitalism, though it has a place in commerce, has no place in a national healthcare service. But then i guess, muricans in bulk are not in favour of shring services with fellow muricans.

Dont bother to knock the NHS, nothings oerfect, but it beats the sh1x out of the murican system for 95% of the population.
Old May 18th 2018, 12:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Insurers are insulating themselves against the expecting increase in claim values. Since the Repubs binned the individual mandate (or more accurately reduced the penalty to $0) then many healthy people are expected to drop out of the market again now - leaving the sicker more expensive people.

Jacking up the price is the only way the company can protect itself from losses. This is why the IM was one of the cornerstones of the ACA.
Old May 18th 2018, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It''s gone up because the Great Orange One decided to do away with Obamacare
No one has done away with O'bamacare.
Old May 18th 2018, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

While I feel for you and hope that your appeal is successful, I do wonder why you are eligible for O'bamacare in the first place. An income of $48K per year for a single person should not make you eligible. A family relation who earns $52K per year and has a family of 3 is not eligible. This does not compute.
Old May 18th 2018, 2:42 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
NHS care - free to citizens but the actual cost is 2500 pounds a year per user. Murica America needs to smell the coffee [the smell/taste of murican coffee is a whole other complaint] and admit that the American murican model of capitalism, though it has a place in commerce, has no place in a national healthcare service. But then i guess, Americans Amri in bulk are not in favour of shring services with fellow Americans muricans.

Dont bother to knock the NHS, nothings oerfect, but it beats the sh1x out of the American murican system for 95% of the population.
There I fixed it for you.

Americans have smelt the coffee. America does not have a National Healthcare Service. Healthcare is provided by private corporations at present. Until the American voters can elect politicians who honor their running platforms and work to do something to change a broken system, this is what we have to work with. We need honesty in government and transparency, neither of which we have. Things do not change overnight even with revolutions.
Old May 18th 2018, 3:58 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Healthcare in America..

Originally Posted by Rete
There I fixed it for you.

Americans have smelt the coffee. America does not have a National Healthcare Service. Healthcare is provided by private corporations at present. Until the American voters can elect politicians who honor their running platforms and work to do something to change a broken system, this is what we have to work with. We need honesty in government and transparency, neither of which we have. Things do not change overnight even with revolutions.
Thanks for doing that.
Old May 18th 2018, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The following is a good start for working out what you think you should pay:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...dits-2014.html
Old May 18th 2018, 8:53 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Muricans should then learn how to speak more succinctly if its so differently spelt to spoken, i spent months listening to how wonderful murica was when i had to stand in for a sick disney person. The texans were easier, but then they arent muricans.

Incidentally, muricans havent smelt the coffee, if seattles best was as advertised, im sorry for them. The milkshake made using nestlé floor sweepings and sold by starbucks is truly horrible. Look at how much money is spent on coffee beans per cup in murica compared with any european country and all will become clear.
Old May 18th 2018, 10:28 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Muricans should then learn how to speak more succinctly if its so differently spelt to spoken, i spent months listening to how wonderful murica was when i had to stand in for a sick disney person. The texans were easier, but then they arent muricans.

Incidentally, muricans havent smelt the coffee, if seattles best was as advertised, im sorry for them. The milkshake made using nestlé floor sweepings and sold by starbucks is truly horrible. Look at how much money is spent on coffee beans per cup in murica compared with any european country and all will become clear.
There's so much anger and derision in this post. I'm going to take a shower.
Old May 18th 2018, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
There's so much anger and derision in this post. I'm going to take a shower.
No anger honestly, some derision and bemusement however. I decided on a bath :-)
Old May 18th 2018, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Obamacare is not based on gross salary it is based on modified adjusted gross income. I am an independent contractor. My MAGI is fairly low.
Old May 18th 2018, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Obamacare is not based on gross salary it is based on modified adjusted gross income. I am an independent contractor. My MAGI is fairly low.
If your MAGI is $29k you should be eligible for subsidies. Or do you live ina state that didn't expand Medicaid and you have multiple dependents? That might mean your income is too low for subsidies.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 18th 2018 at 11:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.