Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Move to Florida, is it really safe?

Move to Florida, is it really safe?

Old May 21st 2016, 12:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Move to Florida, is it really safe?

I like the lifestyle and some of the property is really priced to sell! I saw this article this morning though and I wonder if these things could get in the door and hide under the bed.

Florida crocodiles: Man-eating Nile beasts confirmed in swamps - BBC News
Old May 21st 2016, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Florida, is it really safe?

Well this Alligator might be smart enough
Who's there? Alligator caught on camera attempting to ring doorbell of home while owner's out - Mirror Online

Door bell rings. You open the door and WHAM its in and curling up in from of the fire or getting you to turn on the AC. Are you sure thats your handbag under the bed?
Old May 21st 2016, 2:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I like the lifestyle and some of the property is really priced to sell! I saw this article this morning though and I wonder if these things could get in the door and hide under the bed.

Florida crocodiles: Man-eating Nile beasts confirmed in swamps - BBC News
Expert says they didn't swim here from Africa. An expert was needed for that information?
Old May 21st 2016, 8:52 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There's more chance of contacting the Zika virus in Florida than being attacked by a croc.
Old May 21st 2016, 12:00 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

My mother in law lives here, I''m currently down myself visiting. Yes, there are alligators here - everywhere, there's even a local road called Alligator Alley. I was talking to neighbors the other day and they were saying they saw one recently. My mother in law lives near a man made lake and they've been seen in there. I've played crazy golf with them swimming right by, took a selfie right next to one with a wire fence in between us. I've eaten them, bit chewy but tasteless otherwise. You can pet and hold baby ones at petting zoos in a bunch of places here, friends of mine have done so with their kids

As for Florida in general, I don't like it personally because I'm not a sun person (currently 87 degrees and 75% humidity at 8 at night so that makes it close to 35 degrees in old money), if I was I wouldn't live in Chicago. It's generally one of the cheapest parts of the country overall - no income tax and property tax is cheap. I find the people here as nice as anywhere else in the country; you get a lot of Americans from other parts of the country so it's a unique mix. There's plenty of red necks here also but I'm not a snob so it's all good. There's some nice towns such as Naples which has a great night life and posh restaurant scene, there's lots of amazing beaches and Miami is one of the most underrated cities in America but beyond that Florida is just endless malls and chain restaurants, not unlike lots of other places but even more pronounced here and the landscape is as flat as a pancake. I wouldn't come here if I kids, either, public schools in Flordia are notoriously bad. Enjoy

Last edited by themadpooper; May 21st 2016 at 12:03 pm.
Old May 21st 2016, 1:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
My mother in law lives here, I''m currently down myself visiting. Yes, there are alligators here - everywhere, there's even a local road called Alligator Alley. I was talking to neighbors the other day and they were saying they saw one recently. My mother in law lives near a man made lake and they've been seen in there. I've played crazy golf with them swimming right by, took a selfie right next to one with a wire fence in between us. I've eaten them, bit chewy but tasteless otherwise. You can pet and hold baby ones at petting zoos in a bunch of places here, friends of mine have done so with their kids

As for Florida in general, I don't like it personally because I'm not a sun person (currently 87 degrees and 75% humidity at 8 at night so that makes it close to 35 degrees in old money), if I was I wouldn't live in Chicago. It's generally one of the cheapest parts of the country overall - no income tax and property tax is cheap. I find the people here as nice as anywhere else in the country; you get a lot of Americans from other parts of the country so it's a unique mix. There's plenty of red necks here also but I'm not a snob so it's all good. There's some nice towns such as Naples which has a great night life and posh restaurant scene, there's lots of amazing beaches and Miami is one of the most underrated cities in America but beyond that Florida is just endless malls and chain restaurants, not unlike lots of other places but even more pronounced here and the landscape is as flat as a pancake. I wouldn't come here if I kids, either, public schools in Flordia are notoriously bad. Enjoy
Yes, yes.

But the article was about Nile crocodiles, not alligators.
Old May 23rd 2016, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I really like crocodilians, any species that survived what wiped out the dinosaurs deserves respect!
Old May 23rd 2016, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 23rd 2016, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO!
Old May 23rd 2016, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it was an American Croc with an African accent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_crocodile
Old May 23rd 2016, 3:04 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Perhaps a croc with DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY?
Old May 23rd 2016, 3:22 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by mrken30

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_crocodile
Really, American? I'd want to see the birth certificate.
Old May 23rd 2016, 6:00 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

President Trump will round up all those crocs and ship em back to Africa. Some of them could be terrorists pretending to be crocs
Old May 23rd 2016, 7:47 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by dc koop
President Trump will round up all those crocs and ship em back to Africa. Some of them could be terrorists pretending to be crocs
He'll do that, then later he'll "make nice," tell us that crocodiles are good animals.