Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Missing your German Wursts or Irish Bacon

Missing your German Wursts or Irish Bacon

Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing your German Wursts or Irish Bacon

Originally Posted by edwords
Good to hear about Karl Ehmer.
My father, emigrated with my mother from England to the US in 1949, and began working at Karl Ehmer a year or so later. He stayed on the job until shortly before his death in 1979. Needless to say, he was the only Englishman at what was otherwise a virtually all-German company.
--John

What an amazingly small world it is at times. My mother and I came to the US in 1948 as a war bride. She shopped Karl Ehmer's since the very early 1950's.

I dug into the bratwurst and weisswurst over the weekend and it was sublime. Waiting to make the hurka on a night that I need a little comfort food.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Amazing indeed. My mother was also a war bride. My father met her while stationed in Hamburg.

You can read the whole story on my website:
http://gojohnedwards.com/html/bio_notes.html
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Here is something I am going to try as I hate to spend $60 on Fed Ex!!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Make_your_ow...stes_fantastic

If it works I will post a comment!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:12 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigs
Here is something I am going to try as I hate to spend $60 on Fed Ex!!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Make_your_ow...stes_fantastic

If it works I will post a comment!
surely tho - thats still 'belly' ie streaky - not the back bacon we all want
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Not if you get the beast from a butcher or pre pick it from a Asian grocery store. I have already have mine in the brine.

Talk with them and tell them what you need.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:28 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

In Manhattan there is a great German butcher called Schaller and Webber. You can order from them online schallerweber.com. I you live in the New York area the Butcher's Block in Queens has lots of great UK and Irish food products!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Brits like German food? This is news to me.
god yar love german food!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

I am a little unusal, my dad worked for a german company so spent all my hoildays in germany, but his family we can trace back to 1066 and all that, my mums family are from germany and it is only in the last few years we found out why they were not interned during the war dispite her grandfather goose stepping up and down in the streets of London, I cann't thing of anything better than wurst, pomfret mit katchup, appart from obviously bangers and mash
Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
In Manhattan there is a great German butcher called Schaller and Webber. You can order from them online schallerweber.com. I you live in the New York area the Butcher's Block in Queens has lots of great UK and Irish food products!

They are located next to Cafe Heidelberg and I do not like their wursts which are sold in all our local Westchester supermarkets. It gives me the trots unfortunately.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:18 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
They are located next to Cafe Heidelberg and I do not like their wursts which are sold in all our local Westchester supermarkets. It gives me the trots unfortunately.
That's too bad. I used to work in a hotel and we had a German chef who always ordered from them and used their products in a lot of dishes and people loved them They've been around over 100 years so they must be doing something right! Most of the German places in my neighborhood are gone. There used to be a place called the Ideal that had the best German apple pancakes! Do you remember that place Rete?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:08 pm
Concierge

No, I don't remember the Ideal. As a family we often were in the city to visit family friends and CH was one of our stops and there was another German restaurant a few blocks away but I don't recall its name. Up here in Westchester we had two that I remember going to (although there are several more). One was Traveler's Rest and was the Red Shutters near Bear Mountain and Sprout Lake. We loved that one. In the center of the round table was a lazy susan with held potato pancakes, creamed spinach, red cabbage, apple sauce, bean salad. Unfortunately, they had a kitchen fire and they never reopened.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Rete
No, I don't remember the Ideal. As a family we often were in the city to visit family friends and CH was one of our stops and there was another German restaurant a few blocks away but I don't recall its name. Up here in Westchester we had two that I remember going to (although there are several more). One was Traveler's Rest and was the Red Shutters near Bear Mountain and Sprout Lake. We loved that one. In the center of the round table was a lazy susan with held potato pancakes, creamed spinach, red cabbage, apple sauce, bean salad. Unfortunately, they had a kitchen fire and they never reopened.
I cn't remember the oy=ther restauranst name either but it was on 86th st near the Ideal. The Heidelberg is still there although I don't know how much longer. They are tering so many old buildings down and putting up lots of unafordable high rises! Thank God for rent stabilization!