Migraines

Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migraines

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
About 30 years ago we were on holiday in Florida when hubby got Dehli Belly. He went into a pharmacist and asked for kaolin and morphine...which was an old remedy for the trots and given out freely by my vet for my dogs. Needless to say the pharmacist nearly collapsed on the floor.
it's still made in the UK if you know where to look. Always used in my family (tendency to IBS), I preferred it to immodium as it was far more comforting. Not surprising when you look at the ingredients:
  • Morphine
  • Kaolin
  • Sodium bicarbonate
  • Black treacle
  • Liquorice liquid extract
  • Peppermint oil
  • Alcohol 96%
  • Anaesthetic ether
  • Chloroform
  • Liquid sugar
  • Purified water
Who isn't going to feel better after a dose of alcohol, ether and chloroform?!
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:12 am

Flopsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Not sure what you mean?
We rarely eat processed food, everything is made from scratch, lots of salads, lean protein, vegetables. Not difficult to find these items in the store....

Yes it's easy to find vegetables. But it's not so easy to know where they come from. In the uk I ate veggies from a local farmer that came from a field I could see. Here everything is industrially farmed and organic is obscenely over priced when compared to uk prices.
Plus the meat here is pumped full of growth hormones and my migraines are hormone related so I'm wondering if that's relevant.
There are a lot of preservatives, additives and food growing methods here that are banned by eu regulations.
I eat decently here. I'm not snacking on in n out everyday. I eat salads, fresh fruit, smoothies, steamed veggies and white meat. It's more the quality of the produce that concerns me.
And even if everything is made fresh at home from well sourced produce what happens when you eat out?!
I'm not thinking it's the weather because today was lovely and cool, last time it was hot, the first time I was in big bear during snow :/ I think a trip to a doctor is necessary.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

My migraine history is very similar sounding to that of the OP. Mine haven't increased since being here thank goodness, only thing I would suggest is keeping a food diary for a while and seeing if there are any triggers.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

wish I knew what triggers them. I get them about 5 days per year. Have never figured out what causes them. Last visit the doc finally gave me replax after I begged for meds She wanted me to have a scan, but without medical insurance I didn't obviously want to get that! she gave me 10 replax pills! I hope you figure out what causes yours because I KNOW how ill you can be with them..
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:23 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Hope you are ok
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry I missed this post.

Hope you are OK...sounds dreadful.
Thanks. It's getting better just reallllly slowly. I can at least function now, albeit with a constant migraine.
It was due to being tested for meningitis (lumbar puncture/spinal tap) so really a 2 week migraine was the better outcome because thankfully I didn't have meningitis.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

I've always had Migraines. When I lived in the UK, I'd take Co-codamol, which is paracetamol and codeine.
I found out you couldn't get it here without a prescription, so, When I went back to the UK for vacation, I stocked up, and brought a couple of hundred tablets over....Not realizing it was illegal to do that!!:
When I realized I was bringing 'illegal drugs' into the country, I freaked at what might have happened if my case got opened at customs!!!

Now, I get Maxalt from my doctor (expensive if you haven't got insurance)and they work fantastically. You melt one under the tongue, for almost instant relief....saved me from many a 3-day blaster!
Old Jun 7th 2014, 8:44 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I get migraines as well. Mine are hormonal and stress related. I used to take Topamax but it really didn't do much. I would get them probably two or three times a month. I would get very nauseous and light sensitive and some days just couldn't leave the house the pain was so bad. I got acupuncture for them just over a month ago and (knock wood) have not had one since. I had three treatments. I also found B.C powder helps. It's an over the counter powdered aspirin and caffeine combo.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I get migraines as well. Mine are hormonal and stress related. I used to take Topamax but it really didn't do much. I would get them probably two or three times a month. I would get very nauseous and light sensitive and some days just couldn't leave the house the pain was so bad. I got acupuncture for them just over a month ago and (knock wood) have not had one since. I had three treatments. I also found B.C powder helps. It's an over the counter powdered aspirin and caffeine combo.
Please be very careful with the BC powder, it can cause intestinal problems if over used.

And before anyone jumps on me for that, I mean "excessive" use not occasional.
A guy M worked with was using them everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. His large intestine became eroded and he recently had emergency surgery from a massive internal bleed.