Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Mid-terms - hold my nose and tick the box?

Mid-terms - hold my nose and tick the box?

Old Oct 25th 2022, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mid-terms - hold my nose and tick the box?

If the single-transferable vote system is used, we could vote more confidently for someone who represents our values without worrying about splitting the vote between two candidates for the same party which would let the other party win (could also remove the need for a primary, which is done a bit weirdly in WA anyway). That way, the party would more accurately reflect the voters rather than people choosing a compromise based on electability that leads to the stagnant lifelong politicians that dominate the parties today.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 9:36 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
If the single-transferable vote system is used, we could vote more confidently for someone who represents our values without worrying about splitting the vote between two candidates for the same party which would let the other party win (could also remove the need for a primary, which is done a bit weirdly in WA anyway). That way, the party would more accurately reflect the voters rather than people choosing a compromise based on electability that leads to the stagnant lifelong politicians that dominate the parties today.
The two main parties - who are just different sides of the same coin will fight that unto the death. Neither of them really cares when they are out of power, knowing that they will get back in sooner or later. And when they are in opposition they can pander to their base with hot button issues to get more $$$$$$$$$.

I find congress one of the most repugnant institutions in the whole of the country.
Old Oct 27th 2022, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

On the State level and Federal levels, I have no issues about who to vote apart from the fact my vote will never count in TX. It's the local level with all the bond issues and the total lack of information about the local elected officials that always make my head fizzle and ache. I can guarantee that from a population of 75,000, at most, a couple thousand will vote on an issue if it's a hot-button topic like a totally unnecessary football stadium for the local school district. It's used about a dozen times a year and holds 10,000 people. More often or not, it's about 80!
Old Oct 28th 2022, 2:21 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

As a floating / undecided voter, I find the 2 party system limiting. If there was a 3rd middle of the road option, politics may be less divided.

Maybe I should stand up and start the MAGBA movement - Make America Great Britain Again
Old Oct 28th 2022, 5:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
As a floating / undecided voter, I find the 2 party system limiting. If there was a 3rd middle of the road option, politics may be less divided.

Maybe I should stand up and start the MAGBA movement - Make America Great Britain Again
We have a third candidate for the Governor's office in Oregon. She is running as an independent, but is a very middle of the road democrat, who would have no chance of being picked as the democratic candidate where only ultra progressive democrats get selected. She started out as favorite but as election day nears has slipped back in the polls as the two party candidates are about equal and people either don't want another 4 four years of democratic mismanagement, or a republican governor. A real shame as she is by far the best for the job.
Old Oct 28th 2022, 6:57 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Really? So, you feel it makes no difference if the US House and/or Senate is Republican or Democratic controlled come January?
It makes no difference. Republicans and Democrats are just different parts of a 2 headed snake. Candidates for The House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate from both parties receive campaign donations from many of the same wealthy corporations and uber wealthy donors Voting is a waste of time in the UK, the US and in almost every nation on the planet.

Old Oct 28th 2022, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

They both suck, but don't let that overshadow that one sucks ten times worse than the other.
Old Oct 30th 2022, 12:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

First day of early voting yesterday! Polling place was packed. When I got home my wife asked me if I recognized any of the poll workers (she works at that polling place so knows all the people.) Er .. they were four old ladies, two republicans and two democrats.

I spread my votes about, voted on three different party lines.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Filled mine in and sent it off. The primary process produced two oddities for my district this time - two Republicans up for the same seat, and two well-qualified candidates up for a big seat (not the same pair). The primary process usually results in one from each party, but being a Dem area there will often be two Dems. Not sure I've seen two Republicans make it through to the head-to-head in the time that I have been able to vote. One of them is qualified and the other falls for every conspiracy out there. For the other seat, it is nice to see a difficult choice between two good candidates rather than between two poor ones - it is far too common to have one idiot who is clearly only there because people don't want to vote for a candidate wearing a certain colour ribbon, regardless of their skills and policies.

Mrs "Did you know my husband is blind?" Dependapotomus seems to be doing better in the polls (the blind thing seems to be working since she has gone overboard on it in her latest advert), but it never really means anything, the votes are what counts. It's weird how some people will only vote if they think their candidate will win, so they hate polls showing them as behind. If it ends up close, it will be interesting to see if it spurs the Democrats to put forward a better candidate than Murray next time.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 10:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Colored the boxes in and sent the ballot off. Ended up voting for the people who I thought would do the least damage if elected, even if they were representing a party who in the main I don't support. One idiot, who I didn't vote for, even boasted in her adverts how she would even take on her own party if elected, no chance of listening to other opinions then.

Said to Mrs L I wish there had been a box for general comments on the ballot, as I would have written - is this bunch of confrontational imbeciles the best candidates the parties can come up with.
Old Nov 9th 2022, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

The "close race" was a complete blowout, with the Republican losing by 14%. I know the media like to pretend that things are closer than they are, but the pollsters putting a race at 1% difference and then being so terribly wrong just shows how little we should rely on polls for these things. The "red wave" has been non-existent in my area, and appears to be a light splash around the rest of the country.
Old Nov 9th 2022, 1:41 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
The "close race" was a complete blowout, with the Republican losing by 14%. I know the media like to pretend that things are closer than they are, but the pollsters putting a race at 1% difference and then being so terribly wrong just shows how little we should rely on polls for these things. The "red wave" has been non-existent in my area, and appears to be a light splash around the rest of the country.
Yep. Murray breezed past Smiley without breaking a sweat, and it looks like Kim Schrier is on track to win again. AFAICT, there was barely a red ripple...
Old Nov 9th 2022, 1:48 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Smiley is apparently claiming that she will win after "every legal vote is counted."
Old Nov 9th 2022, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Smiley is apparently claiming that she will win after "every legal vote is counted."
Delusional but the grift has to continue I guess
Old Nov 9th 2022, 2:10 pm
Shocked of Redmond

I think it's a plea for Cheeto Man not to forget her in the future. Don't forget, he HATES losers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.