Microsoft Surface?

Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:56 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Microsoft Surface?

There is a thread in Aus forum I read, but I want a local opinion. It sounds good to me. What are the pitfalls, and what would be a better option?

I have $400 odd to spend. I have a HP pavillion desktop on XP, Office 2000. I don't need the latest greatest, just a decent upgrade for leisure use.

Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:36 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Microsoft Surface?

The RT version of the Surface is apparently not worth buying. I would just get a cheap laptop or desktop. We got my daughter one of these for Christmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-X200CA-HC...ds=asus+laptop

It's a solid little machine at that price.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you want doing.

You can get on Newegg.com a refurb Samsung Galaxy Note 2 10" and 8" for $250 right now, well last night.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:41 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on what you want doing.
This.

AT WORK...

We have Surface Pros. The library staff use them for running their Follet/Destiny software and the coaches use them for... sports... stuff.. ( I dunno... it's outdoors). They are a perfect replacement for a business laptop.

We have some Surface RTs. Not ideal for a lot of things, but they come with MS Office installed, work with our networked printers, have USB and are (relatively) inexpensive. We use them for student lab work.

We have iPads... These get used for... something. Not sure what exactly, no one seems to be able to tell me what they are actually good for, but it must be something because we keep buying them.

AT HOME...

We have iPads and I just bought a Kindle HDX. The iPad has more apps, the Kindle is my shiny toy to play with Amazon content (which really is the only place I buy anything anyhow, so fits perfectly). Suprisingly (to me anyway), the Kindle also will print to all of our network printers at work. Seamless printing capability may not seem like much, until you find that you need it and your $#@%! iPad cant do it.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

We have iPads and I just bought a Kindle HDX. The iPad has more apps, the Kindle is my shiny toy to play with Amazon content (which really is the only place I buy anything anyhow, so fits perfectly). Suprisingly (to me anyway), the Kindle also will print to all of our network printers at work. Seamless printing capability may not seem like much, until you find that you need it and your $#@%! iPad cant do it.
You can get the Kindle store installed on most Android devices. Don't have native Instant Video, but go to website, check the "desktop" version and it works....clearly not ideal as that's harder to share, but it works....and yes, printing to the cloud works. I even printed a document to pdf on my tab and was able to print it at the library, and view it instantly on the ipad and desktop at home, which is nifty. Because I've yet to figure out how to print from the iPad, other than sticking it on a photocopier to print screen :/
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You can get the Kindle store installed on most Android devices. Don't have native Instant Video, but go to website, check the "desktop" version and it works....clearly not ideal as that's harder to share, but it works....and yes, printing to the cloud works. I even printed a document to pdf on my tab and was able to print it at the library, and view it instantly on the ipad and desktop at home, which is nifty. Because I've yet to figure out how to print from the iPad, other than sticking it on a photocopier to print screen :/
I can walk into work and all of our networked laserjets work directly from the Kindle.. Even the large collating machines. The only thing I couldn't get to work was the stapling function. Amazing.

The Surfaces obviously will work as they are Windows devices and drivers are plentiful, but the Kindle was a real surprise.

The iPads make great electronic magazines, but from what I can tell they suck for doing any actual, useful, productive work.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't we just have this thread? The regular Surface is a waste of time, RT is a crippled version of Windows and Microsoft is apparently going to discontinue it anyway.

Surface Pro is basically just a PC, hey if you like it, buy it, but there are many other similar Windows-based gizmos out there.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a first-gen Surface RT. It's a nice little device for consuming media, me and OH sometimes watch netflix on it in bed. I've got the Nook and Kindle apps and it makes a decent e-reader. I loathe and detest the Win 8 "metro" interface on our non-touchscreen laptop, but on a touchscreen I rather like it; if MSFT could have got it out a bit earlier, it might have given iOS a run for its money.

BUT, I only have it because my brother used to work for the Beast of Redmond. When it eventually breaks I'll by an iPad, like a normal person.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 1:05 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The RT version of the Surface is apparently not worth buying. I would just get a cheap laptop or desktop. We got my daughter one of these for Christmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-X200CA-HC...ds=asus+laptop

It's a solid little machine at that price.
You're a winner!
That looks like what I want.
Who can tell me why I don't want it?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
You're a winner!
That looks like what I want.
Because the guys in Best Buy said the Lenovo would be better, so I went along with what they said. Not entirely sure if I made the right decision, one good thing is the webcam is really good when I talk to my son

(I had originally decided to buy an Asus)
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Because the guys in Best Buy said the Lenovo would be better, so I went along with what they said. Not entirely sure if I made the right decision, one good thing is the webcam is really good when I talk to my son

(I had originally decided to buy an Asus)
Ordinarily I would doubt any advice from Best Buy. That said most Lenovo stuff is ok particularly the Thinkpad stuff.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by RICH
Win8
3 cell battery
Celeron processor

Saying all that, Asus are rock solid.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Ordinarily I would doubt any advice from Best Buy. That said most Lenovo stuff is ok particularly the Thinkpad stuff.
It cofuses me. But that is not a hard thing to do.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Win8
Agree, Windows 8 is appallingly bad. I downloaded a little program called Classic Shell. I now have a Win 7 start menu back, without removing Win 8. Works like a dream.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20267...-for-free.html
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:44 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Bob
Win8
3 cell battery
Celeron processor

Saying all that, Asus are rock solid.
Does that mean battery life is crap?

Win8 and celeron l can live with!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.