Wikiposts

Mice

Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:29 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mice

Originally Posted by Irn-bru

We just bought the ultra-sonic thingys but have read mice are clever and will adapt and they only work for about 2 months.
I've put in a couple that I bought at Lowes, but yesterday I found one online called the Attack Wave - it says it varies the output so they can't adapt. We'll see.

The strange thing is that since we saw them we've had a couple of traps out with peanut butter in (2 nights now), but no sign of the mice again.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moles!

New emergency!!!

A MOLE has taken up residence!!! (how did he tunnel under the road? where the heck did he come from? Is it even a 'he'???)

We're stomping down his little hole piles to keep him interested until the mole trap gets here.
Any other tips for maximum elimination? (ABY, no firearms available)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moles!

Originally Posted by meauxna
New emergency!!!

A MOLE has taken up residence!!! (how did he tunnel under the road? where the heck did he come from? Is it even a 'he'???)

We're stomping down his little hole piles to keep him interested until the mole trap gets here.
We had a mole problem a few years ago...bought a couple of sonicthingymajigs from Sharper Image. It's looks a little like a 12" tube...you stick them in the ground and the sonic waves scare the moles away. It worked.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We had a mole problem a few years ago...bought a couple of sonicthingymajigs from Sharper Image. It's looks a little like a 12" tube...you stick them in the ground and the sonic waves scare the moles away. It worked.
hmmm, scare off vs death.

Will take it under advisement.
(he was a no-show yesterday, maybe he already took the hint)
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:40 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we're up to 4 dead mice now (I bought electronic traps that fry them). I also put in ultrasonic repellers but it doesn't seem like they're doing much considering the last 2 nights in a row we've caught one - both in the trap closest to the ultrasonic thingy.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:45 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Well, we're up to 4 dead mice now (I bought electronic traps that fry them).
how do they taste?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:53 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by elfman
how do they taste?
I tell you what next time I get one I'll send it to you.

I had to thoroughly clean out one trap - the light flashes for 24 hours after it's got one. We must have not been paying attention because I found it by accident and it must have been there a while. I had flicked the switch off and on again which seems to have made it's fur stand on end, and it was partially stuck to the inside. It was a bit smelly too.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:27 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you what next time I get one I'll send it to you.

I had to thoroughly clean out one trap - the light flashes for 24 hours after it's got one. We must have not been paying attention because I found it by accident and it must have been there a while. I had flicked the switch off and on again which seems to have made it's fur stand on end, and it was partially stuck to the inside. It was a bit smelly too.
I always use the "live traps" - little gray plastic ones about the size of a stapler or a computer mouse. They don't have much in the way of ventilation in them. If the mouse is in there more than about 20 minutes, the smell that emerges when you liberate the mouse is absolutely unbelievable.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

we were plagued with mice in our kitchen drawers for a long time...

I tried the sticky patches ... covered the entire drawer... added bait... got up the next morning to a drawer devoid of bait... but the sticky patches had lil footprints in them...

bought 2 of those humane catchers.... the ones that rock back and close when the mouse enters....got up the next morning to BOTH OF THEM destroyed... eaten from inside out.

opted for the plastic snappers... added peanut butter and the next day we caught one... however ALL 10 traps were triggered.. no peanut butter left..

NINJA MICE... thats what we had.

at that point i thought i'd won (how naive was I)...

cleaned up the drawers, put everything back in....next day the entire drawer had been ravaged again..

I went for old fashioned spring traps... 10 in 1 drawer again....

next morning we had 2... over the weeks we got maybe another 10.... then it quietened down..

3months later we STILL had the occasional visit... but nothing was being caught... i got pissed and sat one night... saw them come out .... up the damned drain pipe hole under the sink....

Cue "magical polystyrene spray filler from hell"... inserted the lil pipe into every hole under the sink, behind the dishwasher... the whole thing... used 3 cans and sealed up everything.

that was 4months ago... seen nothing since.

having smelled the after effects of D-con in the past... i never even considered it.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
New emergency!!!

Are you sure it isn't a gopher? We have those piles all over the back 40 AKA my yard.
The Cat does a good job of sitting by the holes and waiting, I just wish she didn't leave me the little gifts of guts by the door to the garage, right where I step and usually barefoot.
We also have mice in our Attic. Dh tried to convince me I was hallucinating and there was nothing there when I woke when I was ill and was walking round and round listening and telling him to shush.
Now they have moved all over the attic and can be heard usually in the wee hours scurrying about above our heads in all the rooms.
Victor traps with peanut butter have caught nothing as yet. The traps worked well in the garage on year when placed on top of the tyres and loaded with Peanut butter.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:01 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Take it down to the park and let it loose. I'd rather do that than throw a dead one in the bin, but ultimately either way works really.
I hope you DO plan on letting it (them?) loose. I love mice. I love all animals. We have a lot of cats though, so mice don't last long in our house.
But if I find them I will save them.
You can get humane traps for around $3.00 at Lowe's. Then it would stay (covered) in the humane trap till you got home to release it and your wife wouldn't have to worry.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:03 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
I hope you DO plan on letting it (them?) loose. I love mice. I love all animals. We have a lot of cats though, so mice don't last long in our house.
But if I find them I will save them.
You can get humane traps for around $3.00 at Lowe's. Then it would stay (covered) in the humane trap till you got home to release it and your wife wouldn't have to worry.
Too late, fried 4 already. She doesn't have to see them then either, plus I don't have to take them a couple of miles away to release them.