Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:08 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Makes more sense to be in January anyway, since the coldest weather is usually later than Dec 21st anyway but we weren't exactly dealing with the most scientifically minded people when these conventions were first adopted.

Interestingly, and rather off topic, but the Earth is actually slightly closer to the sun during the (northern) winter than during the summer, it is just the axial tilt that points 'away' from the sun as it were.

So now you can tell everyone - the Earth's axial tilt is the true 'reason for the season'
Yes I learned that, as I said a few posts ago, I had not come across the 'Dec 21st is the start of winter' until I came to America, so it got me googling a bit on it, so I discovered the point you mention above, and some cultures have winter starting in November. Norwegian meteorologists say it is October 14! I had never heard of 'seasonal lag' till the whole winter thing came up either.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Yes I learned that, as I said a few posts ago, I had not come across the 'Dec 21st is the start of winter' until I came to America, so it got me googling a bit on it, so I discovered the point you mention above, and some cultures have winter starting in November. Norwegian meteorologists say it is October 14!
I have always understood that 21 Dec is the beginning of winter. 21 March start of Spring....21 June start of summer...21 Sept start of autumn.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have always understood that 21 Dec is the beginning of winter. 21 March start of Spring....21 June start of summer...21 Sept start of autumn.
Is it just me then?

I felt safe in putting Sultan in an astronomy mind set, given his training.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me then?

I felt safe in putting Sultan in an astronomy mind set, given his training.
Plenty of others use the meteorlogical convention, starting winter on Dec 1st. Things like the first snow will herald the start of winter in some traditions, which will often occur as early as October at high latitudes (which is probably why Norway says October 14). Seasonal lag falls into this as well.

It was only in the last few hundred years when we started to understand the astronomical reason for the seasons, i.e. the position of the Earth's axis relative to the Sun - so these are relatively new ideas, in 6,000 years of recorded history, and 200,000 years as a species

Still - Happy bloody Christmas nonetheless
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:51 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm in agreement with you. What we in the Northern Hemisphere call the winter solstice is an astronomical event - it's the day of the year that has the shortest period of daylight and the sun is at it's lowest point on the horizon. Nothing to do with when the meteorological period of winter starts and ends. The two shouldn't be conflated.

Regards, JEff

Why does the astronomical community consider the shortest day to be the start of winter? I am guessing with your background you probably know.

I have been accustomed to the start of Dec being the start of winter for meteorological community (and the man in the street) and the solstice being mid-winter from pagan/new age communities, I had not come across the solstice being considered the start of winter until I came to America, but I do not know any astronomers (apart from you)
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Amen. Or inshalla, if you prefer.

Regards, JEff

Peace on Earth? That'll never happen while religion exists .
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Amen. Or inshalla, if you prefer.

Regards, JEff
Ameshalla. In the spirit of homogenising things at this, the early-mid-late(in Norway)-Winter time ...
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:04 pm

Not according to quite a few ardent Christmas celebrants here in the USA, who insist that the latter is the same as the former.

Regards, JEff

6,000 years of recorded history, and 200,000 years as a species
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:08 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Not according to quite a few ardent Christmas celebrants here in the USA, who insist that the latter is the same as the former.

Regards, JEff
Ah, yes - those guys are always good for a laugh ...
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:20 pm
He/him

See you in six months when we shall discuss Shakespeare and whether 'Midsummers Nights Dream' should be translated as 'Startsummers nights dream'
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:22 pm
I have a comma problem

See you in six months when we shall discuss Shakespeare and whether 'Midsummers Nights Dream' should be translated as 'Startsummers nights dream'
I can't comment on that but I'll tell you one thing, it certainly shouldn't have been called a comedy
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The start of winter ? Surely 21 Dec is MIDWINTER. The solstice marks the middle of the season.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:26 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by scot47
The start of winter ? Surely 21 Dec is MIDWINTER. The solstice marks the middle of the season.
Yay! I am not alone.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:29 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I will say Merry/Happy Christmas, but if someone says what religious celebration that they have, I will wish them a Happy ****. I will not say Happy Holidays, and it's tough if they get offended over it.
Are you offended at Season's greetings? Lots of those cards in UK. Never heard of anyone being offended by that.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by captainsensible
I've been led to believe that it can be considered 'offensive' by the overly PC fraternity to say 'Merry Christmas' to other people nowadays (particularly if they are of a different 'faith' - although I am not of any faith or belief).

Personally, I couldn't care less if someone was offended by that, and if they made it clear to me they were I would simply state that my traditional seasonal greeting was unencumbered with any religious sentiment.

How do others feel?
Merry Christmas for me. I don't mean anything by it other than "have a good time". If people want to use a different greeting, I take it in the spirit it was intended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.