British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Meanwhile in Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/meanwhile-florida-924126/)

Pulaski Apr 13th 2019 12:54 pm

Meanwhile in Florida

The WTF thread is starting to get clogged up with Florida stories, so obviously Florida needs it's own thread. :thumbsup:

I Googled <Florida news> a few moments ago, and this was the first story in the list. :blink:

Ex-mayor of Port Richie, is facing multiple charges, including operating an illegal medical practice out of his home, allegedly shooting at cops and conspiring to impede an investigation against him. He also reportedly smoked crack cocaine nightly and used meth while he was still in office.

caretaker Apr 13th 2019 3:07 pm

Re: Meanwhile in Florida

Florida has to get a little leeway; there could well be something going on there that's conducive to bad behaviour.

Hotscot Apr 13th 2019 3:16 pm

It certainly attracts lots of certain types of behavior Brits...

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 13th 2019 4:40 pm

"Authorities said three naked women who were seen applying suntan lotion at a Florida rest stop led police on a 21-mile chase, drove a car at one deputy and threatened another with a bat."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-21-mile-chase

Hotscot Apr 13th 2019 5:09 pm

Pics?

RICH Apr 13th 2019 5:38 pm

I love living here! These stories are on the local news every morning. AlmostšŸ¤£

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 13th 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 12670235)
Pics?

Not sure I want to see pics judging from their mug shots.

Hotscot Apr 13th 2019 5:47 pm

I'll pass:hand:

zzrmark Apr 13th 2019 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12670256)
I love living here! These stories fill the local news every morning.

Corrected by your neighbour!

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 13th 2019 6:46 pm

Kentucky just outlawed Bestiality, should they get a thread?

zzrmark Apr 13th 2019 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12670104)
The WTF thread is starting to get clogged up with Florida stories, so obviously Florida needs it's own thread. :thumbsup:

I Googled <Florida news> a few moments ago, and this was the first story in the list. :blink:

Ex-mayor of Port Richie, is facing multiple charges, including operating an illegal medical practice out of his home, allegedly shooting at cops and conspiring to impede an investigation against him. He also reportedly smoked crack cocaine nightly and used meth while he was still in office.

I feel sorry for you northerners, Google has supplied you with the merest hint of a story and has given you a half decent lead picture. Just to tempt you into further browsing on other stories about this case, his mugshots are dreadful and it was the vice mayor who got had up as the chap on the outside impeding the investigation. ( I was going to use a smilie but it's too hard choosing between a ROFL or a wtf type!)

Pulaski Apr 13th 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12670279)
I feel sorry for you northerners, ....

I am in The South. :frown: Save "northerners" for those in the New York area and New England.

I would also like to point out that Florida is not usually considered to be in The South. :nod: Maybe that is why you're struggling to understand what is and is not in The South. :unsure:

caretaker Apr 13th 2019 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12670287)
I am in The South. :frown: Save "northerners" for those in the New York area and New England. I would also like to point out that Florida is not usually considered to be in The South. :nod: Maybe that is why you're struggling to understand what is and is not in The South. :unsure:

It was a member of the Confederacy....

carcajou Apr 14th 2019 12:00 am

The border of the South is Orlando. Everything south of Orlando is effectively Northern. Everything north of Orlando, to Jacksonville and across to Pensacola, is Southern.

Miami used to be called "the sixth borough" because of all the New Yorkers who migrated there. Southern Florida was settled much later than northern Florida, and by a different group of people - it wasn't the northern Florida ranchers and farmers organically expanding south, it was northeasterners moving down thanks to the new railroad (built to encourage northeastern tourism) and the invention of air conditioning to make staying year-round viable. So the two parts of the state developed very, very differently. Southern Florida was never, ever part of the South culturally or economically, nor were there any population centres there during the Civil War. Miami was originally called Lemon City and didn't get incorporated until the late 1800s. The part of Florida that was "Southern" was extremely rural and mostly citrus and cattle farms. That's also why the capital is Tallahassee instead of the major centres like Orlando, Tampa or Miami. They weren't major centres when Florida gained statehood, the population (such that it was) was mostly in the Panhandle. So Tallahassee was the natural choice at the time.

tom169 Apr 14th 2019 12:24 am

Only been to Florida once and it was certainly an experience. I actually wouldn't mind giving it a go for a couple years - as much as I like to LOL at the news.