Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Meanwhile in Florida

Meanwhile in Florida

Old Jun 29th 2020, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meanwhile in Florida

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
How would they know you have replaced them unless the place where you bought them from informs the authorities.
I dare say they wouldn't, although it's not uncommon for people here to grass up property developers and flippers doing unpermitted work.

Most people take a live and let live attitude when it comes to their neighbors remodeling or having contractors in, although if you're the sort of person who makes a habit of falling out with your neighbors then it's best not to give them any reason to check the building permit database online.

The house across the road was remodeled by a flipper without a permit and someone (not me) dobbed them in to Code Compliance, who came out and issued a citation prohibiting any sale until they obtained retrospective permits and closed out them out.

Do you need one to change a lightbulb?
It wouldn't surprise me if the local authorities had found some way to monetize that too.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 12:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes Florida and that shallow water table...ha ha

We have some parts of Metro Vancouver that can't have basements due to the shallow water table, namely Richmond, BC the city across the river from Vancouver, its also high risk for liquefaction during a major earthquake.

But in a lot of houses the basement isn't a true basement as in its underground, the BC special as they call it, is really a 2 floor house, the main living area upstairs, the downstairs being called the basement even though its actually above ground.

Personally I think the style is ugly as can be, but during the big housing booms of the 60's to 80's it was from what I can tell the most popular design.

Surely that's just terminology? Looks like a regular two storey house to me so instead of saying ground floor, first floor, they're saying basement, first floor. Or am I missing something?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 1:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Surely that's just terminology? Looks like a regular two storey house to me so instead of saying ground floor, first floor, they're saying basement, first floor. Or am I missing something?
From what Jsmth said, I believe they are saying "basement, ground floor", and that picture is looking at the backs, so you enter "upstairs" on the ground floor and then go down to the basement level.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
From what Jsmth said, I believe they are saying "basement, ground floor", and that picture is looking at the backs, so you enter "upstairs" on the ground floor and then go down to the basement level.
if that’s the back I wonder if it could be a split level house. Through the front door, then half a dozen steps downstairs, which is usually the bedrooms. Back to the front door, half a dozen steps upstairs, to the living/kitchen.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 1:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
if that’s the back I wonder if it could be a split level house. Through the front door, then half a dozen steps downstairs, which is usually the bedrooms. Back to the front door, half a dozen steps upstairs, to the living/kitchen.
Quite possibly, so yes, that would make sense. And similar monstrosities also exist in the US, but they are generally a long rectangular "ranch" style, with the front door in the centre, both lengthways and vertically. I think they were all built between the late '70's and mid '80's.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The "basement" really isn't a basement, its ground level, living area is upstairs.

Walk in the door, typically have a little area to leave shoes, and then a set of stairs to go up to the main living level.

When this style was originally built the bottom level "basement" was not generally finished, and furnace, water heater, washer/dryer were put down there, the bedrooms, living/dining, kitchen and bathroom were upstairs.

These days a good amount have redone the basement into a fully functional lower level home which is what generally called a "basement" suite, homeowners rent the basement out as mortgage helpers which is how a good chunk of people can afford their mortgage, and investors buy the entire house, and rent each level our separately for 2,000+ a month each level.

So neither a proper basement in the traditional sense, but also not a traditional 2 story home either since originally the family would live upstairs and use the lower level for storage etc, which now morphed into renting the lower level out, and living upstairs.

Old Jun 30th 2020, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

That’s really a good design. The “basement” part is probably concrete block which three to four layers would have been required for a standard foundation. Add eight or nine more layers and now you have twice the square footage of house for very little additional cost.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ddsrph
That’s really a good design. The “basement” part is probably concrete block which three to four layers would have been required for a standard foundation. Add eight or nine more layers and now you have twice the square footage of house for very little additional cost.
Tell me about it! Pulaski Manor house's crawlspace has easily 75% of the volume of a full basement, including a full height access door, but it is just a dirt-floor crawlspace. The additional cost to have made a basement would have been minimal, but basements aren't common in my neck of the woods, and it was built as a spec house.

In fact two houses nearby were built the same way, even though all three were built at different times, by different builders under different circumstances - one was built, hands-on by the owner, one was a custom build for the original owner, and ours was a spec build.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 30th 2020 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 12:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The additional cost to have made a basement would have been minimal
I was working on a spec house with a finished cost of about 1.5M Cdn in the early 90's, big place, 15min commute, backing onto a golf course. The ground floor in the back was partially finished with a crawl space for furnace and water heater and softener, and I didn't see why all that should be wasted. I talked to the builder (he had 3 - 4 of us working for him throughout the project) and convinced him to get the bobcat back before we closed it in, and get all that dirt out to make space for a real utility room, which added quite a bit to the value (I think it was about 1/4 of the basement floor area). The inspector remarked how good overall quality was, and how some independent contractors build as if it was for their own families. When the bank gives you one draw when the basement is in, another when the framing is done, then roof and stucco wire or siding, then doors and windows, etc, changing plans and doing extra work gets expensive. Interest payments are big and relentless right up until you sell the house. Sometimes I think about that job (1st of 4 we built in that community) and smile, because whoever the rich folks living there are, they owe me one for that nice utility space. If I hadn't opened my big mouth they'd be doing laundry in the rec-room.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I have never owned any land that was anywhere near level. My first house I built was full walk-in basement. On the second I deleted the upper house altogether and live in what I called a partial earth sheltered home which is really a walk-in basement with only a truss roof above. As a do it yourself person after the block and brick was done and roof in place I did all the rest as I had a dry place to work to do the non structural interior framing. I bought a truck load of dirt cheap recycled polyiso insulation board and have a house with R 30 plus walls and R 50 attic. I leave one window partially open year round just to get some fresh air. With a 1 1/2 ton heat pump my heating and cooling bill averages around $50 per month year round , probably a little less that $50 as my wife washes and drys laundry daily plus hot water. Monthly total electric bill is $80 per month.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes it amazes me how long it takes some constructions sites to build a 4 floor apartment building. There is one not far from us, the project started in 2017 when we first moved to Vancouver proper, now 3 1/2 years later, they are almost done, signs say renting for September 2020. Construction never appeared to stop, but good lord does it seem to be an awful long time for a fairly small building, but not far away there is a single family house that has taken nearly 3 years to build, these have to be extremes though, I can't imagine this is normal amount of time, but maybe it is. I know it can take a couple years to rezone and get permits in order, but I would have thought once all the approvals were done, actual construction would be quicker.

Imagine if we could build like they did in the days of the empire state building speed wise, those buildings are still standing... and probably will outlast many of the new high rises they build today.....

Old Jul 5th 2020, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A Florida plumbing issue resolved.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
..... A Florida plumbing issue resolved.
Was the drain constricted?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 5th 2020 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Boa that's one hell of a snake.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

A Florida plumbing issue resolved.
I'd say that some Floridaman had a lucky escape, that would have been quite the butt plug!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.