British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   May seem like 3 silly questions....But.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/may-seem-like-3-silly-questions-but-672063/)

Wolfy Jun 11th 2010 9:04 pm

May seem like 3 silly questions....But....
 
Ok Im off to see my USC GF in about 10 hours or at least get on 2 planes and do the distance....lol

Anyway think I have enough proof to prove strong ties with the UK and my intention of coming back when I say I am and wondered over a couple of questions.....in case of secondary screening

I am in a flat but still have copy of the deeds to the property I have 50% ownership in, but paid the mortgage up 2 years ago with soon to be EX who is still living in the house and the as I am going through divorce right now obviously I am at a different address,

but should I take my lease details just in case?

Now I know its down to the officers descretion on the day of who gets in etc...but..as many of you know I have already said I was taking documentation to prove ties in the UK and making this the 3rd visit this year since february, this being the longest period away from each other 10 weeks

..Return ticket
..Airport car parking return date and time
..Deed copies
..letter from employer stating date I return to work and have added a few bits more, which i am hoping it wont come to it, but added
..last 2 payslips
.. flat rental lease
..Car registration document, as all the other addressed documents apart from the flat lease shows old house address.
..and have bought my USC GF a return ticket for her birthday to visit me, which is while im there next week but her trip to me is not until july so shows some intent of me being in the UK with her at some point in my opinion

so my question to these are; have I tried too hard to prove my intent to leave when I say I am...

And the other question is people say not to offer this information willingly, but curious as to why, because if they go to seconday screening I am thinking they will ask why im there and can I prove my intent to leave when I said i was, which obviously I will be able to , just concerned that they will say why didnt i offer this information before hand?

make any sense?

thanks again guys, just a niggling worry I have and to be fair I guess its justified

Bill_S Jun 11th 2010 9:35 pm

Re: May seem like 3 silly questions....But....
 

Originally Posted by Wolfy (Post 8627210)
And the other question is people say not to offer this information willingly, but curious as to why, because if they go to seconday screening I am thinking they will ask why im there and can I prove my intent to leave when I said i was, which obviously I will be able to , just concerned that they will say why didnt i offer this information before hand?

We at BE don't say "don't offer information willingly", we say "answer only the question that is asked". There's a difference. If the officer asks the purpose of your visit, it's find to say "I'm visiting my girlfriend". No need to say "I'm visiting my girfriend and I promise I won't overstay and here's the proof and I have a lease and a job and mates down the pub and I love my mum..." if you launch into your life story after a simple question has been asked they will think you're up to something. If you say "visiting my girlfriend", stop and wait for the next question. Answer it, then wait for the next question. Show the officer what he wants to see when he asks for it.

Wolfy Jun 11th 2010 9:47 pm

Re: May seem like 3 silly questions....But....
 

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 8627279)
if you launch into your life story after a simple question has been asked they will think you're up to something. If you say "visiting my girlfriend", stop and wait for the next question. Answer it, then wait for the next question. Show the officer what he wants to see when he asks for it.

Thanks this makes it clearer, but never thought of it like that

ian-mstm Jun 11th 2010 10:05 pm

Re: May seem like 3 silly questions....But....
 

Originally Posted by Wolfy (Post 8627309)
Thanks this makes it clearer, but never thought of it like that

I agree. If the officer asks "do you know what time it is?" you look at your watch and you say "yes" - and you don't say anything else. Note: you were not asked what the time is, only if you knew what time it is!

Ian

md95065 Jun 12th 2010 6:39 am

Re: May seem like 3 silly questions....But....
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8627348)
If the officer asks "do you know what time it is?" you look at your watch and you say "yes"

... or, equally good, don't look at your watch and say "no" ...

ian-mstm Jun 12th 2010 1:30 pm

Re: May seem like 3 silly questions....But....
 

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 8627853)
... or, equally good, don't look at your watch and say "no" ...

:) Quite right!

Ian


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.