Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Match of the Day - BBC - can I get this in the US?

Match of the Day - BBC - can I get this in the US?

Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

dolega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Match of the Day - BBC - can I get this in the US?

Daft I know... but asides from my family and friends.. I'm going to really miss my Match of the Day when we emigrate to the States in the next couple months. I understand that BBC IPlayer cannot show MotD to those outside the UK (copyright reasons). I don't think BBC America shows MotD.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice
Default Re: Match of the Day - BBC - can I get this in the US?

Have a kind friend or relative set up a slingbox that you can access from the USA.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Get a good UK VPN, check download sites to see if it's there to download, check other streaming sites to see if it's being broadcast. Or you could just get fox soccer channel and watch Sky Sports News.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

pegaso will become famous soon enoughpegaso will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dolega
Daft I know... but asides from my family and friends.. I'm going to really miss my Match of the Day when we emigrate to the States in the next couple months. I understand that BBC IPlayer cannot show MotD to those outside the UK (copyright reasons). I don't think BBC America shows MotD.

Any suggestions?

focusvpn.com - good UK vpn service - about 5 quid a month, used it for about 3 months from CA. The vpn gives you uk presence, then you can 'allegedly' get uk tv sites like itv player and bbc iplayer (caveat - you're supposed to still have a uk tv license to watch these - 'allegedly'). hope this helps?

Cheers!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

i have a solution that doesnt require slingbox or vpn, or even a proxy
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Then post it up!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
i have a solution that doesnt require slingbox or vpn, or even a proxy
Me too.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:51 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We've been talking about a solution over in 'The Lab' for getting all the BBC channels without a proxy or vpn.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628273
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dolega

Any suggestions?
Not so much Match Of The Day but watching UK football in general...

If you get DirectTV (USA version of Sky) you can watch lots of Prem games. On Sat I had the choice of 4 live ones at 3pm UK time:

Setanta USA: Man City v Arsenal
Setanta USA Extra (only on DirectTV): Wigan v WHU
(http://www.setanta.com/us/TV-Listings/)

FSC (Fox Soccer Channel): Stoke v Chelsea
(http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/tvschedule)

ESPN: Lpool v Burnley (in HD)

Then you had Spurs v Man U live on FSC and then the rest of the games were on various delays throughout the evening on FSC and Setanta. I could have watched every Sat prem game (plus the 2 on Sunday as well).

Setanta costs $14.99 a month. You can also get this on Dish Network (another USA version of Sky) but they don't do the Setanta Extra channel. Where I live you can't get Setanta on cable.

FSC and ESPN are available on everything it appears. Prices will vary but if you get a decent package they are usually included.

This is a pretty good site for checking what it is on (doesn't usually list the Setanta Extra games though):

http://www.livesoccertv.com/schedules/

European Cup and UEFA Cup games are available on various channels. Seems to vary (just check the link above).

You get the idea.... Assuming you don't mind spending a bit on getting Satellite TV then you don't have to rely on finding streams for games.

Damn shame my team (Saints) are currently bottom of League One. No bleedin' chance of seeing them at the moment...
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

I've got Setanta too. I prefer it to Fox Soccer Channel because it show's lots of Rugby too.
I guess I need to try and understand all this slingbox business and get that?
It sounds a bit technical for me though.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

UKNova, d/loads in minutes and it's not like watching it live will be all that fun with the time difference anyway...
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
UKNova, d/loads in minutes and it's not like watching it live will be all that fun with the time difference anyway...
Being on Eastern Time it works fine for me. I love getting up on a Sat and having a live game at 10am - and then one at 12.30.

I've done all the stream/download & s-video/HDMI from PC to TV thing and although way better than nothing you can't beat having it showing directly on your TV with a nice clear picture and good sound (games are now in HD on ESPN) - plus knowing that the stream ain't gonna die.

For me it is money well spent.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TimberHut
For me it is money well spent.
Me too! Wife - not so much.
I love watching the games in the morning at the weekend. The only annoying thing is the mid-week Champions League games are on in the afternoon when I'm at work.

Also ESPN games in HD are awesome but it makes it look a bit crap when you switch back to Setanta. Hopefully they will get HD at some point.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by penguinsix
We've been talking about a solution over in 'The Lab' for getting all the BBC channels without a proxy or vpn.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628273
This is phat.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangemirror
The only annoying thing is the mid-week Champions League games are on in the afternoon when I'm at work.
If there's a game I wanna see midweek I just DVR it and watch it when I get home. Stay off the net for a couple of hours and it's easy for me to avoid the score before I get home.

Surely there must be a market for more traditional English club game football over here though? ie A channel that just shows League One games. Every game available on the red button. All for $50 a season (I'd actually pay way more than that but don't tell anyone...).

ie this Sat: Southampton (great British port, home of where the Titanic sailed from) v Yeovil (quaint English country town where the cider is real and tractors go chug-chug) would surely have Americans flocking to their TV's?

Last edited by TimberHut; Sep 15th 2009 at 8:26 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.