Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Marriage Insurance: Wedding next year, currently living in UK but moving before

Marriage Insurance: Wedding next year, currently living in UK but moving before

Old Jul 26th 2018, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage Insurance: Wedding next year, currently living in UK but moving before

Just wondering if anybody here has any experience of a similar situation?

My wife and Fiance recently got married and are in the process of obtaining a CR1 visa. It was a very quick and quiet wedding that few people know about so as to not ruin our 'proper' big day, which is next June in CT. As we have now started the substantial spending it seems is required for a New England wedding, we want to get wedding insurance quite quickly.

I'm trying to avoid having to take out two separate policies - one to be purchased asap in the UK for a wedding abroad (to cover any events that could happen prior to moving), and one as soon as we move, assuming we would no longer be able to claim on the first policy as we no longer reside in the UK, but I am starting to think it might be inevitable in order to avoid doing anything 'shady' (i.e. insurance fraud) in the terrible instance of ever having to make a claim.

I will contact a few insurance companies but unlikely that I will be able to in the next few days, so just wondering if anybody here had been through anything similar and had any anecdotal experience?

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2018, 3:00 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage Insurance: Wedding next year, currently living in UK but moving before

Can you get wedding insurance for a future event given you have already got married? Even if the future event is following the form of a marriage ceremony it could be fraudulent to describe it as a wedding.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Marriage Insurance: Wedding next year, currently living in UK but moving before

Actually - very good point that I had not considered, I assume so but definitely going to look in to this now. Thank you
Old Jul 26th 2018, 3:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samills610
Just wondering if anybody here has any experience of a similar situation?

My wife and Fiance recently got married and are in the process of obtaining a CR1 visa. It was a very quick and quiet wedding that few people know about so as to not ruin our 'proper' big day, which is next June in CT. As we have now started the substantial spending it seems is required for a New England wedding, we want to get wedding insurance quite quickly.
I know that you worded this strangely but mean that you now wife and you married in a hush hush ceremony for the sake of immigration and are planning a more elaborate BLESSINGS ceremony in the future when you have your CR-1 visa and are in the US. You will not be having an actual wedding but merely a renewal of vows and a big party afterwards. And no, substantial spending is not required in the US or in the area known as New England for an expensive and elaborate wedding reception. It all depends on the bride and the bride's family and what they want to spend and how much they want to impress friends, family and sundry.

This question has been asked before and private "marriage insurance" provided by an insurance company is not a well known commodity in the US. You might want to consult with the venue your wife's family or you and she (don't know who is paying for the elaborate wedding) are using for your wedding reception to see if they have a plan available for a partial refund of monies put down as a retainer in case the reception does not take place.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
This question has been asked before and private "marriage insurance" provided by an insurance company is not a well known commodity in the US. You might want to consult with the venue your wife's family or you and she (don't know who is paying for the elaborate wedding) are using for your wedding reception to see if they have a plan available for a partial refund of monies put down as a retainer in case the reception does not take place.
Is it not? It is quite a growing business in the UK now and not a single couple I know who has married recently has failed to take some for of insurance out. The costs are spread across a multitude of vendors hence often the need for a single point of insurance that accounts for the impacts across multiple vendors if one of them fails to deliver. Looks like I need to research whether or not it even exists in the USA, as well as if it is applicable even though it is technically not a legal wedding ceremony, and then finally the issue of the residency change ahead of the wedding.

Thanks for the comments, always appreciate the opinions and thoughts of others as it can be difficult approaching cross-boarder issues such as this
Old Jul 26th 2018, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

And no, substantial spending is not required in the US or in the area known as New England for an expensive and elaborate wedding reception. It all depends on the bride and the bride's family and what they want to spend and how much they want to impress friends, family and sundry..
I would argue it is from what I have seen so far - the options one can choose when deciding the lavishness of their wedding are arguably the same when choosing where to get married. I currently live in London and my family are from much further north in the UK, and the same like-for-like weddings seem to be much more expensive in CT where we will marry (/have our ceremony) than both of these areas. It is that which made me comment on the expense of a New England wedding.

Don't get me started on the relative short lengths of a USA wedding. I'm still coming to terms that I will be paying so much for such a short space of time! But that conversation/rant is for a different day....
Old Jul 26th 2018, 3:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Arguably, the area of the country will have a lot to do with the expense of the wedding. Connecticut is a very expensive state. Most do not consider it New England but rather a bedroom community of New York City at least up to the Fairfield County area of Connecticut. Yes, you can have an extremely expensive wedding in the tri-state area. My niece's wedding was over $50,000 for 150 guests with a church wedding, open bar cocktail hour with 5 carving stations, and then a 4 course sit down dinner with a band, dancing, flowers, photographer, etc. Then again, in the tri-state area you will find that your guests will be giving you envelopes containing money. Usually monetary gift is $200 per couple so many couples will opt for a more lavish reception based on the fact that they will be pulling in money to fund the cost of the reception My wedding on the Vermont border was 44 guests, open bar, sit down dinner of 4 courses, a dj, dancing, photographer and flowers all for a cost of $1700. That area of New England does not give money but rather physical gifts at the wedding. As for the relative short length of a US wedding, I'm assuming, without checking back to your prior posts, that you are from a culture that requires a marriage ceremony and reception typical of that culture and then another one in the US or UK styles. Then, again, I could be wrong about interpreting what you meant by that sentence.

As for marriage insurance being a growing business in the UK, you are not having your renewal ceremony in the UK but in the US. Different country. Again, I reiterate that you might want to check with the venue and see what their policy is on refunding down payment money as well as check with private insurance companies for a wedding reception policy.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 26th 2018 at 3:59 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:00 pm
Concierge

PS To show that I am one that will call my own self out when wrong, I found this with a simple google search and either you or your wife might have found as easily.

https://www.specialeventinsurance.co...BoCgWMQAvD_BwE

It is call in this case event insurance.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Most do not consider it New England but rather a bedroom community of New York City at least up to the Fairfield County area of Connecticut.
Is that right? In that case I need to learn some of these nuances. We're getting slightly further east in new England county, and her family are around Hartford.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:05 pm
Concierge

Definitely not New England area. Hartford is a large city and just on the fringes of what is considered the tri-state area. I lived for 68 years just outside of Manhattan and have numerous friends and family living in and around that area of Connecticut and once worked in Stamford for several years. The tri-state area is New York, New Jersey, Connecticut.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 26th 2018 at 5:51 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

PS To show that I am one that will call my own self out when wrong, I found this with a simple google search and either you or your wife might have found as easily.

https://www.specialeventinsurance.co...BoCgWMQAvD_BwE

It is call in this case event insurance.
That seems to be liability insurance which I presume isn't what the OP is looking for.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That seems to be liability insurance which I presume isn't what the OP is looking for.
Might not be a bad idea if you're hosting!

Anyway, earlier link leads to this: https://www.wedsure.com/wedding-event-insurance.jsp
(but check the wedding/renewal of vows distinction)

Never heard of it in the UK when we got married 11 years ago. Yet another cost. I'd look very closely at the Ts&Cs though - some insurance is worth less than the paper it's written on should you need to make a claim.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 5:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Cancellation of the event is part of the policy. Other than that and liability, what would you insure against?
Old Jul 26th 2018, 7:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samills610
I would argue it is from what I have seen so far - the options one can choose when deciding the lavishness of their wedding are arguably the same when choosing where to get married. ....
There's the relevant word -- choice! You can get married as inexpensively or as expensively as you want in CT, as you can anywhere else. It is your choice how much you want to spend.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 7:06 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
There's the relevant word -- choice! You can get married as inexpensively or as expensively as you want in CT, as you can anywhere else. It is your choice how much you want to spend.
When we got married in 1976, the major expense was a round of drinks in The Flask, in Hampstead. And at the time, I don't remember anyone else I knew spending money on a wedding. Big weddings seem to be much more of a thing now, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.