Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Mahalo, wahines and kanes.

Mahalo, wahines and kanes.

Old Jun 7th 2018, 5:17 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mahalo, wahines and kanes.

I'm heading to the Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale.
Anything that's a must see while we're there?
Old Jun 11th 2018, 5:29 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mahalo, wahines and kanes.

Well, the Mai Kai was good. Rented a boat and went snorkeling.
Had a Mustang convertible. Nice pootling around.

But... HOLY SHIT. How do people live in Florida and not got go mad?
I have seen some really bad driving in California, but this was just off the charts dumb.
Florida has a reputation for stupid and weird people (Fark used to have a Florida tag), but this was insane.
Must be a combination of old people, tourists, teenagers?

1. The left lane if for passing. Stay the **** out of it. Don't cruise at 58mph. Every other car does this.
2. Probably because of 1; tailgating. Little of globs of cars, feet from other each other at 80mph+.
3. Drive fast in the rain with zero visibility. Sheer idiocy.

Glad to be home in Colorado. Unfortunately all the Californians and North Eastern folk are fleeing the disasters their states have become because of the idiots they voted in and their policies; and now they're doing the same thing here.
Dear Founding Fathers: The United States - it was great while it lasted. Sorry we screwed it up. This is why we can't have nice things.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Well, the Mai Kai was good. Rented a boat and went snorkeling.
Had a Mustang convertible. Nice pootling around.

But... HOLY SHIT. How do people live in Florida and not got go mad?
I have seen some really bad driving in California, but this was just off the charts dumb.
Florida has a reputation for stupid and weird people (Fark used to have a Florida tag), but this was insane.
Must be a combination of old people, tourists, teenagers?

1. The left lane if for passing. Stay the **** out of it. Don't cruise at 58mph. Every other car does this.
2. Probably because of 1; tailgating. Little of globs of cars, feet from other each other at 80mph+.
3. Drive fast in the rain with zero visibility. Sheer idiocy.

Glad to be home in Colorado. Unfortunately all the Californians and North Eastern folk are fleeing the disasters their states have become because of the idiots they voted in and their policies; and now they're doing the same thing here.
Dear Founding Fathers: The United States - it was great while it lasted. Sorry we screwed it up. This is why we can't have nice things.
It's all the bloody incomers driving in the fashion according to their State, so we get crawlers from Ohio, tailgating nutters from New York City/New Jersey, middle lane hogs from the Carolinas, hazard flashing in the rain numpties from Tennessee. Then we give them all licences at the age of ninety and try to emulate their driving styles because our own State doesn't believe in training our youngsters to drive so they have no idea what works...

Interesting fact: the State of Florida has half the population size of the UK but three times the number of fatal driving incidents!
Old Jun 13th 2018, 2:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
It's all the bloody incomers driving in the fashion according to their State, so we get crawlers from Ohio, tailgating nutters from New York City/New Jersey, middle lane hogs from the Carolinas, hazard flashing in the rain numpties from Tennessee. Then we give them all licences at the age of ninety and try to emulate their driving styles because our own State doesn't believe in training our youngsters to drive so they have no idea what works...

Interesting fact: the State of Florida has half the population size of the UK but three times the number of fatal driving incidents!
My sister didn't learn to drive in the UK. She moved to Greece when she was 21 and immediately started driving in Athens and then the crap roads of central Corfu with no licence. She moved to Florida for a year (donkey's ago, not sure how) and took her 10 minute driving test and passed (does anyone fail?). Moved back to Greece and swapped her licence for a Greek one. Moved back to the UK and swapped her Greek licence to a UK one. She's the scariest bloody driver I have ever had the misfortune to sit in a car with.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 2:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My sister didn't learn to drive in the UK. She moved to Greece when she was 21 and immediately started driving in Athens and then the crap roads of central Corfu with no licence. She moved to Florida for a year (donkey's ago, not sure how) and took her 10 minute driving test and passed (does anyone fail?). Moved back to Greece and swapped her licence for a Greek one. Moved back to the UK and swapped her Greek licence to a UK one. She's the scariest bloody driver I have ever had the misfortune to sit in a car with.
I feel the same about driving with my Can/Am husband. Don't care that he drove in Germany for 16 years while in the military, 20 years down in the states and the rest of his adult life in Canada. He is a suckie driver and I should be wearing diapers when I am in the passenger seat.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 4:48 pm
Peace onion

LOL - the "flashers". Saw several, crawling along. Why do they do that?
It's so bad that the highway signs really say something like "In the rain, turn off your hazard lights and put your lights on".
Old Jun 13th 2018, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
LOL - the "flashers". Saw several, crawling along. Why do they do that?
It's so bad that the highway signs really say something like "In the rain, turn off your hazard lights and put your lights on".
Go to the interstates crossing mounain passes in the Carolinas, Tennessee etc and the semis put their flashers on as soon as they hit a hill, I think flashing in the rain probably started with lorry drivers, I bet most of them own a dirty old man's mac' too...

Not many seem to know that it's the law in FL to put your lights on when it rains and against the law to use your hazards when moving.