Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Made it to Rochester: Experiences of a new immigrant

Made it to Rochester: Experiences of a new immigrant

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Made it to Rochester: Experiences of a new immigrant

Hi all,

Due to limited net access I haven't been able to update you until now.

I arrived with missus and son at the POE in Philadelphia after a smooth flight. The CBP office was mainly professional and I got processed quickly then continued on to Rochester New York. This past week I have managed to open a bank account without an SSN as it hasn't arrived yet but have found it difficult to apply for jobs as they require one as does the DMV apparently to issue a permit/state ID. I hope it arrives soon.

Am enjoying the experience otherwise although hope to move out of the ropey area missus's grandmother lives in once I get work. Pre K has been sorted fairly quickly for the 5 Year-old and we have applied for charter schools and are waiting to hear back. People like my accent and seem more chatty than in the UK.

Arrived on the 26th March so just waiting the 10 days before I go to the DSS office to ask them to look up the SSN.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Made it to Rochester: Experiences of a new immigrant

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Hi all,

Due to limited net access I haven't been able to update you until now.

I arrived with missus and son at the POE in Philadelphia after a smooth flight. The CBP office was mainly professional and I got processed quickly then continued on to Rochester New York. This past week I have managed to open a bank account without an SSN as it hasn't arrived yet but have found it difficult to apply for jobs as they require one as does the DMV apparently to issue a permit/state ID. I hope it arrives soon.

Am enjoying the experience otherwise although hope to move out of the ropey area missus's grandmother lives in once I get work. Pre K has been sorted fairly quickly for the 5 Year-old and we have applied for charter schools and are waiting to hear back. People like my accent and seem more chatty than in the UK.

Arrived on the 26th March so just waiting the 10 days before I go to the DSS office to ask them to look up the SSN.
A social security number is not required for a job since your I-551 stamp in your passport should be proof. The employer's payroll system should have a way of paying you but not the IRS until you provide a SSN (often 000-000-XXXX is used by a payroll system). I suspect it is more about that employers don't know the law and think that a SSN is required.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

amyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant futureamyjo has a brilliant future

No words of wisdom, Hoffage but just want to welcome you to the US! I have been wondering when "we" would hear from you. Glad your entry was uneventful, and that you are settling in. Hope the weather has been tolerable - it's been a tough winter in upstate NY this year. My daughter and her husband head over to the US in just 3 weeks! It certainly has gone quickly (well, once the worrying was over!). Wishing you all the best!
Amy
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Michael and Amyjo.

Re: The DMV - the lady said that unless I had an SSN they wouldn't issue me a State ID, even a non-drivers one. Annoying.

Re: Medical care - Missus and son tried enrolling got all the way to the end but then it asked for proof of 5 year old son's income! Aargh.

At least the snow has melted now - had my first experience of snow shovelling on Sunday - apparently I am doing it all wrong lol (wife's Grandmother says).

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 6:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
A social security number is not required for a job since your I-551 stamp in your passport should be proof. The employer's payroll system should have a way of paying you but not the IRS until you provide a SSN (often 000-000-XXXX is used by a payroll system). I suspect it is more about that employers don't know the law and think that a SSN is required.
+1

I was paid without incident even though I did not have a SSN when I initially moved to the US. My employer was also my L-1A sponsor, so they were already geared up to pay me without a SSN, I'm not sure my experience would be so 'easy' if I had moved here as a new immigrant without an employer / SSN etc.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
+1

I was paid without incident even though I did not have a SSN when I initially moved to the US. My employer was also my L-1A sponsor, so they were already geared up to pay me without a SSN, I'm not sure my experience would be so 'easy' if I had moved here as a new immigrant without an employer / SSN etc.
+2

I was a "local hire" who had a job waiting in New York when I arrived, but although I had no SSN it didn't stop me starting work. .... Though my employer at that time was a major international corporation which was used to bringing people from overseas.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

People seem more chatty, but the conversation is only surface deep.

Anyway welcome to the US
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I get the local news from Rochester here, we have the Rochester Fox affiliate on cable. Looks like a lovely place.

FYI, the sneakers over the power cables mean they sell drugs in that house.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and clearly another very important point - http://www.englishporkpiecompany.com in Buffalo, plus bear in mind in Canada they sell British stuff like HP, McVitie's, real Cadbury's, etc. What you're looking for is the "Real Canadian Superstore" (aka Loblaw's) in St Catherines.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

merrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond repute

Try a garbage plate sometime. http://americanfood.about.com/od/ext...a/garplate.htm
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

You can go down to your local SS office and they can give you the number there and then. The SSN card will come in the mail soon enough.

And welcome to the US! Another lamb to the slaughter lol
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:35 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
People seem more chatty, but the conversation is only surface deep.
That's Georgia, civilservant. I can tell you from personal experience that there are just parts of the US where that is normal and you happen to be in one.

Context matters, too. My husband and I talked yesterday with a young immigrant whose brother, a London resident, says that he dislikes Houston because the people here "aren't as friendly". My husband laughed in astonishment. Turns out the brother, himself a young man, was mostly talking about the club and rave scene and how easy it was to pick up girls

Edited because I remember my mother complaining about how unfriendly Rochester was when we lived there briefly when I was small. Of course that's obsolete information from a woman struggling with three small kids in a new place.

Last edited by Speedwell; Apr 7th 2014 at 6:39 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Speedwell
That's Georgia, civilservant. I can tell you from personal experience that there are just parts of the US where that is normal and you happen to be in one.

Context matters, too. My husband and I talked yesterday with a young immigrant whose brother, a London resident, says that he dislikes Houston because the people here "aren't as friendly". My husband laughed in astonishment. Turns out the brother, himself a young man, was mostly talking about the club and rave scene and how easy it was to pick up girls

Edited because I remember my mother complaining about how unfriendly Rochester was when we lived there briefly when I was small. Of course that's obsolete information from a woman struggling with three small kids in a new place.
So far, the majority of people I have spoke to have been quite friendly - I've been offered two lifts from friendly strangers concerned I may have to walk 10-20 minutes down the road (I do walk a lot and although the roads are set up for driving here, I have found a few walking routes) and there is a lot more use of manners than where I lived in the UK (people getting up for others on the bus, saying please, thank you and you are welcome) - the area that I live in at the moment is very rough and there is a bit of bad language there which I don't like, but basically as long as you avoid eye contact all is good on that front, and I grew up in an inner-city environment so it isn't too much of a shock.

I am looking forward to getting a car though

Hoffage
Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:50 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merrodri
Haha, extremely "local" dishes found nowhere else--I love these!

Mind you I would NOT order nor eat a garbage plate, or any of the other strange local food 'inventions' I've found here in the northeast. But some are interesting. Philly cheesesteak, Rhode Island's coffee milk, MA's stuffies (stuffed quahogs), NYC's egg cream....
Old May 5th 2014, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Haha, extremely "local" dishes found nowhere else--I love these!

Mind you I would NOT order nor eat a garbage plate, or any of the other strange local food 'inventions' I've found here in the northeast. But some are interesting. Philly cheesesteak, Rhode Island's coffee milk, MA's stuffies (stuffed quahogs), NYC's egg cream....

UPDATE:

I haven't tried a garbage plate yet, but there is a first time for everything lol ...

Most of my time has been spent sorting out getting my 5 year old into the full day pre-K and also a decent school for August, sorting out bank accounts, filling in mounds of paperwork.

I haven't felt too homesick yet - but that is because I am keeping very busy. I helped out at a local food pantry the other day and am trying some volunteering. I have had one or two job interviews but no luck yet - hoping to get work soon so I can get proper healthcare coverage/pay for food etc. Family-in-law doing my head in at times.

Sometimes I think whether I should have waited and saved up more before moving but hindsight is 20/20, innit. Things are getting better, my missus has work now and I have some work but it is part-time work at home low-pay, but it is better than nothing. Still waiting to have the immigrant success story, but will update you all when in a more stable situation.

Hoffage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.