Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Look out Seattle, Here We Come!

Wikiposts

Look out Seattle, Here We Come!

Old Nov 18th 2012, 6:11 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look out Seattle, Here We Come!

Originally Posted by lansbury
I was thinking more about when you get here. Not sure if Washington is similar to Oregon but unless I leave Portland and stick to the local lower elevations, just about all other routes reach the snow level. If you don't have snow tires it is compulsory to carry chains on the vehicle in case they are needed.

I got the ones made for idiots that are easy to put on in about 2 or 3 minutes. Only takes me about 4 attempts and about 30 minutes.
Oh see I was right first time.

In Seattle I have only used them a couple of time, and those on days when work would have been happy for me to stay at home. Seattle only gets snow once every couple of years.

I have never had to use them going to the top of the Cascade passes, even on snowy snowshoe day trips, the traffic clears the road well most of the time, although it is very wise to carry them.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats and I hope the move goes well!
Old Nov 18th 2012, 6:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, that's cracking news!

Good luck with the move
Old Nov 18th 2012, 6:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
With a 2012 average of 43,000+, they would be sixth after Man U, Arsenal, Newcastle, Man C and Liverpool based on the current Premier League season (12/13) thus far. Ahead of Sunderland, Chelsea, Everton and Spurs.
Whilst the New England Revs are lucky to get out of three digits
Old Nov 18th 2012, 8:25 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

I have never had to use them going to the top of the Cascade passes, even on snowy snowshoe day trips, the traffic clears the road well most of the time, although it is very wise to carry them.
That I think is the difference, even I-84 can be covered in snow about 40 miles outside Portland and that is the main route east. While it is wise to carry snow chains, carrying is required by law in Oregon, and State Troops have been known to do checks and issue tickets.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 9:44 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Whilst the New England Revs are lucky to get out of three digits
That's a shame, but in Boston, football (soccer) is up against:

The Red Sox
The Patriots
The Bruins
The Celtics

Tough to find a place for a 5th mainstream sport.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
That's a shame, but in Boston, football (soccer) is up against:

The Red Sox
The Patriots
The Bruins
The Celtics

Tough to find a place for a 5th mainstream sport.
Aye, but the big difference is, you can get free parking to watch the Revs and front row tickets cost $20....when the other teams, about $100-260 just for shit seats with a uninterrupted view and double that for parking...

Well I suppose at least with everything but the Pats, you can park else where and take the T in to save on parking.

It is a shame, because the college sports leave it for dust...and it's actually a half popular sport in this state. There's loads of semi pro or lower division teams in and around Boston and the youth stuff.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Lansbury (or anyone else that lives out that way), you're the only person I 'know' that lives in Oregon. If we took the southern route, and came up through CA, through OR and on to Seattle via I-5, would we likely need snow chains for that route? I have no idea what the topography of that area is, and if we'll be heading through snowy mountain passes.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Hey Lansbury (or anyone else that lives out that way), you're the only person I 'know' that lives in Oregon. If we took the southern route, and came up through CA, through OR and on to Seattle via I-5, would we likely need snow chains for that route? I have no idea what the topography of that area is, and if we'll be heading through snowy mountain passes.
Maybe and maybe not.... You could hit snow in the Siskyous (sorry to chime in, but I've driven that route more times than I'd ever care to admit and one particular time was in the winter and it was a bit dodgy as to if we were going to need chains!) But, if you knew there was bad weather, you could always cross over to 101 and drive up the coast!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:10 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

As AmerLisa says over the Siskyous you might, and will hit the requirement to carry chains, which is already in place.

If you go here you can see the road conditions for the Siskyou Pass.

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap...ns&curRegion=7

Scroll down and click on the cameras and you can see real time the road conditions. Scroll further down to "Incidents and Weather" and you can see the carry chains requirements, and road surface conditions. Once you get over the Siskyou Pass you've faced the worst of I-5 and should be relatively OK. Eugene onwards to Seattle it has got to be really very bad for that to be a problem.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

If you end up having to come I-84 or I-80 and run into troubles, we're near SLC.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:40 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

What great news, congratulations. Hope you are very happy in your new location
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I am tickled for you!!!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

So, as I've mentioned in other posts on here, the OH and I have been actively planning on moving out to the west coast, either Portland or Seattle. Well, he had a final interview with a company in Seattle yesterday, and they offered him the job! We are having trouble believing this is really happening! The only bad thing is, is that we will likely miss Christmas here at home with my family as we'll have to leave before then in order to get out there for a 1st of the year start date.

Also getting really scared about traveling across the country in the middle of winter, and going through/over mountains. We do not want to become the next survivor story of people stuck in a snow drift for 4 days and surviving off of cereal bars and melted snow.

Yay! Seattle here we come!
Fantastic news!

You should be able to drive across the southern route and then up I5 ... it's rather gorgeous here in Arizona at the moment! You may hit a bit of weather as you enter Oregon, but I think you'll make it!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Maybe and maybe not.... You could hit snow in the Siskyous (sorry to chime in, but I've driven that route more times than I'd ever care to admit and one particular time was in the winter and it was a bit dodgy as to if we were going to need chains!) But, if you knew there was bad weather, you could always cross over to 101 and drive up the coast!
That would work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.