British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   The lonely American (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/lonely-american-903961/)

mrken30 Sep 28th 2017 9:23 pm

The lonely American

This might be interesting for those of you that work from home.

https://hbr.org/2017/09/what-do-we-k...ness-and-work#

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 28th 2017 11:52 pm

Re: The lonely American

I dont work from home, but work is pretty lonely most days. I am away from home 14 or so hours and my wife is not up at 1am when I get home so not much in terms of human interaction.

dc koop Sep 29th 2017 12:26 am

It' not hard to feel isolated when everyone around you is stuck in their iPhones and you're not

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 29th 2017 1:59 am

Or speaking different languages or when most of the co workers are half your age and have no interest in talking to the oldies.

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12349508)
It' not hard to feel isolated when everyone around you is stuck in their iPhones and you're not

dc koop Sep 29th 2017 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12349528)
Or speaking different languages or when most of the co workers are half your age and have no interest in talking to the oldies.

Bit like out current home situation. I pick up the three granddaughters from school, we talk in the car on the way to my house then they get lost in their iphones until mom picks them up. I know they all love us but snap chat with friends takes priority. We oldies are out of it.

BenK91 Sep 29th 2017 5:27 am

I work from home 2-3 days a week.

I find I’m much more productive at home, more relaxed (some Americans definitely love the sound of their own voice with how loud they speak) so that’s definitely another plus to not being in the office.

As far as feeling lonely goes i’d consider myself a bit introverted anyway and the small talk in the office is real dull so I don’t feel like I’m missing out at all/feel any loneliness.

Not to mention my boss is based in Boston, and the other guy in my team is based in Alabama so it doesn’t really matter whether I’m in the office here in Denver! Thankful for Skype for Business/Slack! :lol:

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 29th 2017 5:54 am

Some of the kids I work with have 2 phones. Its all about snap chat, twitter, instagram.

Not used to being old one in a work group.

Getting old sucks. Lol

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12349586)
Bit like out current home situation. I pick up the three granddaughters from school, we talk in the car on the way to my house then they get lost in their iphones until mom picks them up. I know they all love us but snap chat with friends takes priority. We oldies are out of it.

SultanOfSwing Sep 29th 2017 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12349508)

I used to have my face stuck in a book as soon as I sat on the train the way home from work, at lunch or on breaks at work, or even sitting in the park having a fag on the way home from work. How's being on the phone any different, really?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12349599)
Getting old sucks. Lol

Hey, watch it. Getting older, yes, we all are, but you and I are the same age. We're barely middle-aged yet, FFS :p

dc koop Sep 30th 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12350075)
. How's being on the phone any different, really?

:p

It's different because everyone else has someone to talk to and I don't :(

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 1st 2017 12:11 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12350075)
I used to have my face stuck in a book as soon as I sat on the train the way home from work, at lunch or on breaks at work, or even sitting in the park having a fag on the way home from work. How's being on the phone any different, really?

Hey, watch it. Getting older, yes, we all are, but you and I are the same age. We're barely middle-aged yet, FFS :p

Guess I just feel old being around youngsters all day...lol

SultanOfSwing Oct 2nd 2017 4:40 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12350629)
It's different because everyone else has someone to talk to and I don't :(

You always have yourself :nod:

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12350696)
Guess I just feel old being around youngsters all day...lol

I'm in the upper-middle age wise in our office at work. Of the ones who are younger than me, only a couple are in their 20s, the rest are early-mid 30s. I guess I'm lucky.

dc koop Oct 2nd 2017 5:01 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12351375)
You always have yourself :nod:

Which is true. Nothing like having an intelligent conversation with another of equal intelligence

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 2nd 2017 1:04 pm

I go down the brew pub, not so much in the summer but can get bleak in the winter.

I have friends who when they have visiting teenagers confiscate all phones as a matter of course. Mind you reception is crap where they are.

dc koop Oct 2nd 2017 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12351670)

I have friends who when they have visiting teenagers confiscate all phones as a matter of course. .

A sure way to risk losing life and limb

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 2nd 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12351988)
A sure way to risk losing life and limb

Nah

You would need to meet him.