Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick Question

Wikiposts

London Gatwick Question

Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Question London Gatwick Question

Hi all,

I thought you might be the best ones to weigh in on my question!

I'm completely unfamiliar with London Gatwick and am hoping you can help. I have an opportunity to fly into Gatwick at a low rate, followed by a direct flight to mainland Europe 2 hours later.

Here are the details:
Arrive London Gatwick (from US) at 7:10am on Delta
Depart at 9:10am on British Airways

I'm not worried about making the return, because if this works we'd spend a couple of days in London before going home.

Given that we'd need to go through customs and possibly security again, do you think this is feasible or is it entirely too tight?

Thanks in advance!
Kaffy
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Gatwick Question

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hi all,

I'm completely unfamiliar with London Gatwick and am hoping you can help. I have an opportunity to fly into Gatwick at a low rate, followed by a direct flight to mainland Europe 2 hours later.

Here are the details:

I'm not worried about making the return, because if this works we'd spend a couple of days in London before going home.

Given that we'd need to go through customs and possibly security again, do you think this is feasible or is it entirely too tight?

Thanks in advance!
Kaffy
Separate PNRs? (Assume so). Wouldn't chance it.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Here are the details:

Thanks in advance!
Kaffy
My gut feeling is that it is NOT too tight. But I'm used to tight schedules and occasionally running for flights
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Separate PNRs? (Assume so). Wouldn't chance it.
Sorry, what is a PNR?

Both Delta and British Airways are in the North Terminal, but don't know if that helps us.

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Mar 29th 2011 at 12:38 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, what is a PNR?

Both Delta and British Airways are in the North Terminal, but don't know if that helps us.
Passenger Name Record - basically I'm asking whether this is two separate bookings or one through booking.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
My gut feeling is that it is NOT too tight. But I'm used to tight schedules and occasionally running for flights
Running for flights is one thing - done that loads with tight connections on through bookings. Having separate bookings though means queuing for immigration, collecting luggage, going to departures, queuing to check luggage again and then going through security - all with no safety net of a through booking. Miss that and you're paying for a highly expensive new same-day ticket to your European destination. Two hours after the scheduled arrival time on a long-haul flight? You'd have to be mad.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Running for flights is one thing - done that loads with tight connections on through bookings. Having separate bookings though means queuing for immigration, collecting luggage, going to departures, queuing to check luggage again and then going through security - all with no safety net of a through booking. Miss that and you're paying for a highly expensive new same-day ticket to your European destination. Two hours after the scheduled arrival time on a long-haul flight? You'd have to be mad.
What if we were to carry on our bags? Do you think that could make the difference? You are correct, it's not a through booking.

I share your concern about timing. I'm seeing "minimum connection times" for an international to domestic flight listed at 45 minutes for Gatwick. I don't believe that.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I share your concern about timing. I'm seeing "minimum connection times" for an international to domestic flight listed at 45 minutes for Gatwick. I don't believe that.
Making it through the immigrations queue for non-EU citizens could take a while. You won't have that problem on departure, so.... it would might be *more* doable to have your two days in London first.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:53 pm
Septic Sprout

What if we were to carry on our bags? Do you think that could make the difference? You are correct, it's not a through booking.

Carry on would mean not having to stand by a conveyor belt for a while, and you could see if you are able to check in online for the onward flight - this would shave some minutes off. In reality though the second flight could board T-30 minutes or earlier so you have maybe 80-90 minutes to play with. It's not just about how likely you are to make it but whether you're ready to pay the price if you don't.

Try searching for the cost of a flight LGW - destination tomorrow and see how much a ticket could be at short notice. Also look at the Delta flight on Flightstats to get a feel for on-time performance. Both of these things though are at best flimsy indicators though as these things can change.

Oh, and that 45-minute thing assumes through ticketing - big difference.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Passenger Name Record - basically I'm asking whether this is two separate bookings or one through booking.

- all with no safety net of a through booking. Miss that and you're paying for a highly expensive new same-day ticket to your European destination.
- the safety net being that if you missed your connection via London on a through booking, you'd be re-scheduled (for free or low cost) onto the next flight?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm seeing "minimum connection times" for an international to domestic flight listed at 45 minutes for Gatwick. I don't believe that.
Yes - I read that as "less than 45 minutes is impossible" not "45 minutes is OK".

Also you aren't really "connecting" if you have flights on two separate airlines that don't have any code sharing or partnership agreement - you are "arriving" (ie collect bags & go through customs and immigration) and then checking in at the other airline (who probably want you there at least an hour before departure) and going through security etc.

If you were really "connecting" and could stay airside and have your bags checked through to your final destination I would say that 2 hours was OK, but what you are trying to do sounds a bit tight ...
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:00 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by snowbunny
- the safety net being that if you missed your connection via London on a through booking, you'd be re-scheduled (for free or low cost) onto the next flight?
Yes - maybe the next flight - maybe later in the day - but the airline's contracted to get you to your final destination.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by md95065
If you were really "connecting" and could stay airside and have your bags checked through to your final destination I would say that 2 hours was OK, but what you are trying to do sounds a bit tight ...
Yes, I'd be 100% comfortable if it was 3 hours, but it's not. This may be a dealbreaker. Checking flightstats now, good rec, Tonrob.

Supposedly 88% on time.

I do have preferred status on Delta, but all that means is that I could put us in the first half of the plane.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The other down side is, if you do miss the flight, your in Gatwick...it's kind of a grot bag of an airport...
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe I just need to talk the fam into a little UK time on either end.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:18 pm
Septic Sprout

Yes, I'd be 100% comfortable if it was 3 hours, but it's not. This may be a dealbreaker. Checking flightstats now, good rec, Tonrob.

Supposedly 88% on time.

I do have preferred status on Delta, but all that means is that I could put us in the first half of the plane.
Fine if the first half of the plane arrives half an hour before the rest of it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.