British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Local Politics (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/local-politics-891720/)

Duncan Roberts Feb 16th 2017 10:39 pm

Local Politics

A couple of weeks ago I filed a nominating petition to run for a position on city council so now I have to get my campaign running. I believe that there are a few people here who have done similar things in the past. If you're willing, I'd love to get some insight into how you ran your campaign, what worked, what didn't and that sort of thing. I

thinbrit Feb 18th 2017 10:45 pm

Re: Local Politics

Been there, done that, got the scars. In general it is a thankless task.

If you insist on this masochism then one tip is to do an Open Records request for a list of everyone that voted in the past 3 elections. You will typically get a spreadsheet. Direct mail them your manifesto, include an email address and phone number they can reach out to you at. Target communities based on their pain points by speaking directly to those issues in your mailings.

Unless you are well known in your community, your may need to enlist the help of a fellow council member. I teamed up with a couple of long standing council members and they basically got one of my signs at every one of there locations. You'll also gain from their good standing (presuming you pick the right 'side').

Duncan Roberts Feb 19th 2017 10:40 pm

Fair enough. It's non-partisan so theoretically there are no sides, although that is probably more on paper than reality. I also know the mayor and council president, the other two current council members are not running.

lansbury Feb 19th 2017 10:55 pm

Depending on the type of community you live in, mine is a fair % of millennials then Facebook, Twitter and a web site. The older community still seem to prefer the printed mail shot, and candidate forums.

Local paper call and see if they will do an article on you. Our community TV station always offers candidates the chance to record a 2 or 3 minute community service message. If yours doesn't suggest it to them. Script your presentation and have them put it on a teleprompter for you.

Neighborhood meetings and generally get out and about and getting your face known.

Bob Feb 20th 2017 8:26 pm

No advice, but good luck!

mrken30 Feb 23rd 2017 12:16 am

Have you got any opposition. Quite often the seats here run unopposed. Sometimes it's luck in picking the right position. Position 3 runs unopposed more often the position 1.

Duncan Roberts Feb 23rd 2017 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12187296)
Have you got any opposition. Quite often the seats here run unopposed. Sometimes it's luck in picking the right position. Position 3 runs unopposed more often the position 1.

Three seats, one incumbent (the other two current members are not running again) and a total of 9 candidates, including the old mayor.

thinbrit Feb 23rd 2017 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 12184203)
It's non-partisan so theoretically there are no sides.

That is highly unlikely, but I hope so for your sake.