List what you MISS

Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List what you MISS

Originally Posted by nohinsara
I'm feeling particularly homesick today. Anyone want to join me?

Here's my short list:

- The Food: I miss Battenberg cake, M&S Cheese & Onion sandwiches Salt & Vinegar Hoola Hoops, Fanta and Lucozade
- The Tube: Believe it or not I miss the convenience of it. The transit system here is crap
- The Tele: I miss Eastenders
- The Local: I miss the pub mentality
- Texting: I miss the fact that everyone had a mobile and everyone used text. Here in Vancouver it's still not caught on as much. When I try to get people to do it there stare at me blankly and say "Why would I do that when I can just call you?"

That's all for now, but I'm reserving the right to add more later!
Haven't had a chance to look in here for a while.

Good thread. It brought on a bout of homesickness

I am missing my little house in the UK, the simplicity of it - it was easy to clean! I didn't used to have 97 m2 of tiles to vacumn and mop!!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Long woodland/river/canalside walks with my dogs (off leash)

Cosy old pubs in Winter.

Pubs with beer gardens in Summer.

Being chilly and throwing on a cuddly fleece or jumper.

Wearing socks.

Wearing my hair down.

Snuggling under a doona with my better half and not worrying about sticking together

Smart school uniforms (and Marks and Spencer 'non-iron' range)

Driving past my old haunts and reminiscing.

Having people pop in.

Recognizing people whilst out and about (when newly arrived)

Country lanes.

Damp, grey days/ not knowing what the weathers going to be like before I throw open the curtains.

Old stuff, ruins, history I feel connected to, little glimpses of days gone by.

Distances in miles/ weight in stones and pounds.

The sound of loose English coins.

High Street shopping and market days.

A radiator to hang my towel on in the bathroom.

A hot water tank in my airing cuboard.

Walking to the shops.....well walking in general really.

Newspapers that are a good read.

Oh and Twiglets

Sorry......had a bad day and can't sleep ( feel but am due to caffeine overload)

Jan
DOONA!!! It's called a continental quilt love!!!!

You must be a bit of an Ozzie now!

JO
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice

I am not really home sick and am enjoying life here but I do miss certain things :
the sound and smell of an open fire, (In a fireplace)
sparrows,
The sound of the letterbox,
Christmas, .....I really miss Christmas,
Dark cold winter nights,
Boots (the chemist),
Squirrels
Centre Parcs

Enough..... maybe I am more home sick than I thought !!!!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

PaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nicePaperPenguin is just really nice

Family
Friends
The sound of church bells ringing
The sound of birds singing
Seeing the new lambs (at this time of year)
The countryside

Originally Posted by nohinsara
I'm feeling particularly homesick today. Anyone want to join me?

Here's my short list:

- The Food: I miss Battenberg cake, M&S Cheese & Onion sandwiches Salt & Vinegar Hoola Hoops, Fanta and Lucozade
- The Tube: Believe it or not I miss the convenience of it. The transit system here is crap
- The Tele: I miss Eastenders
- The Local: I miss the pub mentality
- Texting: I miss the fact that everyone had a mobile and everyone used text. Here in Vancouver it's still not caught on as much. When I try to get people to do it there stare at me blankly and say "Why would I do that when I can just call you?"

That's all for now, but I'm reserving the right to add more later!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaperPenguin
Family
Friends
The sound of church bells ringing
The sound of birds singing
Seeing the new lambs (at this time of year)
The countryside

hi paper penguin, sorry the usa section does not have a meet and greet section but perhaps you could introduce yourself here or start a new thread.

welcome to BE
Old Mar 11th 2007, 6:51 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I miss London in general, and Putney in particular.

Lots of little things, like Sainsbury's (edible ready meals!), Boots (No 7 cosmetics and make-up!!), Ottakar's in Putney (those comfy sofas and cappucinos), the No. 14 bus, the 'real' Guardian, watchable TV, and seeing the trees in my neighbour's garden bloom in the spring...

And then there's the big things. My son, who found it impossible to settle here. Not being able to visit my parents' grave. My friends - and not having to watch every word I utter in case it might not be politically correct, 'unsuitable for family viewing' or even slightly critical of the great US of A...

Oh, and the ROH, obviously!!
I miss being able to visit my parents graves. I'm glad someone else does, I thought it was just me.
I miss good ready meals and good daily newspapers. I miss the Today show on radio 4 and listening to radio 2 while I work...not that I work here

I miss being able to garden. We have a big garden here but the deer and rabbits eat everything and we are not allowed fences. I really miss seeing flowers.
Buying lovely flowers in the supermarket. I used to but scented lilies every week but here the supermarkets only sell the sort of flowers you would buy in a petrol station in the UK.
Actually just buying decent food in the supermarket would be nice.
I miss seeing people walking around instead of jogging by with their i-pods, dressed in Lycra when they really shouldn't be. I always feel like tripping them up, they look so smug.
I miss those fast conversations, full of one liners.
I am always putting my foot in it by being politically incorrect.Here it is unacceptable to call someone stupid but perfectly ok to call a disabled person a spastic!!!!!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Buying lovely flowers in the supermarket. I used to but scented lilies every week but here the supermarkets only sell the sort of flowers you would buy in a petrol station in the UK.
!!!
Oooh I'd forgotten about flowers. It's been so long since I bought any scented ones. I used to buy freesias, oh the smell was fantastic!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Oooh I'd forgotten about flowers. It's been so long since I bought any scented ones. I used to buy freesias, oh the smell was fantastic!
Sweet Peas, oh how I miss them
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:24 pm

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

After 34 looooong years, I still miss

A cold Christmas
Proper custard pies (not pies filled with custard!)
Access to the countryside
Hearing owls
Ringing churchbells
Castles, old houses
Snow falling
and being amongst people who have known me in my childhood who I can have a laugh with about "the good old days".
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic

Oh yes, those too. So many colours weren't there. My Dads favourite flowers were daffodils and dahlias. His garden would be awash with the colours, and inside the house too! he used to be a market gardener and would grow flowers to cut and sell. I'll always remember his bunches of sweet williams.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:31 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I miss sweet peas and roses. In my UK garden I had a really scented climbing rose and we always grew sweet peas through it.
Can you grow them here (in the US) ?
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

I miss sweet peas and roses. In my UK garden I had a really scented climbing rose and we always grew sweet peas through it.
you could try, i tried the first yr but the humidity just finished them off, don't bother anymore

i love the smell of sweet peas, the more you pick the more they bloom right
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Not even seen the seed's for sweet pea's,use to love Roses in the garden, you can really smell them in the soft summer breeze while having a cuppa in the garden, now will you please shut up I dont have a garden over here
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal

A cold Christmas
Hearing owls
Ringing churchbells
Castles, old houses
Snow falling
and being amongst people who have known me in my childhood who I can have a laugh with about "the good old days".

omg 34 yrs...i'd be in a mental home

due to the climate changes our uk winters are not quite as cold as they once were and therefore not much snow either. i'm talking about the english winters btw.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal

A cold Christmas
Hearing owls
Ringing churchbells
Castles, old houses
Snow falling
OMG, and you're such a long way from home!!

How often do you manage to go back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.