British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Like Is Full of Disappointments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/like-full-disappointments-935303/)

lizzyq Oct 16th 2020 4:08 pm

Re: Like Is Full of Disappointments

We are on relatively up to date Android phones, using a family Google Fi plan. We haven't had a landline since moving to the USA 6 years ago and really do not miss it at all.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 16th 2020 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by BennyBall (Post 12922594)
Cell phone gripe alert ...
JSMTH mentions text verification....
A small example of those who now continually want text verification ....
Apple
USAA
Virgin Money
Social Security
google voice
HMRC
These are just the last six that I’ve pulled off from my cellphone text messages.
Is it the second layer of customer security protection..... or do they all just want my cellphone number on file ?
Cellphone gripe over !

I do wonder sometimes if its just a way to collect cell phone numbers.

We only have 1 cell and often my wife has it and not home, and certain companies I cannot access when she isn't home to check accounts because they insist on the texting the code in addition to my password.

Then many US companies wont text to a foreign phone number including Canada which has the same phone number format as the US does, no different calling or texting Canada from the US than making a long distance call within the US.

Text verification annoys the living daylight out of me especially when they do not provide any alternative method.

Only andriod phones for me though, I don't find value in Apple products, probably will never own an Apple anything....lol

Pulaski Oct 16th 2020 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12922627)
..... I don't find value in Apple products, probably will never own an Apple anything. .....

I agree 100% on that point. I need a phone, not to join a cult!

markonline1 Oct 16th 2020 5:16 pm

To be fair, you should only really consider an iPhone if you value an operating system designed for the phone that gives regular and seamless updates rather than a one size fits all operating system where you’ll be lucky to see an update. If security isn’t important to you, you probably shouldn’t bother considering an iPhone either.

lansbury Oct 16th 2020 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12922530)
Whats a cell phone? I have a landline with an answering machine :rofl: Yes I knowhttp://www.jurassicworld.com/sites/d..._0001_trex.png

How do you fit it in your pocket?

lansbury Oct 16th 2020 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12922607)

I recognize that number :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 16th 2020 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12922660)
To be fair, you should only really consider an iPhone if you value an operating system designed for the phone that gives regular and seamless updates rather than a one size fits all operating system where you’ll be lucky to see an update. If security isn’t important to you, you probably shouldn’t bother considering an iPhone either.

My problem is the cost, way too expensive with no budget model, well I guess there is a budget model but still at the high end. :rofl:

markonline1 Oct 16th 2020 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12922689)
My problem is the cost, way too expensive with no budget model, well I guess there is a budget model but still at the high end. :rofl:

The cost of phones is now ridiculous.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 16th 2020 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12922706)

That and the fact that they don't seem to really have any useful new features any more, it will take more than an extra camera and a new way to unlock your phone to make me part with $1000.

Pulaski Oct 16th 2020 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12922706)

This isn't necessarily the manufacturer's fault - both the phone networks and the consumer are partly to blame. ..... I have been looking at a Samsung phone that interests me - AT&T wants to charge me over $1,000 for it, but I can buy one on Amazon for $499. :blink:

markonline1 Oct 17th 2020 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12922768)
and the consumer are partly to blame. .....

Yep, idiots like me keep buying them LOL.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 17th 2020 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12922768)
This isn't necessarily the manufacturer's fault - both the phone networks and the consumer are partly to blame. ..... I have been looking at a Samsung phone that interests me - AT&T wants to charge me over $1,000 for it, but I can buy one on Amazon for $499. :blink:

Phone companies gotta add in the cost of the phones that never get paid for in full, you know get X phone for $0 on a 2 year contract, and then a % of people who take up said offer will default and suppose they need to work those losses into the total cost.

Lion in Winter Oct 17th 2020 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12922685)
I recognize that number :thumbsup:

As would my grandfather. :)

kimilseung Oct 17th 2020 3:28 pm

I bought a Tracfone Samsung phone on Amazon, a steal at $30.00. we are at the point now where these low end phones are more than capable of what most want them to do.
They expect to make money on you buying air time.
For me, it was just for the screen and camera.
I use the camera as a document camera via WiFi in zoom meetings on my computer.
I also use it as a screen to display data from my computer, also via WiFi.
Dedicated solutions for the same tasks would be much more expensive for the same quality, and I would need two devices.
Next time I need a new phone, I might go this $30 route.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 17th 2020 5:44 pm

Just be glad your not in Canada, where prices are even higher :rofl: service and plans worse....