Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Like Is Full of Disappointments

Like Is Full of Disappointments

Old Oct 19th 2020, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Like Is Full of Disappointments

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My problem is the cost, way too expensive with no budget model, well I guess there is a budget model but still at the high end.
My wife and I have been using iPhone SE’s purchased at Walmart. New about $250. We are on our second ones. They are also our only connection to internet and I couldn’t imagine needing anything more for phone or internet.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 3:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
My wife and I have been using iPhone SE’s purchased at Walmart. New about $250. We are on our second ones. They are also our only connection to internet and I couldn’t imagine needing anything more for phone or internet.
I use my phone for accessing the internet, but I find it very limiting, like watching a film at a cinema through a keyhole, and so when at home I always perfer to use my home computer which is set up with 3x24" wide-screen monitors. I find using my phone especially limiting with Amazon, and the YouTube "experience" IMO is much superior on a computer too.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I use my phone for accessing the internet, but I find it very limiting, like watching a film at a cinema through a keyhole, and so when at home I always perfer to use my home computer which is set up with 3x24" wide-screen monitors. I find using my phone especially limiting with Amazon, and the YouTube "experience" IMO is much superior on a computer too.
I use the phone for browsing news or basic stuff when out and about, but I have not met a phone or tablet yet that is a replacement for a computer. Typing on phones and tablets alone annoys me and slows me down. Bigger tablets are also a pain in the rear to hold.

Now I wouldn't mind having a home internet/cell phone combined type plan where its all shared data vs having to have separate companies and bill, that would be good.
Old Oct 19th 2020, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m the complete opposite. My laptop is only really used for gaming. All my browsing, YouTube etc etc is done on my phone.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I have had misgivings ever since the first (and last) mobile I ever bought gave up the ghost, my indestructible, reliable, two week battery life, Nokia 3210. I had it for nearly ten years, replaced the, broken, casing twice and attracted all sorts of attention in the pubs thanks to the, delightfully lewd name that my sister in law gave my bluetooth every time she joined us for drinks (ie. quite a few week nights and every weekend) - back in the days when bluetooth was only any good for scoping the bluetooth talent in pubs.

Phones just aren't built like that old Nokia anymore. I've been over here for five years and am on the third of my wife's hand-me-down I-phones, as well as having trashed my stepson's old castoff Samsung when a 12" offcut from a 4" fencepost spun off my saw when being cut, fell four feet, performed a credible audition as a Scottish caber and planted itself squarely in the middle of the screen. Having smashed the camera lens and pushed it through the back of the body I presume it was fooked.

I quite liked the I-phone 5, which drowned in a drybag while I was paddling on a white water river in the Blue Ridge Mountains, got slung in the dead phone drawer after numerous attempts to revive it and, unbelievably, came back to life six months later when I charged it on the off chance after the fencepost incident with the Samsung. I replaced the screen once and when it broke a second time the missus reckoned it was time to upgrade hers so I got an I-phone 6S.

The I-phone 6S didn't last more than a year, had the missus not left it on the back bumper of my truck and the tracking system not been so good it would probably still be alive.
We tracked back the 1/4 mile down the lane to the house and I pulled off the road when the tracking system reckoned we were close. Protective cases don't do much protecting when you drive Tundra over them!!

I've had the I-phone 7 since August and am still in discovery stage. I can work the camera, pull up maps, have put one of my email addresses on it, recently logged in to BE on it and signed up to Whatsapp as a way to keep in touch with UK family when mum broke her neck. One day I might suss out how to access the wife's I-tunes account and do the whole music thing but probably not until I've got a truck that can talk to my phone.

My biggest gripe is that hand-me-down I-phones are a right pain in the butt to reconfigure.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

...And why is LIKE full of disappointments?
Old Oct 21st 2020, 10:57 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I’m the complete opposite. My laptop is only really used for gaming. All my browsing, YouTube etc etc is done on my phone.
I'm with Pulaski on this one. When at home and using the internet my Macbook Pro is the browser of choice. My iPhone X is just too small for the task and I don't see the need for a niche product like an iPad.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm with Pulaski on this one. When at home and using the internet my Macbook Pro is the browser of choice. My iPhone X is just too small for the task and I don't see the need for a niche product like an iPad.
Thats why you need the XS MAX