British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Life Knows How To Kick You In The Teeth! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/life-knows-how-kick-you-teeth-929727/)

moneypenny20 Dec 31st 2019 11:20 am

Re: Life Knows How To Kick You In The Teeth!

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 12783697)
Ahh, of course you are. But you're both going to head in there tomorrow and let the pros do their job :nod:

Your only mission is to look after yourself so you can be there to support her. So do all the silly things you know you should. Drink water, make something healthy to bring with you as breakfast in the morning. Calm music. No tab-flipping internet binge. Breathe.

This. May 2020 be kind to you both G. And everyone else obviously.

Jerseygirl Dec 31st 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12783688)
Well, here we are again, one 'okay' vacation and a very understated Christmas later.

She goes under the knife again tomorrow for clean-up on the original removal and lymph node checks - another two incisions.

Doc is very optimistic that this will clear it all out and she'll have radiation treatment and pills to make sure it's clear. I'm expecting her to be much more sore, especially with the underarm incision.

It's 12:30am and I have to be up with her at 5:15 to head to the hospital. Do you think I'm worried?

Good luck with the surgery and treatment Mrs G.

Mr G, take care of yourself during this very, very stressful time.

Wishing you both all the best for 2020.

Nutmegger Dec 31st 2019 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12783761)
Good luck with the surgery and treatment Mrs G.

Mr G, take care of yourself during this very, very stressful time.

Wishing you both all the best for 2020.

Couldn't say it any better, so I second JG's good wishes.

Rete Dec 31st 2019 2:36 pm

I'll chime in third for JG's wishes. You're the West Coast so she might well be in surgery already. May her surgery be successful, the radiation side effects tolerable and the cure 100%.

Guindalf Dec 31st 2019 4:34 pm

We're home, having filled her prescription and picking up some groceries (she waited in the car!).

The good news (?) is that her nodes are clear and all we have to do is take pills and three to four weeks of radiation once she heals from the surgery.

Thanks to everyone who responded and also to those who had good thoughts but didn't post. Every good wish is appreciated!

Jerseygirl Dec 31st 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12783842)
We're home, having filled her prescription and picking up some groceries (she waited in the car!).

The good news (?) is that her nodes are clear and all we have to do is take pills and three to four weeks of radiation once she heals from the surgery.

Thanks to everyone who responded and also to those who had good thoughts but didn't post. Every good wish is appreciated!

:thumbsup: That is good news indeed. :thumbsup:

Nutmegger Dec 31st 2019 6:23 pm

Great news -- sounds as if there are grounds for a big celebration this evening.Put your feet up, pop a cork, and enjoy!

Guindalf Jan 1st 2020 2:10 pm

No alcohol with the cancer pills, but she doesn't really drink anyway!

We tried to stay up for the new year and made it to 11:00 pm. I was probably feeling worse that she was by that time! I did manage to see midnight - just, but my insomnia had me up an hour or so later.

Happy New Year to all. Hoping 2020 is better than what's been before!

Steerpike Jan 1st 2020 3:42 pm

Just saw this thread, my (belated) best wishes to your wife (and yourself).

Did they mention any 'stages'? I don't know if that's still how they measure these things. My g/f was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2004 (age 51); they operated immediately and then she had radiation - no chemo (thankfully!). Back then, she was working (hard) and I remember being impressed by how she took the radiation in her stride. Towards the end of the treatment period, she was getting very tired - it's like the radiation sucks the energy out of you. The radiation itself is a non-event - I think they just point a device at you for about 60 seconds or less and you don't feel a thing (but it takes a long time to get you 'positioned', as they need to target the radiation perfectly at the site).

She just got her annual mamo results this week, and the results were good. Every year, she celebrates being 'clear' and this year it was 15 years since the diagnosis!

Early detection, quick removal, and not having spread to the lymph nodes are key factors.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Guindalf Jan 3rd 2020 4:52 pm

Stage 1.

More good news! Surgeon's office just called and said that the results came back on the margins around the cancer that were removed and all is negative. Her exact words were "Cancer is all gone."

Jerseygirl Jan 3rd 2020 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12784811)
Stage 1.

More good news! Surgeon's office just called and said that the results came back on the margins around the cancer that were removed and all is negative. Her exact words were "Cancer is all gone."

Woo hoo. :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting us know.

Guindalf Jan 3rd 2020 4:59 pm

Good news. Got the call from the surgeon's office and the results came back on the margins around the cancer that were removed and all is negative.

Her exact words were "Cancer is all gone".

Rete Jan 3rd 2020 5:03 pm

Great news and the perfect way to start 2020.

My daughter's was stage 3/4 (doctors could not agree). As of now, it too is all gone. I pray for both she and your wife.

Pom_Chch Jan 4th 2020 3:59 am

So pleased for the end result Guindalf. The hard part is the waiting and not knowing but I'm pleased it's all over and done with now. Here's to a happy and healthy New year and beyond!