Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Pulaski, maybe their sales would go up if more people were on drugs lol.
True, or if they thought drugs were going to be included.

dak it's their baby now, I hope it works out for them. I saw the contract where they changed the inbound hire rules. One of the things the old timers 'gave up' was the day off after Easter Sunday! My heart bleeds for them Pete
I bought a brand new '69 Mustang Mach1 off the showroom floor. Here is a brief history of UAW quality workmanship at the time.

First day: Drove it to work, 35 miles, had to drive back in the dark because we ran the crusher until 8pm. Headlights kept getting dimmer and dimmer. Pulled up to the service bay at about 5 to 9, fortunately they were open until 9, and the car died. Turned out that they had not plugged the alternator into the wiring loom.

Day 3: It rained. Huge puddle of water on the rear package tray. Took it back for repair. Day 4, rained again, another puddle.

Week 4 or thereabouts: Went over a bump and the dashboard flew up in the air. They had not bolted it down. Started wondering what other bolts they had left out.

After two months: Car had convertible style windows with the chrome trim and rubber seal. Opened the door and the trim fell off. Opened the passenger door to check, and that trim fell off.

Chrome trim around the tail lights, all three vertical lights each side, fell off.

After about 4 months: Went over a bump and heard a popping sound in the front. Like when you compress the sides of can and it pops when you compress and again when you release. It was the cross members for the front struts buckling the firewall, and they had no clue how to fix it, so it stayed that way.

A few weeks later: Went over a bump, same popping plus a cracking sound in the rear fastback. That turned out to be broken spot welds. Both sides.

6 months. Sold the piece of shit. Loved the car, but it was a nightmare of problems. I was at the dealer on average once a week for one thing or another.

That was an all too common situation for all manufacturers and it continued for a few more decades. I had acquaintances that worked the line and used to brag about sabotaging cars, just because they, for one reason or another, hated the company. Getting paid better wages than any other line worker in the country, best benefits with lifetime healthcare, good vacation time plus plus plus....but sabotage cars that the customers then have to suffer with. That was the all too common UAW worker mindset. It has definitely changed, a lot, but it was one of the root causes of quality issues for manufacturers. And they pretty much couldn't fire anyone. The union would threaten a work stoppage.

Last edited by dakota44; Jan 29th 2014 at 8:03 am.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
That was an all too common situation for all manufacturers and it continued for a few more decades. I had acquaintances that worked the line and used to brag about sabotaging cars, just because they, for one reason or another, hated the company. Getting paid better wages than any other line worker in the country, best benefits with lifetime healthcare, good vacation time plus plus plus....but sabotage cars that the customers then have to suffer with. That was the all too common UAW worker mindset. It has definitely changed, a lot, but it was one of the root causes of quality issues for manufacturers. And they pretty much couldn't fire anyone. The union would threaten a work stoppage.
Now compare that to the British car industry of the 70s and oh...
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:10 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

True, or if they thought drugs were going to be included.

I bought a brand new '69 Mustang Mach1 off the showroom floor. Here is a brief history of UAW quality workmanship at the time.

First day: Drove it to work, 35 miles, had to drive back in the dark because we ran the crusher until 8pm. Headlights kept getting dimmer and dimmer. Pulled up to the service bay at about 5 to 9, fortunately they were open until 9, and the car died. Turned out that they had not plugged the alternator into the wiring loom.
Just out of interest, what was it you were "crushing"?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Just out of interest, what was it you were "crushing"?
GM's. No. Back then, before Uni, I was working running a front loader in my uncle's gravel pit. We actually made most of the crushed stone and sand for a large section of Hwy 17 and I81 around Binghamton, NY and area. Wore my ass out it did. Some days 20 hours straight. Worked 7 days a week. Of course, being a nephew, I had to work harder and for less money than anyone else, lest they think there was favoritism.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed in that link, that Lancia is still about....who knew
Old Jan 29th 2014, 11:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Now compare that to the British car industry of the 70s and oh...
Oh, yeah, and stories about ball bearings dropped into sealed panels, so the car always rattled, or a banana skin dropped in so the car always had an odd smell.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Oh, yeah, and stories about ball bearings dropped into sealed panels, so the car always rattled, or a banana skin dropped in so the car always had an odd smell.
Much the same here at the time. Everything from bits of their leftovers from lunch, nuts and bolts, bottle caps and even coke bottles in door panels. Always found it odd that it never dawned on people that they were ruining the reputation of the product and risking the company going belly up with their jobs gone.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:03 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Wheeler Dealers are doing a '64 Sting Ray on Velocity right now.

Last edited by Mr Weeze; Jan 29th 2014 at 1:10 pm. Reason: Added the year
Old Jan 29th 2014, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Wheeler Dealers are doing a '64 Sting Ray on Velocity right now.
Job well done Ed China
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've become addicted to wheeler dealers the last couple of days. Great tv!
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:41 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Much the same here at the time. Everything from bits of their leftovers from lunch, nuts and bolts, bottle caps and even coke bottles in door panels. Always found it odd that it never dawned on people that they were ruining the reputation of the product and risking the company going belly up with their jobs gone.
People default to idiot mode I'm afraid. That said the full size GM and Ford products I've owned, many 80s, but 2 90s and now 1 00s have been good reliable cars.

If I lived overseas I'd buy something I couldn't get here, like an Alfa. I've always wanted to drive an original Mini too, if I ever move to England I'll get one

Pete
Old Jan 30th 2014, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wanted to drive an original Mini too, if I ever move to England I'll get one

Pete
I had a 1980 Mini, as my first car - Hated it at the time. Now, not so much.

Jim.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 1:06 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I had a 1980 Mini, as my first car - Hated it at the time. Now, not so much.

Jim.
My first was a 1976 Cooper.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was a bog standard Austin Mini, can't remember the year, late 70's. By far the most fun car I've ever owned!!!!!

When I moved out here, I wanted something that I couldn't get home in England. It's why I bought a Mazda 3 (although it does have a boot which you can't get back home). My next car will definitely be something more unique to here.

Last edited by markonline1; Jan 30th 2014 at 4:45 am.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:13 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
My first was a 1976 Cooper.
Mine was a basic 1964 Austin Mini -- which some bright spark had painted to look like a Cooper from a distance! How I loved that car -- I can still remember its number plate, but I haven't a clue what the plate is on my current vehicle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.