Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:21 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Bink
Who comes to the US (Houston at that) and downsizes their car...?!
Not me... That took a while.

First car I bought when I got here was this...

Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:22 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sure, the engine is in the right place, as are the powered wheels. It just seems to have been built with half an engine. ....But don't worry, because Mazda was run by Ford at the time, so you can yank out the half-engine and drop in a Ford small block V8. Problem solved.

http://monstermiata.webs.com/Ken%20H%20Monster4.jpg
That would just destroy everything that made a Miata worth driving.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That RAM was a miserable POS. Couldn't wait to be rid of it. .....
My neighbour had one, he didn't like it either, which may, or may not, by why he T-boned a car that cut across his path through a gap in stationary traffic. The RAM was totalled, and he moved up to a new F150.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 14th 2014 at 6:35 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:30 am

My neighbour had one, he didn't like it either, which may, or may not, by why he T-boned a car that cut across his path through a gap in stationary traffic. :rolleyes The RAM was totalled, and he moved up to a new F150.
Probably because he couldn't get it to go in a straight line.

They replaced the steering box in mine twice in 8 weeks.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

My RAM used to do that in the dry. On a straight road.

Horrid thing.
I still have a Ram that used to do that, brand new from the dealership, which, among other items had the steering column replaced under warranty, in a failed attempt to remedy the situation. The problem was thereafter erroneously blamed on tire tread until I personally, eventually changed the collapsed front shock absorbers. Surprisingly it cured the problem as well as greatly improving cornering etc, without replacing any additional front end components.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That would just destroy everything that made a Miata worth driving.
It's only about 70-80lb more than the stock 2.0 Miata engine (or 40-50lb with aluminum heads), so I'm not sure how that would "destroy" the Miata experience.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by CelticRover
I still have a Ram that used to do that, brand new from the dealership, which, among other items had the steering column replaced under warranty, in a failed attempt to remedy the situation. The problem was thereafter erroneously blamed on tire tread until I personally, eventually changed the collapsed front shock absorbers. Surprisingly it cured the problem as well as greatly improving cornering etc, without replacing any additional front end components.
They tried the "tire tread" thing on me as well.

Then, over various visits, they replaced the Tyres, Shocks, Control arms, Tracking, Wheel Bearings, One Brake Calipur and the Steering box (twice). Never got it right. I gave up and got rid of it in the end.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:35 am

Oh, and the window in the back of the cab fell out.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:43 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

They put American V8s in the Sunbeam. I'm guessing suspension work would change it, but weight is weight too.

I've heard before that Dodge trucks have steering problems.

Pete
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
It COULD be worse I suppose, it could be a TT

Nutek I like the Ram, very mean looking. For a Fiat lol. Having trouble?

Here's my little truck:
Chevy S10, decent little truck, and I hate Chevy and GM, so that's saying something.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
They put American V8s in the Sunbeam. I'm guessing suspension work would change it, but weight is weight too.

I've heard before that Dodge trucks have steering problems.

Pete
Steering, suspension and a fairly long list of other things. They broke the mold, in a good way, when they came out with the new, more masculine truck design ahead of everyone else, but then built it pretty poorly. Always cost a fair amount to do a mechanical fitness on before resale. Jeeps were worse. Much worse.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

They tried the "tire tread" thing on me as well.

Then, over various visits, they replaced the Tyres, Shocks, Control arms, Tracking, Wheel Bearings, One Brake Calipur and the Steering box (twice). Never got it right. I gave up and got rid of it in the end.
Other than bad front shocks the only item early on was a bad solenoid which wouldn't allow it to shift into overdrive. However before the extended warranty expired, I took it in with instructions to do everything possible under warranty, and managed to leave with a replaced automatic transmission, water pump and miscellaneous. I was unaware that I had any transmission problems but I didn't challenge their decision to change it.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, and the window in the back of the cab fell out.
That was the "Extended ventilation" option.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I also have a 2008 Ram with the multi displacement V8 hemi which has been flawless, although I recently realized that it requires 16 spark plugs with difficult access, which according to the blogs might require up to 4 hours to replace.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My neighbour had one, he didn't like it either, which may, or may not, by why he T-boned a car that cut across his path through a gap in stationary traffic. The RAM was totalled, and he moved up to a new F150.
Toyota Tundra would be my truck of choice. I like the Ford, but Tundra ate everyone's lunch in about every category when the new model originally came out. Awesome truck. They did force Ford and GM to start building tougher trucks when they saw Toyota sales. GM in particular lost a lot fo customers to them. They were the customers we gained the most numbers of. All one had to do was compare the rotors on a Toyota with Ford or Chev, and then realize they built it that tough all the way through. Haven't compared them in a while and I know Ford for sure has beefed their truck up. We'll see if the foray in aluminum puts a dent (pun intended) in their sales.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.