Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 10th 2020, 3:56 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Reminds me of that Eagle Speedster from a decade or so back. Half a Million GBP.

Looks gorgeous though.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Anyone fancy a brand new 1960's Mustang?

They're a bit pricy, but officially licenced by Ford, and seem to be "resto-mod style", which was presumably necessary anyway to get them through the currenty safety tests.
I wonder just how many unavoidable changes they have to make, to comply with safety and other related rules? Apart from the obvious issues such as engine efficiency, you have things like 'bumpers' which have to withstand 'x' mph impacts, certain instrument gauge requirements, door strength, rollover-protections, etc ... do they get any 'passes' on those things if they keep the production runs under a certain number, I wonder? And do they try to sneak in 'improvements' like CD players, GPS systems, etc or maintain the truly austere dash layouts?
Old Aug 10th 2020, 5:06 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

And do they try to sneak in 'improvements' like CD players, GPS systems, etc or maintain the truly austere dash layouts?
According to the buyers guide there's a Multi Function Display in the GT22 Fastback, touch screen with backup camera, I assume that's probably standard.

https://revologycars.com/wp-content/...2020-JUL-1.pdf

EDIT: Apple Carplay too. Very 1968.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 5:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I wonder just how many unavoidable changes they have to make, to comply with safety and other related rules? Apart from the obvious issues such as engine efficiency, you have things like 'bumpers' which have to withstand 'x' mph impacts, .....
Well modern cars are totally different from ones made 50+ years ago, where modern cars have their bumpers, which are then entirely hidden behing the "bumper cover", which is mistaken commonly referred to as the bumper. So if you're designing a "new replica" it should be possible to incorporate a 2020-standard compliant bumper and hide it behind a period authentic bumper that has little more than decorative value, which is exactly the same function as the modern bumper cover.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well modern cars are totally different from ones made 50+ years ago, where modern cars have their bumpers, which are then entirely hidden behing the "bumper cover", which is mistaken commonly referred to as the bumper. So if you're designing a "new replica" it should be possible to incorporate a 2020-standard compliant bumper and hide it behind a period authentic bumper that has little more than decorative value, which is exactly the same function as the modern bumper cover.
I do see a bit of a challenge, though - isn't there a requirement that not only should the car itself not sustain more than '$x' worth of damage, but that it should not inflict damage on another car? The old 'bumpers' were chrome-plated solid metal items, and would be quite damaging if they hit another car. Further - I think there are 'forward safety' concerns - are you allowed to have big spreads of steel at the front of a car, these days - pedestrian safety, and all that (maybe that's in the UK - I recall that cars had to either remove, or make 'flexible', their hood (bonnet) ornaments ...
Old Aug 10th 2020, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

And as we're on a Mustang theme, I saw on the news this morning that they are giving the (non-retro) Mustang an electric drive train with gen-u-ine vroom, vroom sound option.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 10:49 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Reminds me of that Eagle Speedster from a decade or so back. Half a Million GBP.

Looks gorgeous though.
Just beautiful.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 6:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I need a new vehicle, new to me, see a lot of Toyota FJ's around, anybody have one, driven one/
Old Aug 18th 2020, 7:57 am
Often not so civil...

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Ed Bollian, he used to hold the record the Canonball run, and he has a channel on Youtube that he and some of his 'friends' tell car stories. He, and they, have some pretty good ones. This is one of my favourites:

Old Aug 18th 2020, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone still driving their car? I want a new car, but I have only driven 100 miles since March. Thinking about going down to a one car family.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 8:24 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Is anyone still driving their car? I want a new car, but I have only driven 100 miles since March. Thinking about going down to a one car family.
I go through a tank in 2 weeks, possibly a little less than before. The first couple of months I used maybe a tank and a half.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I go through a tank in 2 weeks, possibly a little less than before. The first couple of months I used maybe a tank and a half.
I used to get through a tank every 2 weeks, now its down to 2 tanks a year. Not sure if I need fuel stabilizer for the car.

Looked at getting a leaf, but the insurance was $1200 , which is a lot for a little car.

Last edited by mrken30; Aug 18th 2020 at 9:50 am.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 9:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I'd like a new car too, but I wouldn't buy one if I was only driving 200 miles a year. In fact even though I am driving a lot more than you, I won't be getting another vehicle until such time as things return to something closer to normality.

We have gone from one tank/vehicle/ week, or about 40 gallons/week, to about one tank/ vehicle/ two months, or about 20 gallons/mth.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 9:42 am
Often not so civil...

Our daily driving has not changed one bit the entire time. That's Georgia for you. Probably why we have one of the highest case counts.

Doesn't help that both of us are/were essential.

I go through about 13 Gallions a week, she goes through about 16 Gallons a week.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by civilservant
Our daily driving has not changed one bit the entire time. That's Georgia for you. Probably why we have one of the highest case counts.

Doesn't help that both of us are/were essential. .....
Mrs P and I are essential too, but what we do can, ahem, essentially travel down a wire and back again, so we were sent home. Actually I was already home, aand had been since February 2019, but I haven't needed to take little Miss P to school.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.