Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

I think it's already well known that there won't be a coupé version of the new Z4 or a convertible Supra, because a coupé Z4 is a Supra, and a convertible Supra is a Z4. But who knew that Z4 and Supra have a half-sibling?

Old Mar 7th 2019, 9:10 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think it's already well known that there won't be a coupé version of the new Z4 or a convertible Supra, because a coupé Z4 is a Supra, and a convertible Supra is a Z4. But who knew that Z4 and Supra have a half-sibling?
Me Sir! I did Sir! Well, as of the Geneva announcement, anyway, and the rumour mill had been fairly lively in the weeks leading up to the show.

Actually, a bittersweet moment for Morgan. The Plus Six has more in common with the Aero models (including the Plus8 which used BMW's rather excellent N62 motor) than the "traditional" 4-pot 4/4 and +4 or current V6 Roadster. It's got a bonded aluminium chassis, and while there's still a wood frame for the bodywork at the back, the famous (infamous?) sliding-pillar front suspension is replaced with a proper double-wishbone setup. The days of the ladderframe chassis, live axle, cart-sprung. hairy-chested appeal of the traditional Morgan are coming towards their end, probably.

More importantly, perhaps, the company has ceased to be the largest remaining wholly-British-owned vehicle manufacturer. The Morgan family retains a minority interest, but a controlling 51% is now in the hands of Italian VC firm InvestIndustrial. It seems clear from some of the early chatter on Morgan forums that the company will move inexorably upmarket: the new straight-six models will have a base price of almost GBP 80k, with likely option choices taking them into the realm of six figures pretty easily. As the ability to shoehorn the existing 4-cylinder cars into crashworthiness and emissions compliance gets harder and more expensive, the dilemma is to avoid entirely alienating the beards-and-real-ale types who have been Morgan's mainstay for years, and attract a younger, wealthier clientele (especially in Asian markets) who are after the nostalgia kick without the hours spent on the floor of the garage with grease gun in hand.

Still, it'll mean the market for second-hand "trads" stays buoyant, which suits me fine - not that I'd ever sell mine, but it's comforting to know...
Old Mar 7th 2019, 11:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
.... Still, it'll mean the market for second-hand "trads" stays buoyant, which suits me fine - not that I'd ever sell mine, but it's comforting to know...
I suspect that in some way Morgan has a similar problem to Harley Davidson if not moreso, in that most of the vehicles they manufacture are garaged, cosseted, and very lightly used and never see rain never mind frost or snow, and therefore in most cases last pretty much forever.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:29 am

I see Audio has launched electric cars; I presume BMW and Mercedes aren't far behind. .... Tesla is toast!
Old Mar 18th 2019, 7:46 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I see Audio has launched electric cars; I presume BMW and Mercedes aren't far behind. .... Tesla is toast!
My Audi had the NOX "tune up" just before I got it (Q5 diesel) - it makes it pretty gutless. Going to get it (and the DSG box) remapped in a couple of weeks' time to see if that helps.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

I've given up looking for a car in my budget to buy outright and will most likely use that towards half a car and put the other half on payments until I get my bonus at the end of the yr. Just seems that you cannot buy anything decent (SUV) for under $10k but there seems to be a lot more around for $12-$15K

I did look at an 08 ML350 Mercedes but have been told they have lots of issues.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
I've given up looking for a car in my budget to buy outright and will most likely use that towards half a car and put the other half on payments until I get my bonus at the end of the yr. Just seems that you cannot buy anything decent (SUV) for under $10k but there seems to be a lot more around for $12-$15K

I did look at an 08 ML350 Mercedes but have been told they have lots of issues.
If you are trying to buy a used SUV on a budget, and don't want long term expenses, I would steer clear of any of the European models as they generally have a reputation for being a) unreliable and b) expensive to repair. Did you rule out honda / toyota / etc?
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
If you are trying to buy a used SUV on a budget, ....?
I'd start, and probably end, by looking for an Explorer - they are present in large numbers at all budget levels, and seem to pretty much last forever. My in-laws put almost 200,000 miles on one, and it was still in good shape, but they just got increasingly concerned that it was "about to" fail, or need expensive repairs, though it never did. For what they needed and what they could afford IMO they should have kept it for at least another 3-5 years.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

I've ruled out Honda because the models I've looked at have timing belts and I hate changing them. Forget a Toyota because they are silly money here (2003 Tacomas sell for double most over vehicles for example, and that's with more miles on them than the starship enterprise)

I've been looking at Sante Fe's, 2nd Gen but am now looking at 3rd gen (2013 onwards)
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'd start, and probably end, by looking for an Explorer - they are present in large numbers at all budget levels, and seem to pretty much last forever. My in-laws put almost 200,000 miles on one, and it was still in good shape, but they just got increasingly concerned that it was "about to" fail, or need expensive repairs, though it never did. For what they needed and what they could afford IMO they should have kept it for at least another 3-5 years.
I've considered them, but anything before the ecoboost models isn't great on economy.

Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

DexterBerkeley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
If you are trying to buy a used SUV on a budget, and don't want long term expenses, I would steer clear of any of the European models as they generally have a reputation for being a) unreliable and b) expensive to repair. Did you rule out honda / toyota / etc?
Good advice, Have a 7 year old BMW, I've had it for 4 years. I joke that each time now it gets serviced if it comes out costing less than $2k I'm winning, and so far I've been winning but know that will run out on me sometime not too far off. Someone once said to me "A poor man drives a new BMW, a rich man drives a used one".
Old Mar 18th 2019, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha, maintenance costs aren't an issue to me as I do it all myself, repairs that are dealer specific are what puts me off.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone noticed that typical american drivers are very binary - either accelerating or braking? There is no letting off the gas in the equation.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by tom169
Has anyone noticed that typical american drivers are very binary - either accelerating or braking? There is no letting off the gas in the equation.
Yup, and in reaction I strive for the opposite - feather the throttle and minimize brake usage to the extreme - the pads on my Accord currently have 274,000 miles on them!

Sometimes people have told me that the way I drive wears the clutch, but the clutch is currently at 354,000 miles, i.e. it is original to the car, so I am sceptical that I am damaging it to any measurable degree.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2019 at 9:59 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
I've ruled out Honda because the models I've looked at have timing belts and I hate changing them. Forget a Toyota because they are silly money here (2003 Tacomas sell for double most over vehicles for example, and that's with more miles on them than the starship enterprise)

I've been looking at Sante Fe's, 2nd Gen but am now looking at 3rd gen (2013 onwards)
Toyota Tacomas are trucks, not SUVs; do you mean Toyota Sequoia? But that's a monster SUV. The Santa Fe is a pretty decent option, I think.

Note - while Honda's have timing belts, I seem to recall, they are external to the engine, not totally buried within it - not as hard to replace as on other cars. But it's been a near-lifetime since I did that sort of thing and maybe today it's different ... but make sure you aren't ruling out the model line for the wrong reasons!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.