Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 26th 2019, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Off to the dealership on Wednesday to buy the wife a new vehicle. She put 145k miles on her 2007 Honda C-RV LX (base model), so the new one will be a 2019 C-RV EX this time.

We decided on this one because it has some nice useful extras that she didn't have (or don't come with the base model). She'll be gaining a sunroof, privacy glass, Apple Car Play, Homelink and much more.

We were torn between running the old one until the wheels fall off, but if we do, I'm afraid one or both of us may retire and financing may be difficult to obtain. This way, she gets the joy of a new vehicle which ould well be the last one we ever buy (unless I decide I need another one!).

Last edited by Guindalf; Feb 26th 2019 at 4:52 am.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Terr is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at car insurance now and everything is astronomical. On the bright side I've got the actual car locked down to two models.

Toyota 4runner or Subaru Forester.

Very different creatures but I need something that can go off road. Subaru will be fine with a lift and some knobbies and 4runner will be fine stock but dear LORD gas prices in California don't make the prospect of filling up a 4runner thrilling (18mpg combined.)

Anyone got a 4runner who wants to sing its praise? I need some convincing. American wife is desperate for a 4runner. It's her dream car (or so she says!)
Old Feb 26th 2019, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terr
Looking at car insurance now and everything is astronomical. On the bright side I've got the actual car locked down to two models.

Very different creatures but I need something that can go off road. Subaru will be fine with a lift and some knobbies and 4runner will be fine stock but dear LORD gas prices in California don't make the prospect of filling up a 4runner thrilling (18mpg combined.)
Are you REALLY a Brit?

Anyone got a 4runner who wants to sing its praise? I need some convincing. American wife is desperate for a 4runner. It's her dream car (or so she says!)
I guess there's your answer.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Off to the dealership on Wednesday to buy the wife a new vehicle. She put 145k miles on her 2007 Honda C-RV LX (base model), so the new one will be a 2019 C-RV EX this time.

We decided on this one because it has some nice useful extras that she didn't have (or don't come with the base model). She'll be gaining a sunroof, privacy glass, Apple Car Play, Homelink and much more.

We were torn between running the old one until the wheels fall off, but if we do, I'm afraid one or both of us may retire and financing may be difficult to obtain. This way, she gets the joy of a new vehicle which ould well be the last one we ever buy (unless I decide I need another one!).
Have you checked out the Oil Dilution issues ? Seems there are lot of unhappy owners out there at the moment. Seems the new 1.5 turbo is causing headaches. Honda is quite new to turbos :-)

Do a search on "honda crv 1.5 turbo oil dilution"
Old Feb 26th 2019, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can’t speak about the 4Runner, but our Forester cost an arm and a leg every time something went wrong with it. And something often went wrong with it.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with a 4Runner, but you should consider upgrading the state it is registered in. ​​

AND there isn't a tactful way to put this, but you're going to look like a dick if you drive a Subaru with a lift and agressive tyres!
Old Feb 26th 2019, 3:19 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
drive a Subaru with a lift and agressive tyres!
Be more supportive. We should definitely encourage this sort of thing. Also, post pics.

Old Feb 26th 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Have you checked out the Oil Dilution issues ? Seems there are lot of unhappy owners out there at the moment. Seems the new 1.5 turbo is causing headaches. Honda is quite new to turbos :-)

Do a search on "honda crv 1.5 turbo oil dilution"
Seems that it was a minor problem that affected some '17 and '18 vehicles and it's been rectified. Gas was leaking into the oil, but Honda sorted it out or are sorting it, but it doesn't affect 2019 vehicles.

Thanks for the heads-up though.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Move out of Commiefornia, problem solved.

That said, I'd imagine the registration costs for either of those vehicles in CA will also be astronomical.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Are you REALLY a Brit?

I guess there's your answer.
Are you familiar with gas prices in CA specifically? Significantly higher than in neighboring states.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Move out of Commiefornia, problem solved.

That said, I'd imagine the registration costs for either of those vehicles in CA will also be astronomical.
The problems with CA are vastly overrated and quite clearly not understood by those who do not live there. I've tried leaving CA for "more reasonable" states ... I'm in the process of moving back there now (at least in part). There's a lot going for the place and high gas/registration/tax prices are not the most important things in the world. The combination of terrain, weather, food, and population diversity are just some of the slightly more important factors ...
Old Feb 27th 2019, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Are you familiar with gas prices in CA specifically? Significantly higher than in neighboring states.
And still half the price of the UK.

To add to the equation, his 18mpg (US) equates to 22.5mpg (UK) and when you factor in the price, it equates to getting 45mpg in the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The problems with CA are vastly overrated and quite clearly not understood by those who do not live there. I've tried leaving CA for "more reasonable" states ... I'm in the process of moving back there now (at least in part). There's a lot going for the place and high gas/registration/tax prices are not the most important things in the world. The combination of terrain, weather, food, and population diversity are just some of the slightly more important factors ...
Horses for courses. I spent a lot of time in LA last year for work (not the occasional visit, at minimum a week a month for about 7 months). It’s not a bad place in theory. You couldn’t pay me to live there though. Way too liberal, too expensive and just baffles me how they’re so incredibly bankrupt when they’re arguably the most expensive state to live in and also the heaviest via taxation.

As I said though, horses for courses. If you like it then that’s good for you and I wish you luck on your return
Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BenK91

Horses for courses. I spent a lot of time in LA last year for work (not the occasional visit, at minimum a week a month for about 7 months). It’s not a bad place in theory. You couldn’t pay me to live there though. Way too liberal, too expensive and just baffles me how they’re so incredibly bankrupt when they’re arguably the most expensive state to live in and also the heaviest via taxation.

As I said though, horses for courses. If you like it then that’s good for you and I wish you luck on your return
LA and the Bay Area are arguably a bit different ... we in the north like to think so anyway! (I feel most comfortable in Pasadena when I'm in the LA area). I hate the congestion, but the physical setting of the Bay Area is hard to beat - ocean, bay, hills everywhere, lush green in winter and cute 'sandy' colors in the summer; oak trees in abundance. Amazing food from all over, reflecting the mix of people. Since I bought into the place back in the 80s, the real-estate costs, which is the most significant high-cost item, doesn't really affect me that much (though I was hoping to cash-in by moving out-of-state). I'm heading into retirement so taxation isn't such a big deal any longer, and I don't seem to encounter any manifestation of 'incredibly bankrupt'.
Old Feb 27th 2019, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Does the EX offer multi-way power seat adjustment? That's always been one of my biggest complaints on the 'lower trim level' vehicles. I got the top-of-line CRV in 2013 (EX-L) and I found the multi-way power seats (leather) to be fantastic. Whenever I rent a car and get faced with those mechanical 'raise/lower' jobs (without any 'tilt' option) it drives me nuts! I 'upgraded' to a Lexus RX350 in 2016 but found the seats less agreeable for some reason. The noise-level in the CR-V was a bit excessive, though; the RX350 is magically quiet when cruising at 80 on the freeway - something that's quite important to me.

Also - does the EX offer android auto in addition to apple carplay? Some mfr's offer only one or the other - very foolish decision IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.