Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 13th 2018, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Terr
I've got it in my head that I'm going to buy a Jeep Wrangler once I get over there (if my visa ever decides to come through.) When in America... go big or go back to driving a Polo :P
You could do both, then you'll have alternative transport for all the times the Jeep will spend getting fixed in the workshop!
Old Jun 13th 2018, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a truck, pit the Polo in the back.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 5:36 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
You could do both, then you'll have alternative transport for all the times the Jeep will spend getting fixed in the workshop!
I've had 2 Jeeps, one for 9 years and one for 3 years. Other than their annual service neither have seen the inside of a workshop.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I've had 2 Jeeps, one for 9 years and one for 3 years. Other than their annual service neither have seen the inside of a workshop.
Before or after Fiat got involved? It seems to be a running joke here in the South about the number of Jeeps one sees broken down on the interstate - mind you, Jeep Cherokees have always been a bag of shite, I suppose the Wrangler is a different matter?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 2:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Before or after Fiat got involved? It seems to be a running joke here in the South about the number of Jeeps one sees broken down on the interstate - mind you, Jeep Cherokees have always been a bag of shite, I suppose the Wrangler is a different matter?
After, had Grand Cherokees since 2006. Best vehicles I have ever owned from new and very reliable. Jeeps are very popular in Oregon.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

As much as I loved my Honda Pilot, I could not afford another amazing go everywhere machine and have traded it in to buy a Ford Escape (Ford Kuga to all in the UK). I was talked into it by my beloved and actually like it, I do seem to have twinges of that old 'Buyers remorse' feelings. I am impressed with certain extra's like the SYNC which I have not set up and have no intention of doing so, it is also equipped with Sirius satellite radio and I subscribed for a special 6 month offer which I will cancel before it becomes a full monthly rip off, it has hundreds of channels but we only listen to about 4 of them and I am not willing to pay $20.00 a month for that, we can't even get radio 1, 2, 3, or 4. I get those with the BBC iplayer radio on my Android.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 2:51 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

After, had Grand Cherokees since 2006. Best vehicles I have ever owned from new and very reliable. Jeeps are very popular in Oregon.
I had Grand Cherokees back in the 1980s and 90s and they were excellent. Test drove a Wrangler once and it seemed a real rattletrap.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watchamacallit
As much as I loved my Honda Pilot, I could not afford another amazing go everywhere machine and have traded it in to buy a Ford Escape (Ford Kuga to all in the UK). I was talked into it by my beloved and actually like it, I do seem to have twinges of that old 'Buyers remorse' feelings. I am impressed with certain extra's like the SYNC which I have not set up and have no intention of doing so, it is also equipped with Sirius satellite radio and I subscribed for a special 6 month offer which I will cancel before it becomes a full monthly rip off, it has hundreds of channels but we only listen to about 4 of them and I am not willing to pay $20.00 a month for that, we can't even get radio 1, 2, 3, or 4. I get those with the BBC iplayer radio on my Android.
You should get at least three months of SiriusXM free with a new car (even if it was purchased used).
Old Jun 17th 2018, 6:06 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Jeeps are fine so long as you don’t try to use them. Whoever thought of having an aluminium reverse gear needs shooting, here the auto gearboxes last about 30k miles then reverse packs up with literally a shredded gear in the box.

long lasting in the tropics in the rough = South African Toyota hilux (you can’t buy them in the USA, you must buy Mexican.), Isuzu d-max (Thailand) or Honda (british.).

Renowned disasters apart from jeep include the smaller ford trucks (standard saloon gearboxes wear out clutches regularly) and VW anything, (they are just too complex to repair here for actual mechanics who repair rather than ‘fit lots of new ones.)
Old Jun 17th 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by watchamacallit
it is also equipped with Sirius satellite radio and I subscribed for a special 6 month offer which I will cancel before it becomes a full monthly rip off, it has hundreds of channels but we only listen to about 4 of them and I am not willing to pay $20.00 a month for that, we can't even get radio 1, 2, 3, or 4. I get those with the BBC iplayer radio on my Android.
Call to cancel and they will offer a deal keep saying no until they get to the $5 a month offer. It only last for 5 months and then you have to call again, but I have done that since my free trail expired 2 years ago and have only ever paid $5 a month.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

DexterBerkeley is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking of buying a Camaro and considering actually buying new rather than used which is my normal route. If I'm going to buy new I'll custom order as I want it to be the exact spec I want and not something from the lot. I've only spoken to my local Chevy dealer so far but the guy there claims that I order, put down $500 deposit and then we don't negotiate the price until the car is delivered as it's the current incentives at delivery that get us to a starting price.

Is this normal? I would expect to negotiate price at the time of ordering, I'm not sure I want to order without knowing what I'm really get into.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by DexterBerkeley
I'm thinking of buying a Camaro and considering actually buying new rather than used which is my normal route. If I'm going to buy new I'll custom order as I want it to be the exact spec I want and not something from the lot. I've only spoken to my local Chevy dealer so far but the guy there claims that I order, put down $500 deposit and then we don't negotiate the price until the car is delivered as it's the current incentives at delivery that get us to a starting price.

Is this normal? I would expect to negotiate price at the time of ordering, I'm not sure I want to order without knowing what I'm really get into.
When I ordered my Jeep the price was settled at the time the order was placed. When it was delivered from the factory there was a better manufacturers incentive and Jeep applied that to my order. I expected to pay the price I agreed when I ordered so was quite pleased. I certainly wouldn't order on a price to be agreed basis, they have the car, they have your $500, they have you over a barrel.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 8:03 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Having some off-road capability would be nice, but I could never justify owning such a thirsty vehicle. Just doesn't sit well with me to be so wasteful.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

When I ordered my Jeep the price was settled at the time the order was placed. When it was delivered from the factory there was a better manufacturers incentive and Jeep applied that to my order. I expected to pay the price I agreed when I ordered so was quite pleased. I certainly wouldn't order on a price to be agreed basis, they have the car, they have your $500, they have you over a barrel.
Totally agree. I would try going to a large dealer with exact specs and maybe they could locate a car at other dealers and get it for you. Ordering from factory will take a long time, decrease bargaining power.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Having some off-road capability would be nice, but I could never justify owning such a thirsty vehicle. Just doesn't sit well with me to be so wasteful.
Most of the 4x4's round here don't see dirt roads let alone off-road. Mind you, if you can avoid the swampy stuff (for which you'd need a 'mudder'), mucky farm sites and freshly levelled construction sites the average sedan can, and do, go most other places off road round here without any fancy gizmos or worries about getting stuck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.