Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:21 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Quite interested in seeing the new Ranger, when it finally gets here.

On the face of it, it could be what I would look for in a truck these days (don't really need a full size). The engine choice may be an issue though, depending on what is offered compared to overseas.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Quite interested in seeing the new Ranger, when it finally gets here.

On the face of it, it could be what I would look for in a truck these days (don't really need a full size). The engine choice may be an issue though, depending on what is offered compared to overseas.
It's taken long enough for it to be launched in the US!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:41 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's taken long enough for it to be launched in the US!
No kidding.

What engines you think it will get over here?
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No kidding.

What engines you think it will get over here?
The 2.3 4-pot, and the 3.6 6-pot, would be my guess.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:03 am

The 3.6 seems a solid choice. The 2.3 has some less than glowing reviews. No chance of the diesel, I'm guessing.

The trans looks interesting. Hopefully a few of those (10) speeds are decently low.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:10 am

The 3.6 seems a solid choice. The 2.3 has some less than glowing reviews. ....
Well it has issues if you turn it up to try to get 370hp out of it, but otherwise it seems to be reliable enough.
.... No chance of the diesel, I'm guessing. ....
As I don't think you can get a diesel F150, the chances of getting a diesel ranger has to be approximately zero.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:14 am

the chances of getting a diesel ranger has to be approximately zero.
Go ahead. Crush my dreams.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I've gone off Ford as they seem to be pushing more and more toward the EcoBoost engines. While it may be great technology, I'm not convinced about longevity.

Strap a turbo to a smaller engine to get the same power. Formula 1 get 900+HP from a 1.6 but they're shot after 1,000 miles or less.

I just bought a Silverado with their tried & tested V8.

The Expedition now comes with the 3.5L EcoBoost. Take it or leave it.

The base Taurus comes with a 1.5L EcoBoost. I saw rumours a while ago they were planning on dumping the 5.0L from the Mustang line-up.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I've gone off Ford as they seem to be pushing more and more toward the EcoBoost engines. While it may be great technology, I'm not convinced about longevity.

Strap a turbo to a smaller engine to get the same power. Formula 1 get 900+HP from a 1.6 but they're shot after 1,000 miles or less.

...... The Expedition now comes with the 3.5L EcoBoost. Take it or leave it.

The base Taurus comes with a 1.5L EcoBoost. I saw rumours a while ago they were planning on dumping the 5.0L from the Mustang line-up.
I agree, but dumping the V8 from the Mustang will kill it.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by chawkins99

I just bought a Silverado with their tried & tested V8.

The Expedition now comes with the 3.5L EcoBoost. Take it or leave it.

Generally I am a fan of small(er) engines with a turbo strapped to 'em. Just not sure how that would be in a truck. Just have to wait and see I guess.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:30 am

Generally I am a fan of small(er) engines with a turbo strapped to 'em. Just not sure how that would be in a truck. Just have to wait and see I guess.
Well apparently the "engine to have" in the F150 is the 3.6 turbo, even if you're towing, and it seems to have a pretty good reputation.
Go ahead. Crush my dreams.
You deserve it, for describing an automatic transmission as "interesting"!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:34 am

Well apparently the "engine to have" in the F150 is the 3.6 turbo, even if you're towing, and it seems to have a pretty good reputation.
The reviews I had been reading all praised the truck but called the 2.3 "gutless". I wouldn't need it (or expect it) to be a powerhouse, but gutless isn't really what I want either.

Anyhow, I do like the look of it and if it comes with the V6 I shall be very tempted.

So.. No diesel then. Humph.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:38 am

.... gutless isn't really what I want either. ....
Hence the consumption of cake, presumably?
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:45 am

You deserve it, for describing an automatic transmission as "interesting"!
It is a bit of a misnomer.

Hence the consumption of cake, presumably?
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

The numbers certainly indicate the 3.6 is equal to the task but it's not been around long enough to be proven reliable.

There have been a few recalls on some EcoBoost engines due to overheating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.