Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by BenK91

I found a 2012 Tundra online a few weeks ago for a fantastic price down in NM, then I realized it was 2WD. As you said very strange as I wasn't even aware they made them 2WD.
I have just bought a 2wd 2014 Tundra, thanks to a drunk asswipe torpedoing my F150 with his shitty Honda sedan just before Christmas
It's a bit more agricultural than the Ford, the longer bed is nice to have but the bloody thing is scrubbing the brand new front tyres after an alignment and just over a 1000 miles, seems to be a Tundra thing...
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I have just bought a 2wd 2014 Tundra, thanks to a drunk asswipe torpedoing my F150 with his shitty Honda sedan just before Christmas
It's a bit more agricultural than the Ford, the longer bed is nice to have but the bloody thing is scrubbing the brand new front tyres after an alignment and just over a 1000 miles, seems to be a Tundra thing...
I love how the Tundra's look, I saw one in a dark/gunmetal grey this morning and it looked fantastic.

I have just seen a Chevrolet Colorado Z71 that is really tickling my fancy at the dealership my friend manages... The temptation is too much.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Let's talk about cars-img_7104.jpg

This is my 1992 F150 Flareside. I bought it in a very original, but very shabby state from a neighbor for the princely sum of $2750. It is a 4x4 XL Lariat with a 5.0 Windsor EFi V8.
Although all-wheel-drive is arguably redundant in the sun-belt it is a nice option, when it is switchable from the dash.
I've spent a few bucks on it - re-upholstery - new dash and instrument binnacle, MSD electronic ignition and some intake upgrades. The original paint had been cooked off it, so I had it resprayed in it's factory Bimini Blue just before Christmas.
Although I could probably stretch to buying a more modern truck, I really love the character and oddity of this flare side body style. I've lost count of the number of offers to buy it from me, but I doubt I'll ever sell it.
It's not too precious to use to haul stuff from Home Depot or to the city dump - but it is also nice enough to use on a dinner date, rather than our car or SUV.
I'm quite proud of it.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Attachment 129408

This is my 1992 F150 Flareside. I bought it in a very original, but very shabby state from a neighbor for the princely sum of $2750. It is a 4x4 XL Lariat with a 5.0 Windsor EFi V8.
Although all-wheel-drive is arguably redundant in the sun-belt it is a nice option, when it is switchable from the dash.
I've spent a few bucks on it - re-upholstery - new dash and instrument binnacle, MSD electronic ignition and some intake upgrades. The original paint had been cooked off it, so I had it resprayed in it's factory Bimini Blue just before Christmas.
Although I could probably stretch to buying a more modern truck, I really love the character and oddity of this flare side body style. I've lost count of the number of offers to buy it from me, but I doubt I'll ever sell it.
It's not too precious to use to haul stuff from Home Depot or to the city dump - but it is also nice enough to use on a dinner date, rather than our car or SUV.
I'm quite proud of it.
That is awesome!

The color is fantastic too. I bet you've got an inch layer of wax/sealant on it after that respray to stop the sun eating into it!
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are plenty of 2wds in my neck of the woods, including mine. I suspect that further east in NC, where it's flatter, most are 2wd.
Well if they are stuck in the woods that would explain it.

Most of the time I use 2WD but when you need 4WD you really need it.

Or you have to use chains to be legal which is a PITA.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Or you have to use chains to be legal which is a PITA.
Can you use alternatives such as those snow sock/shoe things people never seem to be able to put on correctly?
Old Jan 26th 2018, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Not sure what you're looking at but we have a friend that's the sales manager at a Chevy dealer down here in the metro area so may be able to help.

I found a 2012 Tundra online a few weeks ago for a fantastic price down in NM, then I realized it was 2WD. As you said very strange as I wasn't even aware they made them 2WD.
I am not sure either, current Dog Truck I bought with 130k 10 years old and I knew it had a hard life but was cheap. Now more than doubled everything, might keep it and use it for wood and put a low on it. The car does not get used too small for the dog unless I have the hood down.

I have friends with Tundras and they look nice and have had good reports, 3/4 ton would be nice but I would only use it infrequently for towing.

Just not sure, I was thinking the same, 10 years old and 100k ish but they are not cheap. Well as cheap as I think they should be.

It needs a sliding window in the back for the pup or he will be pissed.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 2:13 am
Account Closed

Can you use alternatives such as those snow sock/shoe things people never seem to be able to put on correctly?
Never seen anybody with them, I saw them mention on COTRIP warnings. I prefer pulling the lever, much quicker.

Hit the Brewpub last Sunday, just needed 4WD in the car park...
Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am not sure either, current Dog Truck I bought with 130k 10 years old and I knew it had a hard life but was cheap. Now more than doubled everything, might keep it and use it for wood and put a low on it. The car does not get used too small for the dog unless I have the hood down.

I have friends with Tundras and they look nice and have had good reports, 3/4 ton would be nice but I would only use it infrequently for towing.

Just not sure, I was thinking the same, 10 years old and 100k ish but they are not cheap. Well as cheap as I think they should be.

It needs a sliding window in the back for the pup or he will be pissed.
Last time I was looking for a truck more seriously I found some good deals in Montana and Idaho. Could be worth a look.

Some of the new Tacoma and Tundra's look really aggressive, shame about the price though.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Documentary on the Ford Transit

Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

That is awesome!

The color is fantastic too. I bet you've got an inch layer of wax/sealant on it after that respray to stop the sun eating into it!
Thanks - re wax - I got it back from the paint shop on December 10th with strict instructions not to apply anything to it except soapy water for 6 weeks. As a result, I clay-bar'd and waxed and machine polished it for the first time, last weekend. Apparently waxing/polishing while the clear-coat is still "green" is a no no.

It has spent the last 25 years exposed to blazing FL sun, so it's earned some garage space for the next 25.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 9:17 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple years back, I had an opportunity to see these vehicles, which are part of an astounding private collection.

First 2 don't need much of an introduction!! ....
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-20160921_180351.jpg   Let's talk about cars-20160921_180031.jpg   Let's talk about cars-20160921_174235.jpg   Let's talk about cars-20160921_174224.jpg   Let's talk about cars-20160921_183658.jpg  

Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
A couple years back, I had an opportunity to see these vehicles, which are part of an astounding private collection.

First 2 don't need much of an introduction!! ....
What a weird selection. The fourth is a deathtrap, and other than being notorious (in the US), and being dumped on the market in the UK after the US outlawed the sale of them, I can't imagine why anyone would want to "collect" one.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 5:58 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What a weird selection. The fourth is a deathtrap, and other than being notorious (in the US), and being dumped on the market in the UK after the US outlawed the sale of them, I can't imagine why anyone would want to "collect" one.
No denying they're a weird selection; the ATV belonged to Michael Jackson, The motorcycle belonged to Steve McQueen, the hearse which carried JFK's casket. The Phantom V belonged to Yoko Ono and started off as sable brown and during its history was changed to its current appearance; I guess dubbed the phantom double. One of the batmobile used in the 80's film. There also was Jackie Onassis's Jaq and a Army Jeep of Sinatra which he drove on his ranch; even the taxi-cab used in Sienfeld is in this collection. It's quite odd what people will collect.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I did a big whoops.

I now have a truck, again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.