Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Hmm.. thanks all, food for thought.

We've dabbled in US imports in the UK for years, but with the current exchange rate being as crappy as it is, the market for US imports in the UK (particularly with crap MPG) is slimming for sure.

I'd love to offset that by in essence importing a UK car, selling that for USD, using the USD to buy a US vehicle, selling that for GBP, using the GBP to buy another UK car.. you see the circle.. it makes the margins far more bearable.

My father would also like to emigrate "part time" to be closer to me & the Mrs. He has property out here in anycase and is semi retired, serving as a part time director in the car business back home, the US arm would assist us in that move too, but certainly isn't a deal breaker.
We have an operation similar to what you have in mind. We ship container loads of motorcycles to the UK and use the pounds to buy spare parts in the UK and ship them to the USA.
Regarding cars we import Land Rover 110 / 130 models left hand drive only from France, Italy and the Middle East.
Most traffic for the popular cars such as MGs, Triumph and Jaguars seems to be from the USA to the UK as depending on the location there can be significantly less rust than the UK / Northern European models.
I not know about Texas but in Virginia to sell more than four cars per annum you need to be a registered dealer.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:33 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
We have an operation similar to what you have in mind. We ship container loads of motorcycles to the UK and use the pounds to buy spare parts in the UK and ship them to the USA.
Regarding cars we import Land Rover 110 / 130 models left hand drive only from France, Italy and the Middle East.
Most traffic for the popular cars such as MGs, Triumph and Jaguars seems to be from the USA to the UK as depending on the location there can be significantly less rust than the UK / Northern European models.
I not know about Texas but in Virginia to sell more than four cars per annum you need to be a registered dealer.
I can offer storage for a small Healey, if you need somewhere to put one, have someone run it around town once-a-week (you know... to keep the battery charged) and generally look after it.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:16 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I can offer storage for a small Healey, if you need somewhere to put one, have someone run it around town once-a-week (you know... to keep the battery charged) and generally look after it.
Such self-sacrifice. You're an example to us all.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:54 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Such self-sacrifice. You're an example to us all.
I do my best.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:37 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

just gotten my M Roadster back from the body shop .
Happy again
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-bmw-z3m.jpg  
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:47 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
Happy again
Are you a hairdresser by any chance?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:46 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Are you a hairdresser by any chance?
Lol, the old ones are the best.
No ,I'm a homosexual. Never cut a head of hair in my life.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 4:09 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, the old ones are the best.
No ,I'm a homosexual. Never cut a head of hair in my life.
A friend here had one, he was so upset by the news his baby was considered a hairdressers car, he went out and bought a hirsuite amg x5, far more suitable for here.

The 2 door ground clearanceless one is still mouldering in his yard, nobody wants it.

Having said that the locals are mad for subaru imprezas and mitsubishi go faster saloons, they lower the suspension, fit painted on tyres, then wonder why they wont go over speed humps and the wheels crack annually on our rough roads.

I drive an isuzu arctic truck, in the tropics, which confuses many till i point out double glazing works in the heat too, massive tyres are great on potholed roads, and a yard of ground clearance keepss the riff raff out :-)
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Happy again
E36 or E46 engine ?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:15 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
E36 or E46 engine ?
There were 2 designs in the E36/7 Z3s
Both 3.2Lt

I have the eariler, S52 245hp version. The later the S54, 315hp model would get me into too much trouble.

E46? Not sure that's applicable to the Z3
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

There were 2 designs in the E36/7 Z3s
Both 3.2Lt

I have the eariler, S52 245hp version. The later the S54, 315hp model would get me into too much trouble.

E46? Not sure that's applicable to the Z3
Sorry, I was mixing up the versions of the M3 (E36 and E46) with the engines (S52 and S54)
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I always wanted to see an F1 field take on The Corkscrew in anger. It will never happen, and so this is probably as close as I will ever get.

And here are five passes in a Ferrari F2004, which give a better impression of what it might look like with more modern cars. Apparently a Viper takes about 1:33 to do a lap of Laguna Seca, a modern track sports car can lap around 1:20 - these laps were around 1:07-1:08!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2018 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone ever watched one of those Ken Block Gymkhana slide around video things?

Basically me on the way to work this morning with my summer tires (tyres!!!) on here in CO after a pretty decent dump of snow

Time to invest in winter rubber me thinks...
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenK91
Anyone ever watched one of those Ken Block Gymkhana slide around video things?

Basically me on the way to work this morning with my summer tires (tyres!!!) on here in CO after a pretty decent dump of snow

Time to invest in winter rubber me thinks...
My COSTCO all season work fine, having said that I did get a flat on Saturday, looks like a nail.

I very rarely need 4 wheel but when you need it you need it.

You may be aware that CDOT have gone slightly bonkers with Traction Law (Code 15)

During an active Traction Law (also known as a Code 15), motorists must have either snow tires, tires with the mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle. All tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.

I have come across many people who have flown in, rented at DIA but seem clueless that their vehicles are not compliant.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My COSTCO all season work fine, having said that I did get a flat on Saturday, looks like a nail.

I very rarely need 4 wheel but when you need it you need it.

You may be aware that CDOT have gone slightly bonkers with Traction Law (Code 15)

During an active Traction Law (also known as a Code 15), motorists must have either snow tires, tires with the mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle. All tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.

I have come across many people who have flown in, rented at DIA but seem clueless that their vehicles are not compliant.
Definitely had no idea about that CDOT law, very interesting to know!

It’s mostly my neighborhood that sucks, the plows can’t get here so it just turns into a skating rink. Some of I-25 and US36 was pretty bad but mostly okay if your speed is reflecting the conditions.

I need to hurry up and pay the GTI off so I can just get another truck and stop whining!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.