Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by BenK91
Finally got a call from VW this morning.

We have a lot of rodents here in CO, especially around where I live. Basically one of them decided to chew through a chunk of my wiring harness while I was out of town on business.

As it's outside influence it's obviously not going to be covered under warranty so I'm looking to lose around $500-$550.

I may not respond for a while, I'll be roaming the neighborhood with some sort of weapon trying to take out every rodent within a mile.
DH had a rat in his car that got itself up behind the dashboard and died. Stunk to high heaven, and so did the bill for getting it out and checking over everything. I would put a bit more money by for the bill if I were you.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

John Hennesey has just come with a limited production car he claims will hit 300mph.
Unlike the Venom GT, which was based on the Lotus GT, albeit a heavily modified Lotus GT, the Venom F5 (the new car) is new from the ground up.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
My US spec Defender110 has a 4-on-the-floor ; what a PITA it is. When I rebuild the LR , that dam manual is coming out and in goes an auto.

One of the vehicles I drive most days is a 110 with a 5 speed and have no issues, our children are the same.
If you start cutting engine mounts to put in something different you will devalue the vehicle in my opinion.
I have seen a few GEMS, LS and Cummins conversions.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
One of the vehicles I drive most days is a 110 with a 5 speed and have no issues, our children are the same.
If you start cutting engine mounts to put in something different you will devalue the vehicle in my opinion.
I have seen a few GEMS, LS and Cummins conversions.
Devaluation isn't the primary concern for me, even though I presume my landie has a collector appeal, being 1 of the 500 1993 d110 imported into the US.

I bought the vehicle, because I lusted after one since my teen years. I itend to do a full frame off .

A brand new frame, possibly galvanized. The reason I say possibly, is because sometimes the galvanization process can warp a frame. I know there are new galavanized frames but I am only aware of 3rd party frame builders offering this. I want to only replace with a factory Defender D110 frame. The original frame looks ok, but if I am going to do a frame-off, why not just go all the way and replace everything.

The engine is going to be the ecodiesel Dodge offers in their 1500 trucks.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
DH had a rat in his car that got itself up behind the dashboard and died. Stunk to high heaven, and so did the bill for getting it out and checking over everything. I would put a bit more money by for the bill if I were you.
It was $455 in the end with tax.

It had also chewed through a parking sensor wire, on top of the DV and the sensor for cylinder 4.

When I came home last night and parked it I poured a ton of coyote urine crystals out and then sprayed the area with more coyote urine... Oh and then put a small 2x4 under the front of the car also soaked in coyote urine.

Haven't seen a rabbit since!
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 4:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

It had also chewed through a parking sensor wire, on top of the DV and the sensor for cylinder 4.

When I came home last night and parked it I poured a ton of coyote urine crystals out and then sprayed the area with more coyote urine... Oh and then put a small 2x4 under the front of the car also soaked in coyote urine.

/ waits for tale of amorous coyote attack whilst getting into car
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
/ waits for tale of amorous coyote attack whilst getting into car
My healthcare deductible is significantly less than the $455 I just shelled out!
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 4:19 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

My healthcare deductible is significantly less than the $455 I just shelled out!
The $ amount is somewhat suspect. Our bill was also $500.00

Standard charge for rodent incursions?
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutek
The $ amount is somewhat suspect. Our bill was also $500.00

Standard charge for rodent incursions?
I have the breakdown on parts and labor and it doesn't seem particularly unreasonable but I did see on Reddit someone in CO with a 2009 Jetta had the same issue and his bill was around the same too.

They did send me a video of my car being inspected by the technician which was kinda corny. Let me see if I can attach it!

https://qkvideo.net/#/service/watch/...efe47809cfda1a

Last edited by BenK91; Nov 2nd 2017 at 4:24 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Honda sells rodent deterrent tape, which is treated with capsaicin. Which wrapped around important wires is supposed to prevent rodents chewing through wires.
Supposedly automakers are using soy based coatings that appeal to rodents,
according to Consumer Reports.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Honda sells rodent deterrent tape, which is treated with capsaicin. Which wrapped around important wires is supposed to prevent rodents chewing through wires.
Supposedly automakers are using soy based coatings that appeal to rodents,
according to Consumer Reports.
We've got a Black Racer that hangs out in the yard, perfect rodent deterrent!!
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie Stewart Heineken ads ...

I saw the Heineken ad where Jackie Stewart declines to drink because he's driving. Seen it a lot of times on mainstream US TV (TNT, tonight, during basketball game). It occurred to me - why would they be using Jackie Stewart in the US? Surely he was a British 'name' but not well known over here?
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 2:26 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I saw the Heineken ad where Jackie Stewart declines to drink because he's driving. Seen it a lot of times on mainstream US TV (TNT, tonight, during basketball game). It occurred to me - why would they be using Jackie Stewart in the US? Surely he was a British 'name' but not well known over here?
I think he’s one of those people who transcend their sport — like Fangio and Lauder.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 4:26 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

As far as F1 legends who would be well known here, it's probably because it's easier to use him than Senna or James Hunt.

(Also )
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
As far as F1 legends who would be well known here, it's probably because it's easier to use him than Senna or James Hunt.

(Also )
Either one of which leave him in the shade.

Stuart's an irritating prick that needed to STFU about 20 years ago. Or preferably sooner. :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.